Author Topic: Head Unit Upgrade - Android  (Read 3871 times)

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
Re: Head Unit Upgrade - Android
« Reply #30 : May 09, 2018, 16:23:06 »
Hopefully it is the correct one and someone can identify what you are doing wrong or give you a tip on getting around the issue!  :undecided:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

• england England
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
« Reply #31 : May 10, 2018, 01:37:13 »
Hopefully it is the correct one and someone can identify what you are doing wrong or give you a tip on getting around the issue!  :undecided:
I think I can see the problem.
On the facia there are two clips at the top that clip into the dash.
On the stock unit there is a good gap between the underside of these clips and the main body of the headunit giving space for the plastic section that it clips into.
On the Android unit the main body of it is pressing against the underside of the clips, so there's no way for the clips to fully engage.
I'm tempted to snap the clips off completely, as I think it will help and they really aren't doing much to hold anything anywhere....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4lt, Manual, Black

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #32 : May 10, 2018, 01:53:07 »
If you are not in a mad rush I would wait before snapping them off just in case someone comes up with another solution.  They must have some purpose.   :undecided:

• england England
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
« Reply #33 : May 10, 2018, 02:44:33 »
If you are not in a mad rush I would wait before snapping them off just in case someone comes up with another solution.  They must have some purpose.   :undecided:
This is good advice...

That I just saw after bulldozing my way through trying again :D

I snapped the clips off and it might have made things slightly easier, but ultimately I gorilla jammed it in, gorilla jammed the Aircon control back it and tightened all the screws.

It's OK. But still not a perfect fit. I don't think the manufacturers ever tried actually fitting one to an i30. The lip that those clips go into pushes against the metal part of the HU, stopping it fitting perfectly flush.

I'll attach a picture later, but I'm happy with it.

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #34 : May 10, 2018, 03:43:34 »
This is good advice...

That I just saw after bulldozing my way through trying again :D

I snapped the clips off and it might have made things slightly easier, but ultimately I gorilla jammed it in, gorilla jammed the Aircon control back it and tightened all the screws.

It's OK. But still not a perfect fit. I don't think the manufacturers ever tried actually fitting one to an i30. The lip that those clips go into pushes against the metal part of the HU, stopping it fitting perfectly flush.

I'll attach a picture later, but I'm happy with it.

I was going from personal experience At 61 (and a half) I finally learnt "if in doubt, don't" with most things anyway.

I have also found with tricky fixes or situations a couple of days of pondering does wonders....

• england England
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
« Reply #35 : May 10, 2018, 09:23:16 »
I do have a tip for anyone doing this. I created a new Google account for the head unit, then added the account to my "Family" on my main Google account.

This way I can share purchases from my main account so I don't have to buy stuff twice, I can use my Google Play Music family.subscription, but if someone manages to nick my car, or I leave someone in my car when I'm not there, they don't get access to my full Google account.

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #36 : May 10, 2018, 15:10:05 »
That's quite clever. Thanks for sharing!  :goodjob:

• england England
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
« Reply #37 : May 11, 2018, 14:55:43 »
Couple of shots for the curious.

Pls excuse the quality, my old iPhone 6 camera isn't great by modern standards :P

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #38 : May 11, 2018, 15:59:21 »
Those photos are fine. Looks great!  :victory:

• england England
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
« Reply #39 : May 12, 2018, 16:56:01 »
Yeah, I think it fits fine. There is a gap if you look from the right angle, but it's not going to bother me.

I think I got away with snapping the clips off.

Anyway, I've voided the warranty now by taking the top off to tweak the screen contrast.

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #40 : May 12, 2018, 17:09:17 »
Nice bright clear screen isn't it!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

• england England
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
« Reply #41 : May 12, 2018, 17:24:57 »
It is nice and bright, very clear, and viewing angle doesn't have an adverse effect on it.

The only problem I have is that it is a little washed out, so grey on white isn't as visible as it could be.
There is a little screw that you can turn on the circuit board on the back of the screen, which has improved things somewhat.

My next tweak will be playing with the "Lux" Android app, to have it adjust screen brightness based on time of day.

I have run the provided USB cable from the back of the unit to the glovebox, so have two handy in the car.

At some future point I plan to try and hook up the existing microphone in the roof.

All in all, very happy, and a vast improvement over the stock unit.

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #42 : May 12, 2018, 17:33:30 »
Good to hear LP (does LargePig have a first name we can use?)  :snigger:

• Author
  • gb United Kingdom
    England
« Reply #43 : May 15, 2018, 16:36:29 »
Looks good large pig. Glad you got it in!!
I am going to have to open mine up and have a look at the contrast pin as your screen does look much better than mine!

After living with it for over a month I am happy with the upgrade. Need to look at fitting a better DAB Aerial as an amplifier/DAB splitter on the standard i30 Aerial is very hit and miss.

I am also contemplating a custom ROM but not sure whether to chance it or not...
:link: [ROM][PX5][HD] Malaysk ROMs for PX5 (2-4 Gb)? | Android Auto

Dave
  • I30 Tourer CRDi 1.6

• england England
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
« Reply #44 : May 15, 2018, 16:58:06 »
I am going to have to open mine up and have a look at the contrast pin as your screen does look much better than mine!

After living with it for over a month I am happy with the upgrade. Need to look at fitting a better DAB Aerial as an amplifier/DAB splitter on the standard i30 Aerial is very hit and miss.

I am also contemplating a custom ROM but not sure whether to chance it or not...

Dave
Hey,

The contrast knob is fiddly to get to, once you have popped the top, you have to unscrew the DVD drive and move it asside (I didn't want to unplug it) all whilst keeping the headunit supported and powered so you can see the screen while you adjust it. A spare pair of hands would help.

I found that it gets more washed out in either direction, somewhere in the middle is optimum.

I loaded this image up on the screen so I could see what was going on https://goo.gl/images/YytFxK

I don't actually think if it has a screw head, but I used a philips to turn it...

Picture on this post shows it exactly: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Exda-developers%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Fp%3D76162730&share_tid=3734189&share_pid=76162730&share_fid=3793&share_type=t

I am using internet radio (TuneIn) for now, at some point I'll fiddle with DAB. And the roof microphone.

As for custom ROMs, I can't be doing with all that messing about, had my share of that with Android phones. Loads of fun if you've time and patience...

Cheers,
LP (Marc :) )

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #45 : May 15, 2018, 17:01:51 »

Dave

I had to laugh at this (I think they should drop the NOT)

With firmware device, you need to understand all the risks.
Neither I nor the website is not responsible for your actions and possibly killed devices!
Everything you do - you do at your own peril and risk.

@LargePig Thanks for that Marc  :victory:

• Author
  • gb United Kingdom
    England
« Reply #46 : May 15, 2018, 17:30:57 »
Cheers Dazzler,
I have played with custom Roms a lot with android phones hence contemplating it but not doing it as very aware of the risks!!
I think the first thing to sort is the DAB reception.

Mic wise,  I fitted the external Mic at the side of the steering column as a temporary bodge. It is out of sight and reception/voice quality is now adequate. I will at some point sort out the roof mic (it is on the job list)
  • I30 Tourer CRDi 1.6