i30 Owners Club

Weird noises when starting

Offline Jonathan

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark
Hello, i´ve got a problem with my i30 2008 1.6crdi 116hp. When it starts cold it sounds like it goes on 3 cylinders or something for about 10-20 seconds. After the 10-20 seconds there`s nothing. I´ve heard that it could be the glowplugs but im not sure, the sound appear about 80% of the time when i start. Only when the engine is cold. I hope you guys can help :-) im new on the i30 ownersclub. It looks like a great forum! I´m looking forward to use it. Greetings from Denmark.
  • Hyundai i30 2008

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hello, i´ve got a problem with my i30 2008 1.6crdi 116hp. When it starts cold it sounds like it goes on 3 cylinders or something for about 10-20 seconds. After the 10-20 seconds there`s nothing. I´ve heard that it could be the glowplugs but im not sure, the sound appear about 80% of the time when i start. Only when the engine is cold. I hope you guys can help :-) im new on the i30 ownersclub. It looks like a great forum! I´m looking forward to use it. Greetings from Denmark.

Well with out having a lot of Diesel experience myself , I think you're probably on the money with a bad glowplug.

You may have one not performin as it should which would explain a lumpy start. Any white smoke at the back when it does this?

My wagon's previous motor was a bit lumpy and lazy on cold starts, I had 2 seized plugs and they were not seated right allowing blowby. They also were badly fouled as well which I'm assuming they were not heating correctly either.

Be warned though that it's a bit of a common issue with these plugs seizing. They will shear straight off at the head if you try to remove them.

Mine had brown stains around the two that got stuck from blowby getting past the threads.

Can't give any tips for how to prep them to avoid breaking them, @nzenigma or @cruiserfied  or @Asterix may have. I know Asterix has first hand experience with jammed glows and Nzenigma has a fair bit of exposure to these too. Cruiserfield is a trained Hyundai Tech.

I will have a look and see if I can find my thread for some images
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Found it.

:link: Glowplug Extraction

And yes I found some comments I made about this engine having lumpy cold starts.

I only tempted this as I had the motor out and not needed. I'd hate to try it in car.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Jonathan

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark
Thanks a lot. Ill try and see if there's any white smoke tomorrow, maybe replace them on friday. If i do i will keep you updated :-)
  • Hyundai i30 2008

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Jonathan
 :wttc:

If you want to replace them yourself, make sure the engine is operating temperature when you remove the plugs. DO NOT put any grease on the threads when you fit the new plugs again..!

When I last changed the plugs I wanted to do it good and added some cupper grease, thinking they would be easier to remove next time. Wrong.! They seized and I ended up having another cylinder head because of that mistake..!
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I have owned two i30 diesels loved both!! first one was same year as yours never blew white smoke on start up & always started easy & quickly. second one was 2011 6 speed, it started easy & quickly too, just i started seeing white smoke but started ok

i think you could be right, but do you give your glow plugs enough time before starting?

i think whats happening is one glow plug slow to heat or not working & after motor fires on three cal, the heat from other three starting fires the fourth cal up. problem is you don't know what one does not fire up with other three.
if a thread dry i stop trying to remove and spray a lot of WD40 around the base to lubricate the tread then try again but try to undo the try to tighten but not try too hard just enough to break the seal then they come out if not, might need heat so safest way would be start & drive to get to operating temp, then WD40 then same procedure.
but if no experience with working on motors, get help.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Jonathan, welcome. :)
 You said that :

...on 3 cylinders or something for about 10-20 seconds. After the 10-20 seconds there`s nothing.

As you haven't contradicted anyone, I assume  " there's nothing " means running OK on all four cylinders; not   stopped running ???

It is highly probable that you have a dead glow plug and as Lakes says, the heat from the 3 operating cylinders completes the preheat for the 4th.

With only one dead glow plug you may not see a lot of white smoke.
If you decide to change them ( one down means the rest are ready to die too), prep the glow plugs with the WD40 for a couple of days before you attempt the removal, in the manner Lakes has outlined.
BUT.. essentially, remove them from the motor when it is hot, the internal gum deposits under the plugs will be soft.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Jonathon,

Our members are in top form giving help with this one! Thanks to all (great advice)  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Well my work here is done.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Jonathan

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark
Update: it's like the noice is not appearing as often anymore and not as loud, but im in doubt about what to do, im going on a 3600km roadtrip from denmark to norway in a week :/
  • Hyundai i30 2008

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Update: it's like the noice is not appearing as often anymore and not as loud, but im in doubt about what to do, im going on a 3600km roadtrip from denmark to norway in a week :/
Has this coincided with slightly warmer weather? If so this would tend to confirm the glow plug theory.

Offline Jonathan

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark
I don't think so, it has not been very warm here in Denmark the last weeks in the morning, but i've tried to turn the ignition off and on several times before starting the engine to pre heat, and it seems like the noise it almost gone when I do that
  • Hyundai i30 2008

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I don't think so, it has not been very warm here in denmark the last weeks in the morning, but i've tried to turn the ignition off and on several times before starting the engine to pre heat, and it seems like the noice it almost gone when i do that

That would also indicate that the glow plugs are dead, or some of them, as the extended preheating on the remaining working glow plugs seems to solve the problem.

You can have your workshop check the glow plugs to give you piece of mind, but if it's just the glow plugs there's no problem doing the Norway trip.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Jonathan

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark
So i shouldnt be worried about the trip ? :-) The pre heat lamp dissapears pretty fast, faster than my friends 2002 vw diesel.
  • Hyundai i30 2008

Offline Jonathan

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark
I just came back from the roadtrip, the noise is alot better now, almost gone. I think it was really healthy for it to drive so long
  • Hyundai i30 2008

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I just came back from the roadtrip, the noise is alot better now, almost gone. I think it was really healthy for it to drive so long

Thanks for reporting back, good to hear.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal