i30 Owners Club

Car idle fluctuates, any ideas mechanics?

Offline billy638

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hey guys, I have a Hyundai i30 2011 Hatchback CRDi on 70,000 miles. Sometimes when it's on D at the traffic lights, I noticed the rpm start's to go down but not a lot to the point where it turns off and then it brings itself back up. I noticeable. Recently I had the fuel filter changed and it was genuine part. Any idea what it can be? I wish I can take a video but it's happens unexpectedly. Also, another thing when its cold it takes a bit of time. More than my friends toyta yaris. What could it be? I am suspecting a bad glow plug? How much would it cost to replace all 4 by the deal? Any estimations? Any idea what this can be about if its not the glow plugs?
Thank you
  • Hyundai i30 2011 FD HatchBack CRDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Idol dropping slightly at lights sounds like the thermo fan cutting in (normal)

When you say "when it's cold it takes a bit of time" do you mean getting to operating temperature? you have a diesel so they naturally take longer to warm up if this is your concern.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:

I don't think glow plugs affect the idle once it is started (although I could be wrong)

Assume you mean bit hard starting when cold (which could be the glow plugs)

Unless the dealer has trouble getting the old ones out changing the glow plugs shouldn't be an expensive job.

I thought a set of 4 was about A$100 but these are much cheaper!

:link: 4 X KIA CEED PICANTO RIO SOUL 1.5 1.6 2.0 CRDI Glow Plug | eBay

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: billy638
... when it's on D at the traffic lights, I noticed the rpm start's to go down ...

Can you try nudging it into N and see if there's still some fluctuation?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline billy638

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
What I meant is the car it takes a long time to crank, in cold condition. I know this is normal, but not when it's -2 right? Also, the other day the cranking sound would stop then crank continuously, until the car started if I remember it was -2c outside. Is that normal too? Also shambles I'll check tomorrow what happens when I put it into N. But say it does fluctuate in N, what does that mean? Thanks guys
  • Hyundai i30 2011 FD HatchBack CRDi

guest9517
You need new glowplugs, thats all. They also help against rough running after startup when the engine is cold.

Replace all 4. If doing it yourself, the engine must!!! be warm, as this significantly reduces the chances of breaking them while loosing them  :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal