Author Topic: FD i30 Auto - Stalled while moving. Battery light on  (Read 278 times)

• au Australia
    Ashford, South Australia
FD i30 Auto - Stalled while moving. Battery light on
« November 08, 2018, 21:18:43 »
Hi all,

I did some searching and couldn't find much...

I turned a corner and shortly after the car stalled and wouldn't immediately start again despite cranking over. Only thing different was the battery light was on. AC was on (that's normally on) I turned the car off, waited 10 seconds, turned it on again and it started. No battery light on again. Drove another 10 minutes without issue, though I'm paranoid now haha.

Any suggestions as to what may have caused it or what i could test for? There hasn't been any recent servicing. Nothing else unusual. Kinda freaked me out :)

Car is a 2011 FD Auto Diesel SLX located in Australia. 204,000 km on the clock. No other previous issues (touch wood).

Thank you! :)

EDIT: No codes thrown.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 23:37:13 by Romen » »

• i30cw 2011 CRDi

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Melbourne
  • Callsign GUNZ
    • Professional Biography
Re: FD i30 Auto - Stalled while moving. Battery light on
« Reply #1 : November 08, 2018, 21:29:00 »
Battery light on means the car isn't generating electricity. This could point to the alternator, its belt slipping (but you'd probably hear that) or intermittent electrical connections, as in dry joints and corrosion at connectors.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG's PDSRPremAuto

• Author
  • au Australia
    Ashford, South Australia
« Reply #2 : November 08, 2018, 21:43:03 »
Battery light on means the car isn't generating electricity.

The light came after/during it stalled. Went off when I turned the key 'off' and other than when all the lights light up as a check, hasn't been on since.
  • i30cw 2011 CRDi

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Melbourne
  • Callsign GUNZ
    • Professional Biography
« Reply #3 : November 09, 2018, 01:56:29 »
Then that's normal. The engine can't spin your alternator unless it's running. The problem may be fuel related or a host of other things until we know more.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG's PDSRPremAuto

• fi Finland
    Helsinki
« Reply #4 : November 11, 2018, 13:43:56 »
How much fuel in the tank? If tank is empty and you take a fast corner the fuel line might get some air in it.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

• Author
  • au Australia
    Ashford, South Australia
« Reply #5 : November 16, 2018, 21:30:08 »
The cause was found... It was due to the chip in my replacement key housing getting a little too far from the ignition. I replaced the key housing with a generic one about a year ago but never stuck down the chip. All good :)
  • i30cw 2011 CRDi

• au Australia
    Ipswich
« Reply #6 : November 16, 2018, 21:31:58 »
The cause was found... It was due to the chip in my replacement key housing getting a little too far from the ignition. I replaced the key housing with a generic one about a year ago but never stuck down the chip. All good :)
That's interesting, I always thought once it accepted the ID it would be fine, thanks for the feedback
  • 2008 i30 SLX CRDi Auto, 2010 i30CW SLX CRDi Auto. 2008 i30 CRDi SX manual, Welly

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
« Reply #7 : November 16, 2018, 21:45:52 »

Like Gerard says thanks for the update. Whoever worked that out did a good job. I wouldn't have thought that would be an easy thing to diagnose!  :eek:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

anything