i30 Owners Club

Engine rattling at under 2000 rpm

GaKu · 40 · 25697

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I have used a fuel system cleaner a couple of times but did not notice any difference.
Almost all mechanics put full synthetic oil here from various international brands. I'm not so worried about the quality of oil, they should all be reasonably good. Haven't heard of any brand being particularly bad.
  • 2011 i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:wacko: :wacko:
What corners? Its only done 58,000km (36,250 miles)  :crazy1:

The car was unused for a year before I bought it. Surely it must have had some effect on the engine and fuel system.

"The car was unused for a year before I bought it"  :whistler: I assume this story came from the dealer who sold you this car that sounds like a vintage sewing machine and also cut corners.

After 2 years the old fuel has gone, it isn't missing, so injectors are working. At this stage we are taking a punt on it needing an oil flush.
But, the more you reveal, the more unsure I am about this car's history.
If  the flush is successful great, if not we start thinking about a motor that has possibly been cooked or another mechanical reason.
Until you do the flush   we are all wasting our breath.  :crazy1:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol

"The car was unused for a year before I bought it"  :whistler: I assume this story came from the dealer who sold you this car that sounds like a vintage sewing machine and also cut corners.

After 2 years the old fuel has gone, it isn't missing, so injectors are working. At this stage we are taking a punt on it needing an oil flush.
But, the more you reveal, the more unsure I am about this car's history.
If  the flush is successful great, if not we start thinking about a motor that has possibly been cooked or another mechanical reason.
Until you do the flush   we are all wasting our breath.  :crazy1:

Basic car histories are publicly available here. Dealers can't cook a story  :cool:
  • 2011 i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Basic car histories are publicly available here. Dealers can't cook a story  :cool:

Mate you are getting good advice, free of charge.
Cute comments wont solve your problem, only when YOU pull your finger out, can we move on.

I have to warn you that your first post reveals a noise that could be worse than just valve clearance. Also it is not only me that holds the opinion that your car has " History " and this is probably why it wasn't used for some time.

Cheers  :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Ok, so here's an update.
Today I drove around for 10 km to get the engine upto operating temperature.
Then poured an engine flush from a company called bell-add.
Idled for about 7 minutes then drove for 6 kms at low speed. In all, the engine ran with the flush for about 25 mins.

Went to the mechanic to get the oil changed. I bought the oil and filter myself (shell hx8 5w30 and a filtron filter)

This is the video of how it sounds now

:link: Hyundai i30 2011 1.4 after engine flush and oil change - YouTube

It may not be apparent from the video but It definitely is not as loud as it was before.
Also, I can't hear any rattling from inside the car unless I really concentrate on it.

So in the end a flush and the right viscosity oil seems to have helped.
  • 2011 i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That's good mate, thanks for the update, we always appreciate them.

The 2nd video does sound better, although your ear is be the best test.  :goodjob2:

Happy motoring, enjoy that silence.  :)

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I know the sound can never be as good as a new car and have no idea how a new car sounded.
I asked the mechanic and he said the engine sounded totally normal.

But is this even close to a new car sound? Theres still some metallic ticking sound....so still wondering.

• 2011 i30

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Gaurav,
It's really hard to diagnose a sound over a video.
You've done a oil  flush and change and you said it sounds better. Your mechanic said "normal", did he mean for that motor or the kms or what?
You can try going to another mechanic and ask, but get a better explanation of diagnosis regardless of good or bad reply.
Car yards come in handy,  visit a couple, BS story about your mate / girlfriend / mum / dad/ brother / sister is after one. Have a good listen and compare.
Only you can decide to "trust" a mechanic or a car. You've gotta make that decision.
I have an absolutely brilliant honest mechanic , our 2016 GD  makes a rattle,  we both agree it's there,  Hyundai dealer says "cant replicate " - oh well,  4 years of warranty left. Not arguing -yet.
Keep us updated,  good luck 👍

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Hi Gaurav,
It's really hard to diagnose a sound over a video.
You've done a oil  flush and change and you said it sounds better. Your mechanic said "normal", did he mean for that motor or the kms or what?
You can try going to another mechanic and ask, but get a better explanation of diagnosis regardless of good or bad reply.
Car yards come in handy,  visit a couple, BS story about your mate / girlfriend / mum / dad/ brother / sister is after one. Have a good listen and compare.
Only you can decide to "trust" a mechanic or a car. You've gotta make that decision.
I have an absolutely brilliant honest mechanic , our 2016 GD  makes a rattle,  we both agree it's there,  Hyundai dealer says "cant replicate " - oh well,  4 years of warranty left. Not arguing -yet.
Keep us updated,  good luck 👍

The mechanic meant the engine. I've had the idea of checking out other i30s in the second hand market. Just haven't found the time for it.

Just found this :link: 2011 Hyundai i30.Start Up, Engine, and In Depth Tour. - YouTube

It's not the same kind of car but the sound at 1:35 is quite like mine.
Anyway, I'm not too worried now. Will surely post updates when I have any.
  • 2011 i30

Offline ares_v

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens
I have a Kia Ceed, with the G4FA engine. From the beggining I hear that tapping noise. I had the valves adjusted and the chain set changed. However, the noise is still there, it's like "metal-on-plastic", and is very noticeable on cold days and of course inside the cabin. I wonder if anyone else has a similar experience like me. Is this noise also heard inside the i30 or is this a priviledge of Kia?
  • Hyundai i30 G4Fa

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal