i30 Owners Club

GD 1.6 110 BHP Original Cruise control makes me seasick

Guest · 15 · 4901

guest9517
Yesterday i "finally" dropped of my 2016 1.6 to the dealer to get an original cruise control installed. Already on the way back home i realized something wasnt quite right, as i could feel car accelerating then slowing down then acc. & so in...Cruise control is hunting for the setpoint but over/undershoots to a degree where i eventually after driving like this for 20 Km started to feel seasick!

I called the dealer today, but he just informed me that this was totally normal behavior & that i just should drive in 5. instead of 6. (90 Km/h, 1500 RPM in 6.)

I told i wouldnt accept such a bunch of "damage-control"-crap from Hyundai/the garages side, but off course that i respected that he had to come up with such a story...The dashboard tells me to put it in 6. gear before 90, so no way i shall drive around in 5. with extra noise & prob. also extra fuel spent.

I recorded behavior, very easy to see through fuel-usage whats going on

What is your guys experience with the cruise-control? Anyone know if Hyundai has a software-update for this, as it must be very simple to correct through other PI-paramaters.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Maybe your sea sickness is caused by your choice of music.  :mrgreen:

To me your video is not showing any unusual speed change, but I accept that as the driver you can feel a problem.

While I have plenty of experience with CC  in many different vehicles, I'm not a great fan and rarely use it.
My personal GD is relatively constant, the CC acts as expected on various gradients.

Over to other members.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi ChipMIK,

Like Gary says, the video doesn't do you any favours, showing a constant 90 kph? Not doubting your story though. You need to drive a similar manual with cruise and/ or get get someone with factory cruise in their manual to drive yours for a 2nd opinion.  I certainly haven't noticed such behaviour in the manual i30's I've driven with cruise. (The wife's MY11 FD wagon and 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer )
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Ok i have cc and i reported similar on here over 4 years ago.

I find that if you are in a higher gear then i do get surges then a feeling of pulling back.

If i drop down a gear it run smoothly.

In saying this if i was driving without cc then i would be in the higher gear but when in cc mode this quirk occurs.

So what dealer say is correct

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Can see hunting by looking at your fuel usaage indicator. Low revs /high gear makes sense that it may surge as per eye30 comments.

Our CC works well but I don't usually activate until doing 90kmh.
At lower speeds it can be a tad slow to correct the speed.
Also I cancel  CC going down hill as I hate how it wants to change down the gears to try and engine brake to keep the speed constant.
Challenger (manual ) applies rear brake pressure to hold set speed down hill-works a treat.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Can see hunting by looking at your fuel usaage indicator. Low revs /high gear makes sense that it may surge as per eye30 comments.

Yes watched that but it is so rapid it doesn't seem to affect road speed ( at least visually). Would be interesting to have the tacho in view as well.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I know it's not a GD but my FD was remarkably smooth in cruise control. better than the two Subarus I had before it.
However, I don't quite understand how you can have an "original" unit fitted at the dealer. Mine was fitted at the factory during manufacture.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

guest9517
You dont see any wild fluctuations on either tacho or speedometer. it is torque on/off, then ECU detects speed is either to fast or slow & corrects before any major (1-2 kph) is achieved & within 1 sec its regulating opposite way. Which then costs a lot of energy & reason why on flat road it doesnt do 30 Km/l instead of average of around 25.

I tried 5. gear today & yes, sure the economy went down approx. 3 kml, opposite of what dealer told me.

The cruise-control IS total original. On GD its only the button & a smal patch-cable that needs mounting...980 Australian dollars was a 2/3 negotiated price for kit & mounting of this, as its normally around 1450 AU$...Insane for a few switches & piece of plastic, but thought i would keep it original. But at least (for now) i got a working unit for those 3-4 km out of 94 each way to work with city-speedlimits....

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You dont see any wild fluctuations on either tacho or speedometer. it is torque on/off, then ECU detects speed is either to fast or slow & corrects before any major (1-2 kph) is achieved & within 1 sec its regulating opposite way. Which then costs a lot of energy & reason why on flat road it doesnt do 30 Km/l instead of average of around 25.

I tried 5. gear today & yes, sure the economy went down approx. 3 kml, opposite of what dealer told me.

The cruise-control IS total original. On GD its only the button & a smal patch-cable that needs mounting...980 Australian dollars was a 2/3 negotiated price for kit & mounting of this, as its normally around 1450 AU$...Insane for a few switches & piece of plastic, but thought i would keep it original. But at least (for now) i got a working unit for those 3-4 km out of 94 each way to work with city-speedlimits....
Wow.
Mine was $400Aus fitted at the factory AND this price also includes foglights.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

to come up with such a story...The dashboard tells me to put it in 6. gear before 90, so no way i shall drive around in 5. with extra noise & prob. also extra fuel spent.

I agree with you here, being old school, the only time I use CC is open road with relatively little traffic, therefore I'm in overdrive.
 I agree that it is unacceptable to be told to drop down to 5th gear.
As I don't have your problem , I cant say more... at this stage, :undecided: but pursue it... and good luck.  :goodjob2:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I know it's not a GD but my FD was remarkably smooth in cruise control. better than the two Subarus I had before it.
However, I don't quite understand how you can have an "original" unit fitted at the dealer. Mine was fitted at the factory during manufacture.
:whsaid:
I waited a full year until mine was available with CC as standard, and it's rock-solid. :cool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

@ChipMIK  Been thinking about this. Dealer's response to you is not logical.
 The CC is only useful on the highway; therefore, you will probably be driving in the highest gear.
 Why would they have CC that cannot be used in the most optimal speed/gear setting?
It is possible that your car's ECU needs an update or re-learn . 
  I would get more serious with the dealer or contact Hyundai direct.

guest9517

@ChipMIK  Been thinking about this. Dealer's response to you is not logical.
 The CC is only useful on the highway; therefore, you will probably be driving in the highest gear.
 Why would they have CC that cannot be used in the most optimal speed/gear setting?
It is possible that your car's ECU needs an update or re-learn . 
  I would get more serious with the dealer or contact Hyundai direct.

I guess the dealerstory is kind of "damage-control"...He doesnt admit theres a real issue, but tells me how to workaround it in a way most people would accept without challenging it.

As mine is a MY2016 i would find it very hard to believe theres a  SW-update, as these car has been on market for 4-5 years & as i can read here & other places, its a well known issue.

Dealer/import has not heard last word from me...Really sad as the car performs perfect otherwise with 72.2 MPG, brim-brim measurement, as average during last 2222 Km, so cant fault that at all :-)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The reason I suggest the ECU is not for a new programme.
   For instance, if an auto transmission is replaced, it will still work fine, but not perfectly . The ECU needs to be put through a relearn mode so that gear changes are optimised.
You have added a new component to your car, does the system recognise it correctly?
Good Luck :)

guest9517
The cruise control on a GD (at least CRDI), doesnt take any other modification than plug the new switches in on the steeringwheel with harness that comes along the set. All other wiring is present. You can find the set on ebay for around 100 US$ :-D Just be careful about heated/none-heated steeringwheel.

No programming of ECU should be needed. Its the pre-programmed (PI(D) parameters that Hyundai has gotten wrong.

I have written a mail to the danish importer today with Cc to dealer...Expect only BS from them (at least in first mail), but they face a persistent media-willing guy if they dont sort it. (As i clearly told the dealer i would only buy the car if it could get cruise control)

Well at least i sold my trusty Alfa 159 today...One less worry...Now time to find a towing bar for my new silver 72 MPG wonder  :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal