i30 Owners Club

Shell Diesel?

Lakes · 7 · 2345

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi all , well i normally use mobile diesel or BP Ultimate, but filled with shell, on briming it i could see it was low foaming diesel like all the premium diesel's but just had diesel on the pump. i mentioned to station owner where i filled the diesel was low foaming, he asked if that was ok. i asked if it is a premium diesel he does not know, does anyone else know? as last time i used shell it was foaming type.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I have never heard of 'foaming' and 'low foaming' diesel.

If it helps, I generally use Shell premium diesel in my i30.  Runs lovely.  I find it sounds very tractorish on the BP stuff.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have never heard of 'foaming' and 'low foaming' diesel.

If it helps, I generally use Shell premium diesel in my i30.  Runs lovely.  I find it sounds very tractorish on the BP stuff.

What Lakes (John) in particular has noticed is that Premium Diesel tends to foam up much less which makes it easier and quicker to brim the tank if wanting to do accurate brim to brim fuel mileage calculations.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I didn't even know there was such a thing as premium diesel. We have a setting on the nozzle at most stations for slow/fast fill rates(with the latter labeled truck/SUV, so I'm guessing larger tanks). Filling only takes 2-3 minutes for 50 liters anyway on the slow(car) setting.

I usually fill at a circle K(used to be statoil) unmanned station, but never noticed any difference if filling from a manned station or different brand. I know there is a difference between summer and winter diesel, though I don't know what it is and I can't hear or feel it.

Edit: never noticed any foaming either...
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thank you Craig , Dazz & xiziz , for your reply's!!

Xiziz they don't label at the pump as premium Diesel but BP & Caltex here use the same name's for there low foaming Diesel as they use with the 98 premium petrol like Ultimate Diesel & Vortex Diesel, all marketing i suspect, but Shell don't but i read Shell have been doing a lot of work to improve Diesel fuels, but are always the most expensive fuel here in my state NSW & in Sydney , so as they just have Diesel with no marketing name, but online i found they do have a Diesel Extra, i still have not see that one yet. but as i said on briming my little 4X4 diesel truck i could see it was no foaming Diesel, on start up ( probably had 25L of foaming Mobile in tank i put 55L shell non foaming ) when i first drove off did not feel too happy but ran fine just i could feel a change ( funny as when i fill with BP ultimate in Sydney or at a local servo that stocks it i don't notice anything till latter and just feels smoother and pulls from very low revs smoother. but with this i felt it was not happy at first but now i notice it loves it and not a full tank yet so will fill it before my trip up to Sydney on weekend.
also on reading up on info i found on Shell Diesel, it said they have an additive that lubricates the fuel pump, so this is a good thing!!
xiziz we have those pumps that you can push the high flow button or slower flow button but only at big Service stations in Sydney not where i live but we have a lot of the big nozel truck high flow pumps that flow through a larger diameter hose & nozel so fill very fast. Also on your winter fuel & summer fuel i have read about that and could possibly be in some alpine regions of Australia but our climate mild in winter but can be hot in summer. though we have two different types of heat, this is why you guy's in Euro find it hard to imagine temps of 50c being liveable. but you go west toward the centre of Australia and the hot 45c  55c summer is very dry low humidity so only need shade and its not too bad shade and water. but near the coast those temps feel a lot hotter as higher humidity ( more water in the air ).
i'll be using Shell diesel more now. but on my MC it will still be BP 98

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
In the UK we get regular and premium diesel. Shell's marketing department went a bit nuts and called theirs 'V-Power Nitro+', making it sound like something you put in a dragster. They do premium unleaded with the same branding. It's more expensive but it seems to be good stuff.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I once tried the Shell V-Power diesel on a trip to Croatia towing the caravan. I Couldn't see/feel any improvement in economy or power, but it cost the blue out of the sky...  :scared:

Never ever will I pay that excessive price for diesel again..  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal