i30 Owners Club

Fuel filter light

Offline Dexterwolf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford
My fuel filter light came on a couple of times today whilst driving. It went off and did not come back on when I was on my way home though. It was serviced 2 months ago by Hyundai so shall I get it taken in to be checked led over or is there anything I can do to solve the issue ?
  • i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Never had mine trigger but ther'e a water sensor screwed into the bottom of the fuel filter in the engine bay.

So that's what that light is meant to indicate, water build up in that filter. May be possible to disconnect tht harness and unscrew that and drain into a container and look for evidence.

When was the fuel filter changed last?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What mileage has the car done?

Depending on mileage was it changed at last service or is it not due yet per service schedule.

Have you by chance filled up at a different garage recently?

May be worth checking it out as service not long done.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dexterwolf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford
I have filled up at a few garages in the past few weeks . I will call the garage tomorrow and see what they say. The cars done 55k miles and was serviced end of January so I would have thought it would have been looked at.

Thanks for the replies
  • i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have filled up at a few garages in the past few weeks . I will call the garage tomorrow and see what they say. The cars done 55k miles and was serviced end of January so I would have thought it would have been looked at.

Thanks for the replies

Hi DW,

It only takes one instance of contaminated fuel to trigger an event like this. So it may not be anything the service centre have done wrong or overlooked.   :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dexterwolf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford
I have driven to work today without the light coming on. So shall I just see how it goes or is it best to get it booked in do you guys think ?
  • i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have driven to work today without the light coming on. So shall I just see how it goes or is it best to get it booked in do you guys think ?

It's a hard call to be honest. If there is water in the fuel you risk expensive damage to the injectors, but on the other hand it could be a waste of money to get them to diagnose it.   :crazy1: :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
You can try to drain the fuel filter by yourself. Just twist valve open on bottom of the filter. If light turns on again you will need to drain tank content out.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline Dexterwolf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford
Where is the drain valve ? Does anyone have a diagram for where it is ?
  • i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
There is no valve. There is just water sensor in the bottom of fuel filter. Remove the electrical connector and loose the sensor so water/fuel comes out. Tighten it back, reconnect the wire and do a test drive.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I got the same issue last spring, drained the filter and it worked fine. Replaced by schedule at next service 15000km later. I think they just have a little to long replacement interval in europe, 2years or 60k km.

Easy job to drain it yourself, but bring a rag to keep under, I got diesel a little here and there. ;)
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dexterwolf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stafford
The filter was changed but the light came back on and the car went into limp mode. So I have taken it back to garage where they turned the engine on and reved it and the light went off. They said they will plug the diagnostic in tomorrow but I find it strange why it went into limp mode.
  • i30 1.6 Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal