i30 Owners Club

Petrol fuel filter replacement - necessary or not???

xaoc · 7 · 4525

Offline xaoc

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
      Skopje, Macedonia
So I'm at 80.000 km and I still haven't changed the fuel filter. The cars manual actually says that the filter needs to be checked (not changed) at 60 and 120k. Car works fine really, so I'm not sure if I need to change the filter. What do you guys recommend? also what are the dangers of a poor fuel filter???
  • hyundai i30 2010 1.4

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So I'm at 80.000 km and I still haven't changed the fuel filter. The cars manual actually says that the filter needs to be checked (not changed) at 60 and 120k. Car works fine really, so I'm not sure if I need to change the filter. What do you guys recommend? also what are the dangers of a poor fuel filter???
I wonder how you check it? Assuming petrol I think I'd be inclined to change it at 100 000K, seems strange they say just check it and depends on the quality of your fuel too. Clogged filter could stop the car, preventative maintenance is exactly that. Change it and then it's good  for another 80 or 100 thousand.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm guessing that the rationale for the reactive approach is that a filter will get blocked causing fuel starvation rather than contaminative damage.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Pajo

• 1st Gear

• sk Slovakia
Hello everyone,
I've been asking the question myself for quite some time and then came across the service manual for a Kia Ceed which basically shares all components with the i30.

The fuel filter is in the gas tank, so you need to remove / set aside the rear seating to reach it.

To get back to the question how to know if its ok or not, you would need to do a measurement check:

I'm at 120k and after talking to my mechanic he says I shouldn't worry about it since the filter is on the larger size for such a engine/vehicle and the filter change is not as straight forward as older cars and the correct test procedure would also take some time... Basically he said not worry for another 30k :D 
  • 2009 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4 cvvt, Manual

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
Hi All,
Jumping on this thread since its related to my question.
So, it is an FD 2012 , 2.0 Auto.  Got it 2 yrs ago with 43K km. Now, my previous car was an 2009 Accent 1.6. And both compared,  the accent seemed/felt  peppier . This  Has been bugging me since i got the car, but she goes with no issues so i kept procrastinating . Finally got around to change the fuel filter (@59 k). When i disconnected the pump and started the car... it only ran for 3-5 secs. It this normal to you ?? It seems quite short/low as time to run to release some fuel pressure in the fuel line ... when i disconnec ted the fuel line .. there was barely some fuel drops. Filter looked clean to me. So now as per the above post ... is it possible to have a.crappy fuel pressure regulator   for  that underpowered feel and about 12 l/100 km fuel consumption ? 

Sorry for the long post. I changed the filter the other day and drove it  only few secs .. did not notice any change . Hence my questions to you. Thanks.
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi All,
Jumping on this thread since its related to my question.
So, it is an FD 2012 , 2.0 Auto.  Got it 2 yrs ago with 43K km. Now, my previous car was an 2009 Accent 1.6. And both compared,  the accent seemed/felt  peppier . This  Has been bugging me since i got the car, but she goes with no issues so i kept procrastinating . Finally got around to change the fuel filter (@59 k). When i disconnected the pump and started the car... it only ran for 3-5 secs. It this normal to you ?? It seems quite short/low as time to run to release some fuel pressure in the fuel line ... when i disconnec ted the fuel line .. there was barely some fuel drops. Filter looked clean to me. So now as per the above post ... is it possible to have a.crappy fuel pressure regulator   for  that underpowered feel and about 12 l/100 km fuel consumption ? 

Sorry for the long post. I changed the filter the other day and drove it  only few secs .. did not notice any change . Hence my questions to you. Thanks.
Have a look at engine air filter as well.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
As for the air filter .. i got a K&N permanent filter for it .. installed 3-4k kms ago.
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal