Author Topic: ABS turns on when accelerating?  (Read 1528 times)

• au Australia
ABS turns on when accelerating?
« July 08, 2018, 02:10:58 »
Hi all, I just bought a new 2018 i30 sr and ive noticed that under a hard acceleration the car seems to turn on the ABS brakes and then once it gets into second gear it dips and then it starts accelerating as normal, is this normal? (Not entirely sure itís the ABS it just sounds and feels like the car is jolting as if it is turned on).
Thanks

• 2018 i30 sr premium

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Melbourne
  • Callsign GUNZ
    • Professional Biography
Re: ABS turns on when accelerating?
« Reply #1 : July 08, 2018, 02:28:07 »
Hi, Ethan. I presume it's an auto. Either way, I doubt that it's the ABS doing that. Point it out to your dealer as warranty concern.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG's PDSRPremAuto

« Reply #2 : July 08, 2018, 02:35:30 »
Hi, Ethan. I presume it's an auto. Either way, I doubt that it's the ABS doing that. Point it out to your dealer as warranty concern.

Thanks for your reply, yes it is and auto and i will take it into the dealer tomorrow to get them to check it over. thanks again
  • 2018 i30 sr premium

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #3 : July 08, 2018, 02:39:39 »
Are you referring to AEB (autonomous braking). All cars modern have ABS (anti lock) so if you are not braking, its not applied. As Gonz said, not correct_ go to the dealer.

And kindly let us know the outcome. Thanks
  • Every FD model; BMW Z3 M; Mitzi Magna(mobile office)

« Reply #4 : July 08, 2018, 02:46:03 »
Are you referring to AEB (autonomous braking). All cars modern have ABS (anti lock) so if you are not braking, its not applied. As Gonz said, not correct_ go to the dealer.

And kindly let us know the outcome. Thanks
i dont think its the autonomous braking because it happens when im on an empty road or with no one infront of me, from a standing start when i accelerate faster than normal the from wheels seem to jolt rapidly as if the abs is on or wheel hop is occuring, at this point the car is accelerating slower than usual because its as if its braking and accelerating at the same time, then once the car gets into second gear it dips and accelerates quickly. will let you know what happens tomorrow.
  • 2018 i30 sr premium

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
« Reply #5 : July 08, 2018, 04:21:02 »
 :welcome: That is an odd one. I've had my SR for 12 months and have done 30K. Never had a hint of that. Definitely needs investigation.  Good luck. The PD seems to be having more gremlins than the previous 2 series!  :Pout:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

• au Australia
    Ipswich
« Reply #6 : July 08, 2018, 04:34:31 »
Sounds like traction control activation to me. Never driven or seen inside a PD but TC to me cuts power and being auto I'd expect an upshift after it was throttled back and a lag before power came back on

Is there anything lit up or blinking when this happens in the cluster?

• 2008 i30 SLX CRDi Auto, 2010 i30CW SLX CRDi Auto. 2008 i30 CRDi SX manual, Welly

« Reply #7 : July 08, 2018, 04:47:54 »
Sounds like traction control activation to me. Never driven or seen inside a PD but TC to me cuts power and being auto I'd expect an upshift after it was throttled back and a lag before power came back on

i didnt notice anything in the cluster but i tried turning traction control off and then both traction control and stability control off to see what would happen anyway. it did reduce it by alot but it still happened
  • 2018 i30 sr premium

• au Australia
    Ipswich
« Reply #8 : July 08, 2018, 05:12:56 »

i didnt notice anything in the cluster but i tried turning traction control off and then both traction control and stability control off to see what would happen anyway. it did reduce it by alot but it still happened
Oh well, shall await the final report then. That's what i would have tried too, isolating the system to see the change.

• 2008 i30 SLX CRDi Auto, 2010 i30CW SLX CRDi Auto. 2008 i30 CRDi SX manual, Welly

anything