i30 Owners Club

Clock spring 2013 gd airbag light

JRT86 · 6 · 1797

Offline JRT86

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi all. Brand new to forum. Have tried searching the plethora of information. Couldn’t find specifically what I’m after

What size torx bit do I need to remove airbag cover on steering wheel is my first question?

Car is a 2013 i30 gd active. Automatic. I live in Australia (if that matters?)

Second question. I read you may need a special tool to remove the wheel once the nut is off? Truth to this? If so. What’s the tool. YouTube is usually my go to but can’t find this specific model for information

Bought a new clockspring as my airbag light is coming on intermittently. I have had a mechanic mate log into Hyundai with the diagnostic tool and download all available updates. Not fixed. He suggested fitting clock spring. Have checked all wires under seats for tightness also

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Jay

• Silver 2013 i30 Gd auto 1.8L petrol 5dr hatch

Offline JRT86

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

Does not appear to be tork bit. Rather a star screw.

Offline JRT86

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Further update. I do need torx50 for the tamper proof screws I just found  :(

Offline Vitruvian

• 2nd Gear

Here you can see procedure for removing airbag, you need some screwdriver that can fit in holes, no matter what type.

Also, you don't need any tool to remove steering wheel after removal of nut, just pull it out.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Once the nut is loose, just pull on the wheel and rock it side to side a bit. It will come free. Dont start hammering the shaft.
If the clock spring fails, check front sensors especially the cables for damage. Sensor is on the side of each rail.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline JRT86

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thankyou guys. Your help has been amazing

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal