Author Topic: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE  (Read 22033 times)

• au Australia
    Perth
Hi All.

Given that the satnav units are different shape.
wouldnt a gd-03 and surrounding panel fix the issue?
might cost more, but should work?
we should ask our wrecker friends of the panels/fascias have the same attachment points.
If you wanted to fit the GD-03 in place of the satnav unit you would also need to buy the standard aircon control panel and swap the fascia with the existing aircon.

• cy Cyprus
The wiring of the factory sat nav is different from the gd-03 so you will have to re-pin them if swapping for the gd-03.

• Hyundai i30 2012

• au Australia
    Sydney
CraigB and aanastasiou4
I think you're right
I just had a look at the premium head unit and AC control.
they seem to both have a bump in the bottom,  so i got excited.

however, looking closely, it would appear the bump in the premium AC controls, is not as deep as the GD-03 radio. though from pictures, is very difficult to tell.
we'd need a brave soul to try.

Premium users would need to get the AC controls (climate control, if it exists in that shape) as well as the radio, which could add up to more than just going aftermarket..
I don't think there's any fasia there, just the right climate control unit with the more pronounced bump.

yeah, that and re-pinning
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:06:57 by kroner » »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

• au Australia
    qld
Howdy all,

Question:

Does your new USB socket charge your phone?
(this could obvs be from my dodgy cable but just thought i'd ask)

Currently my partners Samsung S10 picks up a charge, but a message displays about slow charging and to use a proper cable.
But my iphone does not pick up any charge. Also i ask this because, the wreckers supplied cut cables for the AUX cable sockets and it looks like more than just an aux cable the amount of wires on there i suspect maybe it was giving charge to the USB port as well?

Should i update my software on the unit? (SW VER: 2.04.02 Micom: 3.27.00 Platform: 1.76)

The option for clicking android auto-apple car play seems to be greyed out on the audio options screen. Not sure if this problem is due to the dodgy cable, or needs a software update.

Preamble ramble: I installed a GD-03 in my 2014 i30 recently after my old head unit stopped playing any sounds.

Everything went better than expected. Only problem was I nearly broke the damn USB unit pushing to the front of the car instead of the back when trying to remove it! doh!
Everything's working fine except android auto/apple car play is not working. The wreckers did supply a cable but it had a tasty gash on the side that seems like it has only just shredded one of the internal wires.
I have just ordered a cable from Koraps.com ( :link: Auto Part Item View : 961983W000 (96198-3W000) CABLE ASSY-USB for HYUNDAI / KIA SPORTAGE 10-) hopefully that will be the go.

Cheers!
  • 2014 i30 trophy

• au Australia
    Perth
Howdy all,

Question:

Does your new USB socket charge your phone?
(this could obvs be from my dodgy cable but just thought i'd ask)

Currently my partners Samsung S10 picks up a charge, but a message displays about slow charging and to use a proper cable.
But my iphone does not pick up any charge. Also i ask this because, the wreckers supplied cut cables for the AUX cable sockets and it looks like more than just an aux cable the amount of wires on there i suspect maybe it was giving charge to the USB port as well?

Should i update my software on the unit? (SW VER: 2.04.02 Micom: 3.27.00 Platform: 1.76)

The option for clicking android auto-apple car play seems to be greyed out on the audio options screen. Not sure if this problem is due to the dodgy cable, or needs a software update.

Preamble ramble: I installed a GD-03 in my 2014 i30 recently after my old head unit stopped playing any sounds.

Everything went better than expected. Only problem was I nearly broke the damn USB unit pushing to the front of the car instead of the back when trying to remove it! doh!
Everything's working fine except android auto/apple car play is not working. The wreckers did supply a cable but it had a tasty gash on the side that seems like it has only just shredded one of the internal wires.
I have just ordered a cable from Koraps.com ( :link: Auto Part Item View : 961983W000 (96198-3W000) CABLE ASSY-USB for HYUNDAI / KIA SPORTAGE 10-) hopefully that will be the go.

Cheers!
Yes the USB also supplies power and Apple car play wont work unless you use genuine quality cables, cheap cables don't have to correct chip in them.

Definitely upgrade the units firmware to the latest 2.05.10 which fixes several issues, 276.5MB file which is currently still live thanks to a member on the Whirlpool Forums  :link: MEGA

• au Australia
Hi Everyone - first post here so please be nice  :sweating:

I've got a 2014 GD01 setup. I'm attempting to remove the AUX/USB ass'y but am having issues with those white clips that will give me better access to removing the AUX/USB.

Does anyone have any tips? I've been pushing and prodding those white clips but nothing is happening.

Thanks!
  • i30

• au Australia
    Perth
I canít remember exactly how I removed it but I know it took some brute force to pop the USB/AUX module out, stubborn little bugger it is.

• cy Cyprus
If you push the usb assembly from the back it comes out easily. No need to remove the whole panel!

• Hyundai i30 2012

• au Australia
Thanks for the advice. It took a bit of brute force but I managed to get it out ... always feel like I'm about to break something and then it comes free!

The wrecker I got the GD03 didn't provide the updated AUX/USB ass'y. I'm still looking online for one - they seem to be in short supply. I've trawled back through the posts on this thread but can't seem to find a reputable dealer. Anyone got any option for me to track down?
  • i30

• au Australia
    Perth
Stanvac wreckers are whom I usually recommend for the GD-03 head units, they might separate the USB module for you :undecided: Ultimate Jap also sell the units though they do cut cables unfortunately.