i30 Owners Club

i30 PD Diesel engine fan stays on for 50 seconds after turning the engine off?

Mark70 · 10 · 7506

Offline Mark70

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
This is not a problem, nor an issue, so I'm obviously posting in the wrong forum, but:
Does anyone else have an i30 PD (MY2018) Diesel with DCT?
Does your engine fan stay on for 50 seconds after turning the engine off, every time
, irrespective of outside temperature, engine temperature, length of trip or recent engine load?
Even just moving a cold car on a frosty morning, just a few meters, in icy conditions?

I imagine there is probably a hard-coded 50-second timer which simply keeps the (radiator?) fan running for those 50 seconds, irresective of anything.
Probably to protect the turbo or similar high-temperature component, which if cooling stopped right away would burn any oil still in contact with it.
BUT I can't imagine the radiator fan, simply blowing at the radiator, would have much of an effect on those high temperature items such as the DPF, intercooler or the Turbo.
[edit: actually timed it today, 50 seconds]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 13:20:28 by Mark70 »
  • MY2018, 2017, PD, Premium, 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 Turbo, DCT, White

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Engine fan would be for coolant, engine would be running to feed oil to turbo etc.
Would be notifying dealer asap.

Oh,
G'Day Mark70,

:i30:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Hati does yours do this?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
@Hati does yours do this?

Yup, but only on occasion, thinking back, only after prolonged high speed runs, over 80 mostly. Didn't pay too much attention to it because it doesn't do it all the time.
Probably worth taking it back to Hyundai, if not else to check for any error codes present.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Mark70

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yup, but only on occasion
This is the key datapoint I was looking for, thanks Hati.  Since mine does it every time, every trip, even short max 60km/h ones, there's something up.  already booked in.
edit:
Although I feel the Hyundai Service Center will simply say "that's normal" and brush me away with that.
If I say "there's this guy on the internet who says his car doesn't do it" then I'll look like the nut-case.
I probably need a lobotomy another two people with this model of car to confirm.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 13:23:57 by Mark70 »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good move. I wasn't going to add much value having a different model but no car I've ever had has done that.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Gerry

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria Regional
I have had cars with electronic fans and the only time they stay on is when the engine is hot.  My Elantra used to do it and a Ford Telstar Ghia did the same thing.  But only as a cooling thing, if it was cold never happened.  Hope this helps.
  • Hyundai I30 2011 SX Hatch Clean Blue

Offline Mark70

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
and of course they said it was normal, and nothing to worry about.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've had this happen once in my PD SR (Petrol turbo)

I was parked on a slope outside our garage door for about 5 minutes with the engine running on about a 22c degree day. I was making some short videos explaining the functions of the Android Auto. When i drove into the garage and turned of the engine I could hear quite a loud roar and wondered what the hell was going on. It seemed to speed up and slow down for a while before eventually spinning to a stop. I hung around until it stopped, in case it didn't!  :crazy1:

It hasn't done it again.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Art Vandelay

• 1st Gear
My pd diesel auto does this as well. Move it 3m out of the garage to wash it and he fan still runs... not sure why. Would the ambient temp trigger it? Only had the car a week and it’s been 30+ very hot up in qld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal