babis_xo · 120 · 33907

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

Have someone put a little pressure on the glove box lid, or open it temporarily while driving - it disappears when I do either.  A bit of grease behind the latch 'bolt' does the trick for a little while.

beautiful! i opened the glovebox yesterday and guess what - no noises for the entire trip!  :mrgreen:
so i'll grease it up as suggested and see if that does the trick
thanks
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
make sure you use grease that isnt going to make a mess.  Its probably not the best solution but it stopped me going nuts for a while.  Maybe a bit of foam jammed shut in the lid could also be a temporary fix until the next service?

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
I arranged an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday, two days from now.

After my last visit (10 days ago), i keep shooting videos demonstrating the various noises (steering wheel, rear right and door panel)... which are getting worse :'(.

Videos taken, are more than informative and i'm looking forward to upload them here, but i think that they are oversized (?) in MBs (50+)
Alternatively, i thought about uploading them on YouTube, but maybe this will consider as a detraction? (definately i'll do so if my dealer fails to deal with the issues).

What's your opinion m8s?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I hope it doesn't get to the stage where you have to upload them to youtube  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I was at my dealer just before 8.00 am. A guy tested the car 9.00 am and detected two of the three noises (steering wheel and rear back) but missed the one from driver's door panel. So far, so good.
After a kinder of "investigation" (about 5 mins!), he tried to send me away with the excuse of "nothing serious but ordinary plastic rattles, which are not under guarantee etc, etc" :evil: :evil: :evil:
  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I showed some of the videos on my cellphone and told him that i was going to upload everything  on Youtube, so at least i can get some help from others. By the fear of detraction, he called the manager and after a "thorough" investigation (another 3 mins) they decided that the "airbag's plastic ring" has to be replaced for causing the steering wheel rattle. So they ordered the part and finally, managed to send me away. As for the other issues, they promised that they will be checked "next time". The time was only 10.00 am...
I have that feeling of beeing a "Mr Bean", but i'm going to be patience till "next time" (at about 15 days, when the part shall come).
Till then, i attach some samples of reduced quality from the videos taken, hoping for any clues.

[deleted]

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

(continued)
part3 of videos

[deleted]

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There is a known rattle on some models (rectified in recent production) in the steering wheel that can be caused by excessive clearance between the MDPS (power steering) motor and worm gear. probably worth them checking that too  :'(

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

There is a known rattle on some models (rectified in recent production) in the steering wheel that can be caused by excessive clearance between the MDPS (power steering) motor and worm gear. probably worth them checking that too  :'(

Thanks Lorian,
my car produced on June '09 in Czech and i collected it on Aug. '09, so i'm "afraid" that is one of the recent production. I'll notify them (wrote down your post) but i don't know if they can understand what "MDPS" and "worm gear" is (neither do I :rolleyes:). A picture might help :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
my car produced on June '09 in Czech ...

The problem Lorian reported only seems to apply up to build date of April 2008 (that is VIN range "First production" to KMHDC51ER8U098836) according to the Tech Bulletin. Still worth them checking it though (the part is called a "flexible coupling") and yes, I've had mine replaced (twice).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Indeed. I wonder how the noise on his video compares to the noise you had though?

Seems more likely to be a motor related issue than the airbag conector ring to me.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Indeed. I wonder how the noise on his video compares to the noise you had though?

I'll be checking that out when I get some time in a couple of hours...

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Thanks m8s. In meantime, i just figured out what a "worm gear" is by checking the dictionary :-[

note: the steering noise is noticeable when steering left

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

note: the steering noise is noticeable when steering left

I've not heard it.
I wonder if it is because I only ever turn right :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Definitely not the same steering noise that I had. Mine could only be felt through the steering wheel when going slowly on uneven roads. What I heard in the clips above didn't "feel" the same.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Definitely not the same steering noise that I had. Mine could only be felt through the steering wheel when going slowly on uneven roads. What I heard in the clips above didn't "feel" the same.

yes, definitely not. Yours, felt like something was boiling inside.
Mine, feels more like something "winds up" and appears only when turning slowly or when manoeuvring for parking and sometimes when turning the wheel completely stoped. But it gets much more aggressive when turning left, on uneven roads. It isn't always noticeable though.

In the first clip, there is also a louder, recurring sound, which can be heard several times in between the "wind up" steering creaks. Appears also when turning slowly -and guess what- especially left, on uneven roads. Feels like something is hitting the sidewalls (like a "pendulum") and comes from the rear right of the boot. On the first visit to the dealer, we moved everything from the boot, re-assembled the shock abs. etc., but no luck.

As eye said, maybe i should only turn right :'(

Still i don't understand why at least they didn't deal with the "simple" creak which clearly comes from inside the driver's door panel (3rd clip). On second thought, i do understand why Hyundai offers only 3yrs of guarantee for Greece: probably they know what their dealers here are capable for...

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

Have someone put a little pressure on the glove box lid, or open it temporarily while driving - it disappears when I do either.  A bit of grease behind the latch 'bolt' does the trick for a little while.
beautiful! i opened the glovebox yesterday and guess what - no noises for the entire trip!  :mrgreen:
so i'll grease it up as suggested and see if that does the trick
thanks

well
it seems i have another vibration on top of the glove box.... :twisted:

i haven't actually greased the glove box yet (crappy month) but the last week or so the glovebox and the rear view mirror, my drivers side dash,  and this new rattle have all been going at once. not sure if its the wet weather or what making them go off. and i'm too busy to figure it out. just turn music up and sing loudly

its rather annoying though
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
I'm sure others will have suggestions based their experience. My i30 is still new so has no noises (yet).

For the noise from the rear, The first and easy thing to do is to unscrew the rubber door bump stops a little and see if that makes any difference (you can just unscrew with you hand). My money would be on suspension noise though given when it happens. Maybe anti-roll bar bushes.

check out my tread .. could be the one u r lookin for at this particular problem :https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5308.0.html

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

The last week i'm driving a replacement car (kia cerato) as the dealer kept mine in the garage, while still searching for the noises.

Many thanks Zhangster. I hope it works.
I just called them and notified them about it. It makes sense, as i encountered a problem with the locking system from the very beginning (hatch was not closing easily and additionally the boot-light and the corresponding dash-indicator remained inactive sometimes when hatch was open). To correct these issues, i had to unscrew a bit the bumb-stops of the hatch. Maybe, as you said, i had to tighten the locker instead.

EDIT: Kia cerato is good, but i'm not 70yrs old yet... (Not ignoring J. M. Fangio, P. Newman and many others :))

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I'm back since i had no PC for the past three weeks.

I got my car back at last, after 21/2 weeks.
They replaced the plastic airbag connector ring but, as Lorian predicted, the steering wheel noise is still there :'(

Apart from the above mentioned, the car is not as good as new but far... better! Almost any other noise has vanished, plus the car feels way better and solid. Also, the steering-wheel is heavier now, but no problem with that.

Feels like they re-assembled and greased the whole car and probably they've done a better job than the dedicated robots of the factory.

Well, as it usually happens with all hand-assembled cars (like Ferrari's, my i30 etc.), none of them is perfect :lol: In my case, they forgot to put back some parts (the small absorber which keeps the glovebox in place and a plastic cap on the hatch-door) but no big deal actually.

Last but not least: they ordered a new set of the rear springs, as they've found mine were 1,5 cm shorter than the proper length!?!?!?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good news Babis... i30..then Pc.. hope things don't break down in 3's in your country...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yep that does seem like good news. Shame about your PC - we were gonna have a birthday party for you yesterday :D

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Good news Babis... i30..then Pc.. hope things don't break down in 3's in your country...

Usually they do :'(
But i'm still bullish :D

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Yep that does seem like good news. Shame about your PC - we were gonna have a birthday party for you yesterday :D

Hey, where is my birthday cake?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

:lol: had you been able to log in yesterday you would have seen a slice of birthday cake, with candle, in your profile summary :lol:

unlucky :P :P

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

:lol: :lol:
and that was the 3rd misfortune. I can cool down now

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah Happy Birthday for "yesterday" eye... It's already the 16th here... :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal