Author Topic: Bluetooth skip and stutter  (Read 2547 times)

• au Australia
    Sydney
Bluetooth skip and stutter
« January 22, 2019, 02:23:14 »
Hi Everyone,  I own a 2018 PD2  i30 SR and a Samsung 8+ phone. Whenever i attempt to play music from my phone over the car stereo via  bluetooth it skips and shudders like an old discman or knocked record. I've tried setting the bluetooth so it excludes contacts and phone, tried different music apps, turned off the NFC chip and wireless, cleared the bluetooth cache and unpairing and re-pairing the connection. I even had the local Hyundai service centre take a look at it but it's still doing it. Anybody else been having this issue and if so have you managed to fix it?

• 2018 PD2 i30 SR

• au Australia
    Ipswich
Re: Bluetooth skip and stutter
« Reply #1 : January 22, 2019, 02:39:29 »
Hi Everyone,  I own a 2018 PD2  i30 SR and a Samsung 8+ phone. Whenever i attempt to play music from my phone over the car stereo via  bluetooth it skips and shudders like an old discman or knocked record. I've tried setting the bluetooth so it excludes contacts and phone, tried different music apps, turned off the NFC chip and wireless, cleared the bluetooth cache and unpairing and re-pairing the connection. I even had the local Hyundai service centre take a look at it but it's still doing it. Anybody else been having this issue and if so have you managed to fix it?
Just curious , is it music stored or music over and app into the Car? My Daughter's OPPO plays up using Google Music and Youtube music. Spotify seemed ok but have not proven exactly what it is. I don't stream from my S5 so can't compare and it's not just this car but also the other and both Hyundai, different headunits.

I'm talking 2010/11 vehicles
  • 2008 i30 SLX CRDi Auto, 2010 i30CW SLX CRDi Auto. 2008 i30 CRDi SX manual, Welly

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
« Reply #2 : January 22, 2019, 02:52:56 »
Welcome. I have a 2017 PD SR and a Samsung S8 and haven't experienced anything like that. The stereo in the PD2 SR Premium is slightly upgraded from mine I believe. The Galaxy 8 and 8+ should behave similarly.   :undecided:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2019 Kona Active 1.6T  (prev owned 3 other 130's incl a diesel)

• au Australia
    Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
« Reply #3 : January 22, 2019, 04:26:14 »
Just to  clarify,
S8 BT to other BT devices is perfect  ? 
Is it crap when stationary or on the move ?
Tried another car when at dealers ??
  • (09/16 Active X 5dr 1.8 6sp A) 02/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lander 2.2 6sp white

« Reply #4 : January 22, 2019, 06:42:02 »
Hi tw2005 - The music is a bit of both, some I have stored on my phone and some I stream over google play music but it seems to stutter for both. So frustrating!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:01:39 by Xebec25 » »
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

« Reply #5 : January 22, 2019, 06:46:02 »
Welcome. I have a 2017 PD SR and a Samsung S8 and haven't experienced anything like that. The stereo in the PD2 SR Premium is slightly upgraded from mine I believe. The Galaxy 8 and 8+ should behave similarly.   :undecided:

Funny you should mention that. Our work cars are all base model 2017 PD i30's and the bluetooth works fine in them. Just seems to happen with my car.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

« Reply #6 : January 22, 2019, 06:50:03 »
Just to  clarify,

The S8 works perfectly on other bluetooth devices. The skipping seems to happen regardless of my car being stationary or moving. The S8 works perfectly in the 2017 PD i30's at work except for the newest one which is a 2018 model. I get the same problem in that car. I haven't tried a different phone in my car though so that might be something to look at.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

• au Australia
    Adelaide, SA
« Reply #7 : January 22, 2019, 07:56:31 »
Do you happen to have a smartwatch or a fitbit like tracker connected. I found out that my xiaomi mi app was bugging so i had similar issues.
  • 2018 PD Active 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0, Auto, Plat. Silver

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
« Reply #8 : January 22, 2019, 08:29:36 »
Do you happen to have a smartwatch or a fitbit like tracker connected. I found out that my xiaomi mi app was bugging so i had similar issues.

That is a good thought!  :goodjob:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2019 Kona Active 1.6T  (prev owned 3 other 130's incl a diesel)

• au Australia
« Reply #9 : January 22, 2019, 19:12:05 »
Just to  clarify,

The S8 works perfectly on other bluetooth devices. The skipping seems to happen regardless of my car being stationary or moving. The S8 works perfectly in the 2017 PD i30's at work except for the newest one which is a 2018 model. I get the same problem in that car. I haven't tried a different phone in my car though so that might be something to look at.
Would appear to be an issue with 2018 model unit or software. 
Wonder if they could re load software or load 2017 version ??

« Reply #10 : January 23, 2019, 19:33:36 »

That is a good thought!  :goodjob:

Hi, no smart watch or fit bit. I do have some bluetooth head phones paired but they aren't the times i go driving.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

« Reply #11 : January 23, 2019, 19:35:39 »
Just to  clarify,

Would appear to be an issue with 2018 model unit or software. 
Wonder if they could re load software or load 2017 version ??

This is what i fear may be the case. I asked the dealer if it needed a software change when i asked them to take a look at it and have noticed they haven't done anything with the software. It is exactly the same version as when i put it in.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

« Reply #12 : January 24, 2019, 02:58:43 »
So i think I've found a solution. After testing my work phone which is a Windows phone in the car and seeing that work fine i could see it's my S8+ that was the issue. After a bit of a Google search I found a YouTube video about stuttering that showed how to turn off the in built battery optimisation for bluetooth which can interfer in signal strength. Doing this seems to have fixed the problem so far.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 SR

• au Australia
    Ipswich
« Reply #13 : January 24, 2019, 03:01:52 »
Hi tw2005 - The music is a bit of both, some I have stored on my phone and some I stream over google play music but it seems to stutter for both. So frustrating!
Yep, I have no answers, just curious as my daughter has a new Oppo R11S and starting to wonder if the phone is faulty. Then when I read your post starting wonder if there was a common link.

She's rarely in my car with it on but seems to be consistent though between two different cars.  :crazy1:
  • 2008 i30 SLX CRDi Auto, 2010 i30CW SLX CRDi Auto. 2008 i30 CRDi SX manual, Welly

• au Australia
« Reply #14 : January 24, 2019, 05:52:17 »
So i think I've found a solution. After testing my work phone which is a Windows phone in the car and seeing that work fine i could see it's my S8+ that was the issue. After a bit of a Google search I found a YouTube video about stuttering that showed how to turn off the in built battery optimisation for bluetooth which can interfer in signal strength. Doing this seems to have fixed the problem so far.

:ta:
Not only did you explain and explore your problem,  you found the cure !   :goodjob2: :goodjob: