Author Topic: Steering knock  (Read 21465 times)

• au Australia
    Ipswich
Re: Steering knock
« Reply #90 : June 08, 2018, 17:32:40 »
Probably the difference between ignoring it and knowing something was not right.

I enjoy the end result, the journey sometimes is painful. :scared:

Do we interpret the above as:
 "although I am an expert in this field, I ignored the obvious because I crave to be reamed by my wife" ?
  :twisted:

:whistler:
You may, but what i'm saying is early intervention is preferred and likelhy why it's still mainly intact.

Also an after thought probably not related but i noticed some grease had entered the chamber from the column side. Just wondering if that may have set off a chemical reaction with the bushing?

I doubt it was plastic friendly lube.  :idea:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

• england England
    Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
« Reply #91 : April 02, 2021, 05:16:30 »
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

• au Australia
    Sydney
« Reply #92 : April 03, 2021, 03:02:33 »
I found this on U Tube

It gives you some idea of the area on the power steer, but for some reason,  he tries to work on it under the dash
(he's a Pom :rolleyes:).

There is a better one , but I cant find it, that was done by a Canadian bloke. Therefore, he is quite practical and intelligent.  :happydance:  If you don't pick the Canadian accent, you know he isn't American because he does not wear gloves, safety goggles, a cap or a dustcoat.  :mrgreen:
In my opinion, he has the sense to unplug the motor and undo the 12mm shaft to rack bolt ; then do the bush change on a workbench.
Yep ... our MY13 GD Tourer CRDi had this bushing mashed away a month ago - well it probably had disintegrated sometime before but I noticed the knocking noise last month when turning the steering whilst the car was stationary (no noise thankfully when steering whilst car in motion).

Our trusty mechanic had worked on this same issue with a Veloster and i20; for us $40 part and 3hrs labour later, he showed me the disintegrated bushing, explaining it stood no chance from the heat from the motor etc and our almost exclusive city driving.

Anyway on balance the $400+ bill might have been undesirable, but hey we’ve owned and driven 100k km of this car’s 122k km and this was our first unscheduled repair (aside from the Euro spec brake rotors eating themselves away every 50k km but hey that’s Euro soft pads and rotors for you!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• nz New Zealand
    Auckland
« Reply #93 : April 03, 2021, 17:02:38 »
Just wondering, is it an audible hard knock? Could it product like a squelching noise like rubber moving against metal?

I noticed on our FD it makes a squelching noise about half way to full lock when turning the wheel to the right, only does it for part of the turn about mid way then stops. Haven't noticed it turning left but I haven't listened for it specifically. I thought it sounded like a dust boot slipping on the steering rod shaft but haven't been under to have a look yet.
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

• Tyre Guru
  • au Australia
    Caloundra, Queensland.
« Reply #94 : April 03, 2021, 18:27:28 »
In my experience it's a definite knock.
I have heard sounds like you describe which always turned out to be a shroud or plastic cover making light contact somewhere.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

• nz New Zealand
    Auckland
« Reply #95 : April 03, 2021, 19:54:18 »
In my experience it's a definite knock.
I have heard sounds like you describe which always turned out to be a shroud or plastic cover making light contact somewhere.
That was my first thought too, but reading this thread make me panic a little lol  :crazy2:
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Adelaide
  • Callsign GUNZ
« Reply #96 : April 07, 2021, 02:51:42 »
Well, it's my extended "excess REC LVE" Easter break and I have a bag of couplings in one hand and a bunch of Youtube vids on the hard drive.

My questions of an accomplished thought leader as yourself @tw2005 are:
- how much unbolting can I manage to avoid? Can I do with removing plastic, lying upside down in the footwell - as I did for replacing the flasher unit for LEDs - and then removing the Mobus box before separating the coupling surfaces?
- does the end dashboard panel (with the fusebox lid) just pull off or are there concealed screws somewhere?
- what screw/bolt tips and sizes will I be needing (Torx, Phillips, hex, etc)?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:59:05 by The Gonz » »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG's PDSRPremAuto

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal