Author Topic: SOLVED: ESC light on at 50 mph - every time - help needed  (Read 6625 times)

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
SOLVED: ESC light on at 50 mph - every time - help needed
« Reply #60 : September 26, 2017, 16:23:19 »
This is my patented 'wimp helper'. Selling world wide for A$60 plus freight. CASH!!

Looks more like a tool of torture   :eek:   :lol:

@mickd   :D Yes it has many entertaining uses around the home, especially during school holidays.  :evil:
I still have my small tool box (we called them the abortion box) from past days on the road and in the air. It has an array of strangely bent and thinly ground down spanners etc that I made for awkward jobs.
  • Every FD model; BMW Z3 M; Mitzi Magna(mobile office)

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
« Reply #61 : September 26, 2017, 16:27:54 »
This is my patented 'wimp helper'. Selling world wide for A$60 plus freight. CASH!!

@mickd   :D Yes it has many entertaining uses around the home, especially during school holidays.  :evil:
I still have my small tool box (we called them the abortion box) from past days on the road and in the air. It has an array of strangely bent and thinly ground down spanners etc that I made for awkward jobs.

Did someone say School Holidays!  :sweating: With 16 and a half step-grandkids I'm really looking forward to the  next two weeks..  :crazy1:

I think I'll get my hat and coat..  :Prayer:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #62 : September 26, 2017, 17:40:18 »

Did someone say School Holidays!  :sweating: With 16 and a half step-grandkids I'm really looking forward to the  next two weeks..  :crazy1:

Mate!! :spitty: I was going to offer you my tool box, but seems its too late.
  :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp: :disapp:

• HOS BOSS
  • england England
    Wirral
  • Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
« Reply #63 : September 26, 2017, 17:46:04 »

Looks more like a tool of torture   :eek:   

Get on your bike....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active       I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #64 : September 26, 2017, 17:58:04 »
Don't worry, I have have lots of things planned and none of them are within 5kms of home!  :crazy1:

I did take the 10 year old daughter of my Step daughter with me to the supermarket for a ride last night. She is probably my favourite.  :goodjob:

I think because I have two daughters I relate to girls better. They don't break stuff and she doesn't ask for stuff all the time like her Brothers do..

« Reply #65 : September 30, 2017, 06:58:34 »
SOLVED

Finally got the switch, even  through Hyundai there were 3 switch types for this reg, and had to send pics for me to ID the right one that matched the one I had. Anyway picked up this morning, fitted ( and boy was that fiddly, frustrating, finger tip threading, feet pushing on the roof, had to put string around pedal to hold down  ) but its in and straight away EVERYTHING below is back and working.

The part was labelled ignition switch, although nothing to do with that, just tells ECU the clutch pedal is up and that fits into the all the s/w algorithms that drive the below.

So all in all, 35 and a massive big up to nzenigma  :goodjob2: :goodjob:. I am not convinced that paying Hyundai to scan the codes ( 96 ) in the submodules would have helped, it would be the real time sensor info they'd need to plot AND be clued up enough to know to look at the pedal up switch state as it would not be registering a fault, just a confusing reading to the ECU. So this could have ballooned into 00's 's through mis-diag

So for the record, if you see the below happending ( and ONLY the below ) you need a new clutch switch - the lower one that tells when the clutch is up

Car starts fine - everytime - every ~20 days it does feel a bit lumpy on tickover for a short while, been like this for a ~ year
No lights on at start or driving ( < 50 mph )
ISG stopped working
CC not working - switches on and dash light, but can never set a speed
Clutch down when moving - RPM will drop RAPIDLY ( one of the issues and so bad driving experience on gearchange ) and goto 1K if left, no less. This happens even with no ESC light on ie from start
50 mph ESC light comes on ( whatever gear )
The gear change notification on the computer not working for best mpg

Thanks everyone else on this forum to, the suggestions here were many but the inside knowledge of the system is what drove the solution - and that is down to pure good human nature and helpful people

:happydance:

C
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:03:38 by charlie8 » »
  • i30

« Reply #66 : September 30, 2017, 07:08:37 »

BTW thats the offender - that black circle is the top of a plunger that should be poking out and spring loaded
  • i30

• Geriatric Teenager
  • england England
    Solihull, UK
  • KIA Niro 2 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Re: SOLVED: ESC light on at 50 mph - every time - help needed
« Reply #67 : September 30, 2017, 10:38:05 »
Great result and congratulations on your perseverance.
  • 2017 KIA Niro 2 1.6 petrol Hybrid

• HOS BOSS
  • england England
    Wirral
  • Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
« Reply #68 : September 30, 2017, 11:39:55 »
Phew........ sorted........back to enjoying the ride
  • 1.4 Petrol Active       I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #69 : September 30, 2017, 17:27:46 »
 :brilliant:

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #70 : September 30, 2017, 17:29:44 »
SOLVED...
Thanks everyone else on this forum to, the suggestions here were many but the inside knowledge of the system is what drove the solution - and that is down to pure good human nature and helpful people  :happydance: C

@charlie8 . Hi Charlie, when you described the state of the switch (broken plunger) I knew we had it licked.  :happydance:
A huge relief given the time we all have put in to this form of 'distance learning'; while we also applied some lateral thinking to solve a new problem.

I agree, you treated the quote to scan codes with suitable scepticism and saved yourself 96 plus .  I often wish others had that skill.

Charlie my personal thanks for your own "good human nature" in returning to tell us that the problem is solved.
Now go enjoy that i30  :) :goodjob2: Gary

• John B /aka Sloop
  • au Australia
    Gold Coast Qld
« Reply #71 : September 30, 2017, 19:00:45 »
Tricky problem with a good result. Bet you and Gary feel great now you have had a win.  :goodjob2:
  • 2014 GD Elite 5 door Hatch   Petrol 1.8 Lt Auto Silver.

• au Australia
    Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
« Reply #72 : October 01, 2017, 01:20:20 »
Righto gents,
Time to shout yourselves a beer and say quitely to your yourself  - F##K I'M GOOD.

:happydance:  :happydance:  :happydance:  :happydance:  :goodjob2:   :goodjob:
  • 09/16 GD4 SII Active X 5dr 1.8 6sp A. 02/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lander 2.2 6sp white

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #73 : October 01, 2017, 02:11:10 »
Righto gents,
Time to shout yourselves a beer and say quitely to your yourself  - F##K I'M GOOD.

:rofl: :victory:

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #74 : October 01, 2017, 02:36:09 »
Righto gents,

:lol: That kids got a way with words  :goodjob2: :D

• au Australia
    Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
« Reply #75 : October 01, 2017, 03:59:23 »
Righto gents,

:lol: That kids got a way with words  :goodjob2: :D

"that kid " - I like that!  👍
  • 09/16 GD4 SII Active X 5dr 1.8 6sp A. 02/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lander 2.2 6sp white

« Reply #76 : October 15, 2017, 17:05:57 »
Hi to all I would like to say that I have had problem with clutch switch symptoms the same but do not have CC and stop start engine so I bought a new one with 57 pounds for it I write curious what have happend with old one so decided to take old one in pieces it was easy and it occurred that spring was broken do before you make a call to dealer try to fix it on your own you need 35mm long and 3mm diameter spring if that was not a spring then you need a call to dealer
  • hyundai i30

• gb United Kingdom
    UK
« Reply #77 : August 24, 2018, 08:37:52 »
Just wanted to add to this thread that I've had EXACTLY the same car faults as Charlie8, in my 2012 1.6 CRDi. Courtesy of the expert information, I've replaced the top clutch switch, and all the faults have gone. My switch had a different failure mode though, the plunger was still working, but the internal switch had failed, it wasn't breaking continuity. A multimeter was the only way to find this problem. Thanks nzenigma for including all the necessary info earlier in the thread.

• 1.6CRDi 2012

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #78 : August 24, 2018, 17:32:00 »
@WendyES . We appreciate your added input and your thanks. Enjoy that car  :D

anything