i30 Owners Club

Air intake revisited

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
I know this topic has been covered numerous times but I was unable to respond to the thread I was looking at / reading.

Taking into account POD filter panel filter & legal illegal here in NSW, Australia I was thinking about the following:

Replace the original panel filter with a high flow better quality filter and replace the piping of the original intake so that it sucks air in from the lower front rather then looping back to the top of the engine bay.

Thoughts........
  • 2015 GD 2.0L SR Premium Manual Grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That’s what I currently have set up...K&N panel filter with the snorkel/baffle removed out of the airbox and some 76mm flex pipe connected to the intake side of the airbox that runs under the light behind bumper that I’ve pull tied to the crash beam behind the grill.
Works better than the standard setup and allows cool air to enter, the short ram intake with pod filter option allows much more air though I find the economy gets sacrificed by 1/2 ltr per 100km.

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
@CraigB  I was looking at the various intake setups you had.

HKS style mushroom filter
SAAS POD filter
K&N POD filter.

Did you just take off / cut the original pipe out of the filter box?

Did you use any stainless steel pipe or just flex pipe the whole way?

Do you have any pics of the current set up?

And is your panel filter a complete rectangle as mine is a rectangle with the right top corner cut off (if that makes sense)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When I had the pod setup it was a mix of alloy pipe an silicone.

With the factory box you don’t have to cut anything, the internal snorkel unclips/slides off.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I forgot to add a picture of the current setup, is it the same airbox as your 2ltr :undecided:

You'll notice it's just the flex 76mm pipe off the inlet side of the airbox with the K&N panel filter inside.

Something you might be able to answer for me :) what are the internal port sizes on the inlet and outlet of your airbox

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
Hi Craig,

Not able to measure right now and the car is going to Hyundai first thing in the morning to have the passenger sensor pad looked at as it continues to go off.

I will ask Hyundai directly tomorrow whilst they have it otherwise I will hopefully get the measurements for you tomorrow.

I’m also looking at the K &N Apollo CIS intake system on eBay for $106 (enclosed pod filter with flexible piping.

Not sure what route to take.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Apollos at $106 will be copies though the design is simple enough and probably work just as well as the genuine $400 one's, the Apollo's intake is 70mm whereas the standard filter box has 76mm intake which can flow just as well I'd think if you make a few simple changes like I've shown.

At some stage I'll probably cut down two 90 degree 70mm silicone bends and attach between the throttle body/airbox outlet, I see what your airbox ports sizes are and if larger than mine I might use a 2ltr box :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:22:47 by CraigB »

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
For $106 i thought the same that they would be copies but asked and was told they are genuine k & n :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
For $106 i thought the same that they would be copies but asked and was told they are genuine k & n :crazy1:
If they are genuine it's a good deal but still has a smaller intake than I'd like, they would still flow better than a completely standard intake setup though.

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
I’m tossing up between the Apollo at $106 or a set up like yours ($80 for filter + pipe)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
All depends on the look you're after I guess, I'm wanting to keep the standard look but with a few changes to make the flow better.

One benefit of the panel filter is the ease to remove and clean the filter, the Apollo looks like you'd have to unscrew a dozen bolts just to get the filter out :undecided:

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
@CraigB

Air box dimensions:

Engine side 66mm ID / 70mm OD (air exit filter into engine)
Intake side 76mm ID / 80mm OD (air entering filter side)

Hope that makes sense, I’m not very mechanicaly spoken

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB

Air box dimensions:

Engine side 66mm ID / 70mm OD (air exit filter into engine)
Intake side 76mm ID / 80mm OD (air entering filter side)

Hope that makes sense, I’m not very mechanicaly spoken
Thanks for that, yeah your airbox is slightly larger than mine on the intake side, you have 76mm ID and mine is 70mm ID..."note that you will require 80mm flex ducting if you do the change".

I might just cut out the intake connector on mine and poke the flex pipe straight inside, that'll give me an extra 6mm ID :)

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
Do you remember the process you did to remove the stock piping?

It’s easy enough to remove the air box itself but the lower chamber/box might be altitude harder.

Wasn’t sure if front bar comes off, come up from under the engine of if you came down from the top.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Easier if you remove the front bumper but it's still possible if you jack up the front and remove the lower inspection covers, two bolts (maybe three) to remove the lower chamber which go through the chassis rail and the intake on the front bar above radiator comes off by pushing in the two pins on top to unlock it and then lift it off.

The flex duct is then routed down behind the fog lights and cabled tied to one of the front bars beside the radiator next to the radiators air shroud to get air directly behind the edge of the grill.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline i30SRPremium

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast, NSW
That was nice and quick  :happydance:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah, I used a cutting drill bit to rip it out then sand to make smooth :)

If you decide to go the same route leave half of the port connector for the front left foot to retain some strength and cut away towards the rear, you might not have to cut away though as yours is already 76mm ID unless you'd like to port it out to the full 80mm or larger :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:25:58 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Made further modifications to the airbox today, filed 4mm out of the outlet port/engine side of the airbox expanding the couplings ID from 62mm to 66mm, leaves just enough thickness in the plastic coupling to retain strength.

An easy and cost free upgrade that should help get air more efficiently through to my oversized throttle body :)

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black
wow useful information here.

any 2017 I30 PD owners did this to their stock airboxes as well? I took a look and seems like the intake air goes through many unecessary loops n bends before they reach the air filter
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
wow useful information here.

any 2017 I30 PD owners did this to their stock airboxes as well? I took a look and seems like the intake air goes through many unecessary loops n bends before they reach the air filter
We dont get the smaller 1.4ltr here so I'm not sure of its setup though our 1.6ltr turbo models have a very short intake feed to the airbox housing which in my opinion is better designed than the previous GD model (hence my modifications to improve the standard GD airbox), if your wanting to keep the original look you can start with a K&N air filter to improve the ease of air to be drawn through the system.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal