i30 Owners Club

i30 2008 diesel auto won't start after stopping at traffic lights

Analuz · 13 · 4340

Offline Analuz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All, can someone advice me on this issue. my i30 stoped working when I stopped at traffic lights, try to restart it 3 times but didn't work. i was towed to ultra tune in Adelaide (road trip w my kid), they said it was the battert, then filter, now they tell me is the transmission, which they can't find a spare part, so i'm stuck in Adelaide. i has a service done 2 weeks ago for d road trip. As a woman i know very little about engines and can not do any fixing or checking. Any idea how much a transmission costs? Ana😐
  • Hyundai i30 Auto Diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I doubt it's the transmission :undecided: sounds like ultratune don't have a clue so I'd suggest getting it to a Hyundai dealership for a proper inspection.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Agree with Craig. I can't think of any reason a transmission would cause the engine not to start. Ultratune generally has a very low diagnosis ability. I would be getting it to Hyundai, they might charge more but hopefully they will fix it right first time and in half the time or less.

After the engine stalled would it wind over when you tried to start it or was it completely dead?
Being a Diesel I would consider getting the fuel checked for sludge and metal partials in fuel tank. Your symptoms (if engine cranks over) are as you would see with Diesel bug contamination.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Analuz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The engine was completely dead. Thanks for the suggestions. Will let you know how i go, since the car is dead i don't know how i can get it to a Hyundai dealer. Where is a knight when you need one?  :)
  • Hyundai i30 Auto Diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do you have car insurance or roadside assistance? they might cover your costs to get the car delivered to a Hyundai service centre or if not then a flatbed tow truck is the next option but that will likely set you back $150 minimum :(

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
RAC breakdown have an immediate help service but it'll cost you $100 to use it within 48 hours of joining up :link: Which Roadside Assistance cover is right for you? | RAC WA

they might also with a bit of luck detect what the problem is and get you moving :Good_luck:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ana,

I feel really bad for you! You did the right thing by preparing for your road trip and had the ideal vehicle for it.

Must be awful being stuck more than a 1000 kilometres from home with a dead vehicle.

Our Members will do everything they can to guide you to a cheap and cheerful solution. We don't have a lot of active members in SA unfortunately. Although @Phil №❶  has a nearly identical vehicle and is pretty tech savvy.

If you contact the local Hyundai Dealer and explain your dilemma they may be able to help you get your car to their facility.

Mention that you contacted the i30ownersclub.com and the they are guiding you and monitoring the situation..  :winker:

A few tears (well justified) and the flutter of eyelids can sometimes do wonders (not being sexist - just trying to be helpful)

Good luck with it. I would be your knight if I lived closer. I'm a sucker for a damsel in distress!  :whistler:

Edit: It would have to be a Friday! You might not get much joy from A Hyundai Dealer until Monday.

@cruiserfied do you have any contacts at Hyundai in Adelaide who you could call on Monday?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
When you say dead, are there any lights showing up on your dash at all, or nothing. Sorry to hear of your woes.

Really need some test equipment to determine what's wrong.  :undecided:

You could try moving the gear selector through the full range. The selector has lockout so engine will only start in Park or neutral. I assume your car is an auto.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I assume your car is an auto.
That's what her signature says :wink:
And the title of the thread...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
ok, i get the message  :head_knock:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
@Dazzler sorry but no.

I'm very concerned by the process of diagnosis that has developed. Battery sure, filter meh, transmission??? Are you freakinng kidding???

I would like to put in a vote of no confidence against whoever is doing this work.

You said the engine is completely dead. Sorry but can you clear up one more detail? When you tried to start it did the engine wind over or just nothin at all??
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just a thought...... does it have fuel?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal