Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
this is maybe no issue at all.
i've never had power steering before so i'm not sure, but sometimes i notice a little whirry noise down in the base of the steering column, sort of near the feet maybe. just when i'm turning and more when its going into a full turn.

it's not noisy or cluncky - just slightly whirry, but it only seems to have popped up in the last month or so. it was either always there and i just don't recall it, or ... eh.

when i had the Festy not too long before buying the i30 i had some problems with whirring noises in the same place, and i found out i had lost the fluid for the steering column, and it had to be replaced. its not quite the same, but feels like its in a similar place.

maybe it's nothing - maybe i'm just touchy about the area. so just thought i'd throw it out there for what others thought.

:question:

petrol, auto 2.0L
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Mine makes the same noise, i think its just the electronic power steering motor working.....

Wouldn't be fluid as they dont have any.....

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
On a previous Astra Coupe I owned, the electric assisted power steering stopped working, the effort it took to turn the steering wheel was tremendous. Have had power steering fail on a hydraulic system and it made it very heavy, but not like the electric. Almost impossible to turn.

Oh, I had no warning at all that it was going to fail.

You must get it checked out if you are not sure.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah, it's electronic steering, so there'd be no fluid. The "EPS" (Not to be confused with ESP!) light would be lit if there was a serious problem, I would think. May be worth checking out, I can't say I've heard it.

mvasseur
(Not to be confused with ESP!)

It's a good thing that we call it Electronic Stability Control (ESC) here in North America.

Kind of appropriate, too, as you're likely trying to ESCape a bad situation when it's in use  :D

Dr. Pepper

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
Mine makes the same noise, i think its just the electronic power steering motor working.....

ooh yours makes a noise to, that is good
and no fluid - gotcha

okeydokey its probably all good then, thankees  for everyones replies :D

i will ask about it to be sure at my next service but as i'm just hearing a little whir and nothing more i think its safe to say i'm just hearing that motor
i tend to have awefully good hearing on some things  :rolleyes:

Offline ttlotus

• 1st Gear

The same problem here. It also gets worse with mine when driving on rough surface or high speed. I mean it gets louder. I really starts to annoy me a lot since mine is only 8 month old car. I used to have a 20 year old Toyota which never give me any noise problem other than small fixing here and there every couple of months. I think we need to talk to our dealer about the problem and that's what I am going to do next serive.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
^i only get the noise on very low speed and only only on turning. i never had it at high speed. you may have a different issue there. certainly have a chat to your dealer about it at your service!

ouri30
When I am on full lock and try to turn up against the full lock, I can hear a noise which I assume is the electronic power assist.  I assume the motor is trying to put full pressure against the steering which is up against the stop which in turn prevents further turning. 

I take it as a signal to me, the driver, not to continue to try and turn the wheel.  No point really as the steering can not turn any further.

If I am driving at more than walking pace, I would never be turning up against the stops, so I never hear the noise.

From memory, I have heard similar noises from hydraulic assist in other vehicles I have driven, but only when at full lock.

Bob

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you should never hold the steering hard on full lock,back the steering wheel off an inch when it hits the full lock position.it can damage the steering rack.on a car with a hydraulic power steering pump it can damage the pump and the hoses. our cars are electronic assisted steering racks but I'm sure holding it hard on full lock isn't a good idea.IMO.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

ouri30
Exactly 2i30s.  I take the sound as a warning to back off.

Bob

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
in a lot of very early model cars with power steering if you held the steering on full lock to long it would either snap or throw the belt off and make a nasty squealing sound.I've even seen a hose blow out due to being held on full lock to long.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
^i only get the noise on very low speed and only only on turning.

low speed --> max steering assistance + max traction from the road surface = noise

high speed --> min steering assistance + min traction from the road surface = less noise

just physics... :razz:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
It depends exactly where you're hearing the noise from.

If you are hearing a noise that could be coming from the outside of the vehicle then yes it could be the EPS. As long as it doesn't sound too strained it's nothing to worry about. As others have said, you should never (whether the Power Steering is electric or hydraulic) hold the steering against the lock stops. It's a very good way to damage the system. Full lock is fine but never hold it against the lock stops. Also, although it stays nice and light for the driver when stationary it's also good practice to be moving slightly if possible when you're steering in tight situations. It's much, much harder on the steering and suspension to make it turn the wheels when they're stationary.

If you're hearing the noise from right at the bottom of the column where it goes through the firewall it could be an issue with the column. Hyundai have had that problem with their small/medium cars intermittently since the XD Elantra. There is a fix for it if it bothers you. There was a TSB about it at one stage - my memory isn't what it used to be but I believe it's an internal clearance issue. I do know there's no safety or longevity issue with it so it's only worth worrying about if it bothers you. Some are certainly worse than others. For some reason (probably because I'm a wierdo!) I actually found it slightly reassuring driving most of the ones I've heard making that noise. Some are really excessive but in most cases it's pretty mild.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Thanks for that info MRH130.
This issue you refer to, apllies to i30 too?
I ask this because the dealer intends to replace the column due to a weird noise (not a whirr but a crack-crack...)
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Hi babis, yes it applies to i30 too. There are a lot of parts in common across the range and the general refinement and quietness of the EPS can make other noises more noticeable than it otherwise might have been.  :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal