i30 Owners Club

2012 i30 Diesel Elite: steering issues

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
Hi. This is my first post on the forum , I've just purchased a second hand 2012 GD i30 Elite diesel manual. I've owned a few Hyundai Excels before now but my current other car is a 500hp tuned Mitsubishi Evo 9, so  a diesel  i30 is a bit of a departure from the norm for me, great car though, really enjoying the calmness and quite when I'm driving it, and having a tank of fuel last longer than 350km

I have a few questions about the car and have had a look through the forum looking for an answer, but haven't found what I'm looking for so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help. 

First up I've noticed the steering issue mentioned in other threads on here. The car is very difficult to keep in a straight line, especially at Hwy speeds. There seems to be a big dead spot at dead centre that allows the wheels to wander, you can actually feel the stepper motors loading up the steering wheel as you attempt to correct the cars direction, continuely chopping at the wheel to do so. The question is... is this an issue that Hyundai admit exists, something I can go to the dealer with, taking into account this is a brand new car for me,  and say "I've got that issue with the steering" and they'll know what I'm talking about?  or will I have to "prove" there's a problem, and is the fix a software or a hardware change?

The other issue is with the head unit. My car has the GPS unit with a Australia Map thats version is 2011.Q3 . The previous owner had a full service history but the servicing wasn't done by Hyundai, so I'm not sure if the maps were ever updated since 2012. I asked about this at the local Hyundai dealer and they told me that they can update the map version  but not with a recent map because the new maps aren't compatible with my head unit. Does this sound right and if so what version of the Australian map should I be after for a late 2012 built car?

Hopefully these questions are not too much of a problem to answer, I'd just like some ammo to take to the dealer when I take the car in on Monday morning. I'd like to be able to get any warranty issues sorted before the warranty runs out in November. Cheers 
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Jodi, and  :welcome:

Hopefully @Doggie 1  will be along shortly to hook you up with his own steering adventure you can use to wave in front of Hy's noses. As for map update, I'm guessing quite a few will be able to let you know the latest available for yours, and around the forum you'll find some innovative aftermarket options if you're keen on trying it. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: Jodi,

Very succinct first post! Plenty of info there to enable us to help you. Yes, as Gonz says, Dave is probably the best one to explain his steering woes. Hopefully others will also give some input. Is it pulling to one side in particular or just wandering randomly? 

We don't have GPS in our current i30 but even if you could get yours updated inbuilt GPS are usually still hopelessly out of date in most brands. If you find there is a way to update it, don't pay any money unless you can establish that the update is no more than a few months old. I recently got conned into an update for my Holden ($126) which made bu**er all difference in my local area.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
Thanks for the replies guys. The steering wandering is in both directions, I actually took a little video to show the Hyundai dealer. I basically lined up the steering wheel to get the car travelling in a straight line and over a distance of maybe 150mtrs the car drifts off the road to the left onto the shoulder, I then recentre the wheel to get the car to get it into the middle of the lane and again, over maybe 150mtrs,  the car drifts over to the right into the oncoming lane. When I'm driving at hwy speeds I have to constantly steer the car down the road, moving the steering wheel in a arc of maybe 10 degrees to keep the car in the lane, and as I make these adjustments I can feel the electric motors load up and then release the steering tension on either extreme, which kind of makes the car feel like it's sliding sideways on the road, it's a very disconcerting feeling.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Gidday mate, welcome aboard.

You have made an excellent choice with the diesel manual.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the power steer module ( on the column ) is failing at high speed and then over correcting. If so , the whole column with EPS etc needs to be replaced.

Modified Post:  Its not a common fault, but one that Hyundai HQ know about. Individual dealers may not, or may say they are unaware :rolleyes:.
But, @Doggie 1 will advise you , he has had his changed , it was a recall issue.

I presume that the wheel alignment is Ok ????
And does the problem resolve if ESP is switched off?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:34:19 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi and yes, mine was replaced under warranty although it took some fighting to get it done, including involving Hyundai Australia PR dept.
It wasn't a recall issue but eventually Hyundai Australia admitted liability and replaced the whole unit.
The symptoms you describe are pretty much it.
No problems around town but at highway speeds it's impossible to drive in a straight line and you are always making small corrections. But when you do, the steering "loads up" and becomes dead.
This results in you drifting into other lanes/oncoming traffic, etc as you constantly have to correct right, correct left, correct right, etc. It's a pain and dangerous.
My car was eventually taken (at Hyundai's request) to the state's largest dealership.
They had the car for a week, said they couldn't fault it and subsequently charged me a fee for the privilege of them taking a look for me.
That was John Hughes Hyundai.   :fum:
The next dealership was Mandurah Hyundai. They actually looked at a warranty issue for free     :goodjob:  :crazy1: and the first they wanted me to do was replace the front tyres as the ones on there had started to wear on the edges.
So I paid for the new tyres and a wheel alignment at the tyre shop they use (important point).
That was Bridgestone Tyres in Mandurah.
When they tried to do an alignment they couldn't, because in their words, the sensor was all over the place.
They rang Mandurah Hyundai, confirmed what I already knew, and the dealership replaced the whole EPS/steering column under warranty and had it aligned and it all was good.
Good luck with it. Keep us informed.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. I've got the car booked in at my local  Hyundai dealer in Albion Park in the Illawarra for Monday morning. I originally booked it in to get the head unit checked as it locks up if I receive a phone call (over Bluetooth) and don't hang up first, but this steering issue is now my main concern. I've book marked a few threads on here tovshow them, so hopefully I'll have some luck, and understanding, with the issue. I love the car, and bar this issue, it's perfect for our family, enough room for the family and amazing fuel economy. I'll see how I go on Monday and post up my adventures.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No worries. Good luck.

If the first dealer isn't receptive or proactive then try another. As Dave's experience and others on here have shown it can make a big difference. :cool:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

And I named and shamed the one who didn't want to help and showered the one who did with accolades.
Mandurah Hyundai were fantastic.
Their technician who was working on my car kept coming out into their customer lounge to keep me informed and ask questions.
They actually listened to what I said, whereas previously it was painfully apparent that I wasn't being listened to.
I guess that's the difference between volume and true customer service.
I later wrote to the dealer principal to thank him and also to H/A to advise them.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
Well some news, kinda. I took it into a certain Hyundai dealer in Albion Park Rail in the Illawarra with a few issues. The steering one mentioned in my original post,  the head unit upgrade, and another issue found the day before, which is the clutch creaking as I press and release the pedal. I thought the clutch pedal felt, for lack of a better word, crunchy when I pressed it in. I had my son push it in and let it out whilst I listened in the engine bay. The source was definitely coming from the clutch slave cylinder area, and after lubing up the joint between the slave and clutch fork, I worked out the sound was coming from inside the bell housing, the noise being loud pings and pops. I assumed either, or both, the clutch fork pivots and clutch splines are dry, thinking the grease has dried out. So.. I mentioned this, and it was obvious if you pushed the clutch and listened under the bonnet, the steering issue and the head unit upgrade. The service manager (I assume) said he wouldn't upgrade thie head unit in any way because it was over 3 years old (out of warranty) and there was a risk of bricking it.... not sure about this but fair enough I guess. I tried to explain the steering issue... he looked at me with a look that had "whatever" written all over it, and said he'd look into it. As far as the  clutch noise  goes he came out to the car and had a listen, but being right next to the Hwy couldn't really hear anything. I did tell him I'd sprayed the slave cylinder pin (whatever it's called) with lithium grease where it meets the fork, but doing this didn't help with the noise.

This was at 7am, first car there, at 4pm I rang them asking if the car was ready to be picked up. The reply was, the steering had been set to "normal" and the slave cylinder pin had been lubed

What could I say, I picked up the car, the clutch still creaking, the steering still wandering (obviously), complete waste of time and effort even taking it in.

So today I went to the other Hyundai dealer near me, in Moss Vale. I actually took a video of the clutch creak. I asked to talk to a mechanic, spoke to a young guy, showed him the video., too which he replied, "sounds like the fork and splined have dried outy, gearbox  will have to come out". I explained the steering issue, he said he'd update the ecu/esp etc, and if that didn't help a new steering system might be needed. I booked the car in for the 21st of April (first day with a loan car available) and feel a lot more confidence that these issues might actually get fixed this time. Update to follow.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sounds very promising. Fingers crossed! :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update.  Isn't it amazing the differences between dealerships. When/if these issues are sorted later in the month, Hyundai really does need to be made aware of these situations. 

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
  :disapp: Yes Dazz, you should have a hot key to save repeat typing this same frustration.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, true Gary. I was very customer focused in all my jobs, which resulted in great customer relationships.  Even if you sometimes can't fix a situation you need to be empathetic and make your best attempt. I always believe you get out of a job/relationship what you put into it. Some of these service people must end up hating their jobs because they wouldn't have many happy customers.  I've ended up having good relationships with people I have foreclosed on or repossessed even, it's all about showing empathy and compassion and being genuine and tactful. (Rant over)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Given the recent invite, I wonder if the good people at Hyundai browse these forums?

I know in forums like Whirlpool company reps pop up to assist customers. I think it is the ultimate in customer service, and looks good to a brand for a potential customer to see that problems are sorted (it also helps them identify areas (or dealers) where they might be lacking.

In the above example dealer 1 has claimed the easy warranty money from Hyundai, avoiding what would be a more difficult and less profitable exercise.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
Sounds like you've found a decent, honest dealer who not only shows an interest but knows what the potential problems and remedies for them.
Keep us updated, 
Moss Vale is not that far from the Campbelltown area for those with issues with the local dealer and it's a nice place to spend the day.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

My guess is H/A would monitor this forum.
 :offtopic: @Dazzler I heard on the radio this morning that Radio Rentals is having a big class action launched against them for ripping off their customers over a lot of years in all states except South Australia. I hope your liability insurance is up to date.   ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My guess is H/A would monitor this forum.
 :offtopic: @Dazzler I heard on the radio this morning that Radio Rentals is having a big class action launched against them for ripping off their customers over a lot of years in all states except South Australia. I hope your liability insurance is up to date.   ;)
Yeah, I saw that. I don't have shares in them fortunately.  I was only working under instructions.  I made a point of not renting to friends either... It certainly is an expensive way to acquire stuff!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For the last few years I just did part time sales. (Semi-retired)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I was only working under instructions.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
  I was only working under instructions.
Yep, that's where I found him. :P

"ns"

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

They're coming for your millions, Dazz.    :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline minhI30-crdi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Congratulation on your purchase, smart choice you did not buy a automatic gearbox, i30 Crdi with 4 speed gear box has a design fault ... look on forum for no reverse gear I30. I would stay away from Hyundai after 4.4 K out of pocket after my I30 with no reverse gear after 7 months out of warranty during warranty period I had my rear wiper, windows motor replaced. I  have listened to my wife get rid of it after 2 warranty repair issue.
  • I30 CRDI MY2011

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Dazz Looks above.  :Shocked: Well , so far, that's 3 loyal friends who have deserted.  :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz Looks above.  :Shocked: Well , so far, that's 3 loyal friends who have deserted.  :faint:
Yeah, hung me out to dry quick as a flash. They could have rented a dryer from RR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :D well said.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Given the recent invite, I wonder if the good people at Hyundai browse these forums?

I know in forums like Whirlpool company reps pop up to assist customers. I think it is the ultimate in customer service, and looks good to a brand for a potential customer to see that problems are sorted (it also helps them identify areas (or dealers) where they might be lacking.

In the above example dealer 1 has claimed the easy warranty money from Hyundai, avoiding what would be a more difficult and less profitable exercise.

Mate opened this up elsewhere with suggestion about a new page. ;)

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
@Fireescape I found that the City Motors Group in Albion Park Rail are complete idiots as well - no care given, complete liars and didn't look after their customers - goes to show, they still don't.

With the problems that I had with my car, I was contemplating driving to Moss Vale at the time, but didn't have the option of getting 2 cars up there to have a lift home.

Hopefully they didn't charge you for the little work they did - the $135 or something.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Fireescape

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands
Hi h20melon
No, they didn't charge me anything, but they didn't do anything, so I guess we're even.
  • 2012 i30 Diesel Elite

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal