i30 Owners Club

Wagon I30 or i40 purchase

Offline HAPPY FESTIVUS

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Administrator Comment From :link: Wagon I30 or i40 purchase

I'm in the same predicament at the moment. Have been looking for an i40 Premium Wagon Diesel, minimum late 2012, or have just thought about an i30 Wagon Diesel, they don't make a Premium variant do they? I do a few KM's a week so I'm after a diesel. i40 has all the bells and whistles  but will be an older car and they seem quite rare so parts maybe an issue as someone else mentioned.

Budget will be around 20K pending my current car selling.

Any known issues with the i30 Wagon's and in particular the Diesel? In saying that any issues with the i40 as there isn't a good forum for them and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable Hyundai owners here.
  • i30 Diesel Wagon or i40 Premium Diesel Wagon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The GD wagon had a diesel option http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Hyundai-i30-2015/OAG-AD-16990790/?Cr=1 I can recall some of the GD diesels had the odd issue with the 7 speed DCT auto boxes, there was a manual option to.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 13:37:43 by CraigB »

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Given most parts for the i40 come from other Hyundai/Kia cars I wouldn't expect parts to be a huge issue.

Plenty of wrecks on Ebay and the like last time I checked.

The i40 diesel engine/transmission are the same, just that the i40 is a 1.7 where as the i30 got a 1.6.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If 20K is the budget used then you have a large choice including SUVs I'd think.  If late 2012 is the marker then That's make it i30 Tourer or i40 Tourer if a wagon, but then you have ix35 Diesels AWD also an option, Tuscon, Santa Fe

The FD CW ran into 2012 but I'd head for the 6 speed Auto in the GD if after a slush box. DCT I think you'll be up for some expensive maintenance at some point sooner than a well serviced auto.

Gov auctions could have some bargains, i40 generally less resale, not as many around either

I'd be driving both. My i40 is quite soft and benign in the front end but it's really comfy and spaceous as well. 18s stick to the road, rubber is expensive for mainstream brands

No really serious issues, early FD autos can play up in the valve body with wear.  personally I flush mine out 3 years 60k regardless of what the books imply with longer drain intervals.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline HAPPY FESTIVUS

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Not interested in SUV, am after a Wagon. The newer model I can get the better for the i30, not too many diesels around. i40 was late 2012 as that is when they changed the centre screen, suspension changes and powered tailgate, but obviously the newer the better depending on KM.
  • i30 Diesel Wagon or i40 Premium Diesel Wagon

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:link: Hyundai Cars for Sale at Auction - Manheim Auctions

The current link for Qfleet vehicles. Hint if they usually have the former registration listed, if it is not QG rego plate look closer it might be an ex police vehicle. Both the FD wagon and i40 wagons have and are in the unmarked police fleet so it is worth a check.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Not interested in SUV, am after a Wagon. The newer model I can get the better for the i30, not too many diesels around. i40 was late 2012 as that is when they changed the centre screen, suspension changes and powered tailgate, but obviously the newer the better depending on KM.
Yeah , mine's the early one, I wish it had the NAV, not fussed on a powered tailgate.

SO you reckon they stiffened these up through production. I'm keen to do what I can to firm it up a little.

I can see that front  springs in the tourer changed .

Up to 7 May 2012 546303Z030

after 7 May 2012,  546303Z031

After 20 Mar 2013 546303Z034

Struts Front unchanged to 31 Jan 2015

Stabiliser bar unchanged to 31 jan 2015

For the rears it's similar except only 2 changes on the springs, the second being from Novenber 2013 on.

2015 on VF2

front springs changed 546303Z710
front struts  changed
front stabiliser changed 548103Z900

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@tw2005 Gerard,  you search skills are very handy. That's really interesting about the part changes.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't think the first of the i40s got the Australian treatment, but my Wife is always keen to tell me I can be wrong.

As an aside and a total threadjack @tw2005 is there a part number for the chrome insert to the handbrake button on the Fd Hatch, for some reason the good wife has broken hers, I disvocered this after it 'disapeared' when an uber driver decided to turn right in front of me. Shame road users can't rate them  :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I don't think the first of the i40s got the Australian treatment, but my Wife is always keen to tell me I can be wrong.

As an aside and a total threadjack @tw2005 is there a part number for the chrome insert to the handbrake button on the Fd Hatch, for some reason the good wife has broken hers, I disvocered this after it 'disapeared' when an uber driver decided to turn right in front of me. Shame road users can't rate them  :crazy1:
nope. You have to buy the whole handbrake.  Common failure in time. 2 of mine were missing. Salvaged 1 from a wreck I purchased

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I thought that would be the case. I wonder if blu tack might solve the problem.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
ago
If it's intact but won't clip in. I used a glue gun

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It is intact, just sitting in there. So another job added to the list  :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Bunnings > tube of roofers clear silicone = $3.00

Essential item in Ipswich. Place large dob behind number plate, lights, hub caps , bonnet, wife etc.

:goodjob:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Bunnings > tube of roofers clear silicone = $3.00

Essential item in Ipswich. Place large dob behind number plate, lights, hub caps , bonnet, wife etc.

:goodjob:

:rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal