i30 Owners Club

Switching from V-Power to Unleaded

Offline LogicalUnit

• 1st Gear
Hello,

I have a 2011 Hyundai i30 SLX automatic, and I have always filled it with Shell V-Power performance fuel.

I would like to know if there would be any problems if I switched to regular unleaded fuel.

Thanks.
  • i30 SLX auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
V-Power is still unleaded but higher (98) octane, if your car isn't tuned for 98 then it will make little difference other than you'll not get the cleaning additives which are in that fuel.

95 rated octane fuel (Premium) also contains cleaning additives which is probably better for you to use if not tuned for 98 and you'll still keep the cleaning benefits.

"Note" your car only requires 91 octane but it contains no cleaning additives, it's fine to use though personally I'd add some cleaning additive every 3rd or 4th tank to keep the system clean or fill up with 95 occasionally to get the same benefit.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:link: Should I use hi octane premium petrol, and what is octane rating? - YouTube
Sometimes that guys good - sometimes not, and other times he's just a dickhead  :whistler: :D

It's true that all petrol is delivered to factories in the same form, though it's at gantry level before transportation that each companies proprietary additives are added.

Technically speaking premium fuels are also cleaner as they burn more efficiently and in Australia at least those premium fuels also contain fuel system cleaning additives that aren't contained in the lower spec 91

Offline LogicalUnit

• 1st Gear
Cool, I just wanted to ensure there will be no damage to my engine if I switch to Unleaded 91, which it is designed to take.

Thanks all :)
  • i30 SLX auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The hire cars I have had for the last 70 days have loved the e10 I have put in them  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I had trouble using 91, with a late model V8. it carboned up a sensor & motor had trouble idling. took to dealer. they claimed they removed everything to clean. but I worked out from looking. all they did was spray a cleaner over the sensor via TB.
so from then on I would use two tanks of 91, then one tank of 98 or 95 & I travelled 200,000 no more problem. but then I got a new HiAce Van and leasing co would only pay for 91, the fuel card I had if I used 98 or 95 I had to pay myself. so that van from new always 91 and no issue. but it only got 14L / 100k. :fum: ( same as the V8)

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
I think the "cleaning properties " is mainly a marketing.
IMO driving styles has more to do with keeping the fuel system clean rather than if your using 91/95/98.
I recently have been working on a rio which has been exclusively run on BP 98 for all of its 90000KM, the throttle body was the dirties I have seen, took me a couple of hours to get clean.

I just stick with 91 and enjoy the on ramps   :D
Interesting to take a look at MSDS for BP 91/95/98

3 . Composition/information on ingredients
Petrol 86290-81-5 >90
Contains:
Benzene 71-43-2 <1
tert-butyl alcohol 75-65-0 <1
tert-butyl methyl ether 1634-04-4 <1
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) mixture <1
diisopropyl ether 108-20-3 <1

vs
Gasoline >90 86290-81-5