Author Topic: Replacing halogen to LED headlights.  (Read 439 times)

• gb United Kingdom
    Aberdeen City
Replacing halogen to LED headlights.
« May 10, 2019, 19:38:33 »
Hello folks.

I'm considering changing the current osram H7 bulbs that I have in my Hyundai i30 2010 classic to something with a lot more power and brightness which leads me to believe LED would be the best option or perhaps Philips.

I was wondering if anybody has any brand ideas or links to LEDs that would fit this car.

Thank you!

• I30 classic (2010)

• au Australia
    Perth
Re: Replacing halogen to LED headlights.
« Reply #1 : May 12, 2019, 13:10:04 »
I can point out a good brand and price :link: Narva H7 12/24 Volt LED Conversion Kit (18008) 9350156004683 | eBay whether you require adaptors for fitment on an FD I wouldn't know :undecided: or if rubber boots/covers are needed to cover the extra size of the bulb base :undecided:

Depending on laws in the UK the LED's might be illegal to install, they are here in Australia so install at your own risk :)

• Sir Newb
  • au Australia
    ACT
« Reply #2 : May 12, 2019, 18:30:14 »
Canít help you with LED Lights, but I recently upgraded my H7ís as I needed more light and ability to see at night. I picked up narva h7 +120% a month or so ago, and Iíve found them to be a great help at night without breaking the bank. Tho I assume their life expentency will be less, but I can live with that.  LEDís where a bit out of my price range at the time .

:link: NARVA PLUS 120 H7 12V 55W Head Lamp performance globes ADR Approved 48336BL2 | eBay

Obviously keep your old ones as backups :) .
  • 2010 DIESEL 1.6lt CRDi, AUTO SLX FD5DSLX16D31, black

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #3 : May 13, 2019, 00:39:27 »
I needed more light and ability to see at night.

:phone1: Yep, just checked with Gerard, he says lights are useful at night.  :goodjob2:

:yahoo:
  • Every FD model; BMW Z3 M; Mitzi Magna(mobile office)

• au Australia
    Perth
« Reply #4 : May 13, 2019, 00:40:59 »
Canít help you with LED Lights, but I recently upgraded my H7ís as I needed more light and ability to see at night. I picked up narva h7 +120% a month or so ago, and Iíve found them to be a great help at night without breaking the bank. Tho I assume their life expentency will be less, but I can live with that.  LEDís where a bit out of my price range at the time .

:link: NARVA PLUS 120 H7 12V 55W Head Lamp performance globes ADR Approved 48336BL2 | eBay

Obviously keep your old ones as backups :) .
Same as you I used a Narva bulb upgrade, changed from my Philips White Vision Plus 30 which werenít bad but I wanted a little more distance. 
Now Iíve got the new Narva Sapphire plus 50 bulbs which have a long life with slightly longer beam throw and a whiter 5000k look, Supercheap are the only store I know as yet that are stocking the new bulbs :link: Narva | H7 12V 55W SAPPHIRE PLUS 50 HALOGEN HEADLIGHT GLOBES (BL2)

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
« Reply #5 : May 13, 2019, 02:06:54 »
$80 a pair.. I suppose that's a lot cheaper than LED.

:link: Narva Arctic Plus 50 Headlight Globe - H7, 12V, 55W | Supercheap Auto
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #6 : May 13, 2019, 02:22:40 »
also legal.  :goodjob2:

• Sir Newb
  • au Australia
    ACT
« Reply #7 : May 13, 2019, 03:26:35 »
I needed more light and ability to see at night.

:phone1: Yep, just checked with Gerard, he says lights are useful at night.  :goodjob2:

:yahoo:

:packoflies:
  • 2010 DIESEL 1.6lt CRDi, AUTO SLX FD5DSLX16D31, black

• au Australia
    Perth
« Reply #8 : May 13, 2019, 05:43:10 »

They're the Arctic bulbs which I think might be getting phased out with the new Sapphire bulbs, but yes they're on sale for $80 at the moment :goodjob2:

Auto one don't stock them yet and when I enquired they said about $110 will be their price, cant get them on eBay at this early stage either.

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #9 : May 13, 2019, 06:14:20 »

They're the Arctic bulbs which I think might be getting phased out with the new Sapphire bulbs, but yes they're on sale for $80 at the moment :goodjob2:

Auto one don't stock them yet and when I enquired they said about $110 will be their price, cant get them on eBay at this early stage either.

Oh I searched sapphire.. I didn't pick up they were different to what I searched. I even put in the code.  :crazy2:

• au Australia
    Perth
« Reply #10 : May 13, 2019, 06:20:27 »
Oh I searched sapphire.. I didn't pick up they were different to what I searched. I even put in the code.  :crazy2:
Yeah they aren't yet listed under the normal web purchase avenues, they are mentioned in the latest catalogue though.

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Adelaide
  • Callsign GUNZ
« Reply #11 : May 13, 2019, 09:19:34 »
I'd be interested in understanding the ideal compatible profile for H7 LED for the FD. There's a bit of risk of buying duds if unsure.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG's PDSRPremAuto

• au Australia
    Perth
« Reply #12 : May 13, 2019, 12:23:00 »
I'd be interested in understanding the ideal compatible profile for H7 LED for the FD. There's a bit of risk of buying duds if unsure.
@The Gonz  The Narva H7 LED kit I mentioned before :link: Narva H7 12/24 Volt LED Conversion Kit (18008) 9350156004683 | eBay has the correct structure for replication of the H7 halogen beam pattern with a 2000Lm brightness per bulb, not a bad price as well for a reputable brand when compared to Philips at nearly twice that amount.

• gb United Kingdom
    Leicester
« Reply #13 : May 14, 2019, 10:39:07 »
Hi All,

They are illegal in UK, but because the law was written in 1989, when there was no cars with LED lights.

1. New cars are fitted with LED lamps, why can I not install LED bulbs in my carís lights to improve the looks and illumination?
New cars are fitted with LED lamps, which have been tested and pass Whole Vehicle Type Approval. Under British Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, LEDs are not mentioned, because they were not invented, when the legislation was penned in 1989, meaning that they are not permitted at all. However, new cars fitted with LED lights are allowed to be used in the UK, because the lamps pass European / UNECE technical standards (although some of these latest LED lamps seem more dazzling to me than ever before).
Nonetheless, the Ďbulbsí on those newer cars thus equipped, at the time of writing, cannot be renewed. If an LED module fails, the whole lamp has to be replaced.
Not only do conversion bulbs fail to comply with the aforementioned European technical standards but also fitting them ensures that your lamp will not perform as designed and will prejudice the Whole Vehicle Type Approval of your vehicle.

Source: :link: How to fit LED lighting to your car legally - Motoring Advice and News

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:47:22 by Paolo39 » »

• gb United Kingdom
    Leicester
« Reply #14 : May 14, 2019, 10:50:34 »
Also another good blog about fitting LED bulbs into halogen designed headlamps:

:link: Avoid fitting illegal LED light bulbs to your car - Motoring Advice and News

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #15 : May 14, 2019, 13:03:05 »

:link: Avoid fitting illegal LED light bulbs to your car - Motoring Advice and News

Mate, this is written by  yet another public service rabbit, citing all previous servant thought bubbles.

The problem arises from the design of the headlight. Essentially, new LED lights & bulb shield the upward glare from  the bulb  toward on-coming traffic

To just thrust a new bulb into a old style lamp and expect it to perform like a 2019 BMW is impossible,

• gb United Kingdom
    Leicester
« Reply #16 : May 14, 2019, 13:48:45 »

Mate, this is written by  yet another public service rabbit, citing all previous servant thought bubbles.

The problem arises from the design of the headlight. Essentially, new LED lights & bulb shield the upward glare from  the bulb  toward on-coming traffic

To just thrust a new bulb into a old style lamp and expect it to perform like a 2019 BMW is impossible,

GEM Motoring Assist is breakdown service in UK, just for clarification.
Beside it explains legality of fitting LED bulbs into cars in UK.

Also explains exactly, what you said:
Fitting LED conversion bulbs will prevent the optics within the lamp from working as designed, increasing the risk of dazzling other drivers, thus reducing the effectiveness of the lamp. It can also cause faults within a modern carís electrical system, such as bulb failure warning systems.

• au Australia
    Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
« Reply #17 : May 15, 2019, 04:34:31 »
You can only do so much to any item to improve from original design.
Slightly uprated original type design is the easiest,  BUT  cannotbe compared to  later designs.
A bit like "lipstick on a pig" if you follow.

• 09/16 GD4 SII Active X 5dr 1.8 6sp A. 02/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lander 2.2 6sp white

• au Australia
    Canberra
« Reply #18 : May 17, 2019, 05:14:00 »
Hello folks.

I'm considering changing the current osram H7 bulbs that I have in my Hyundai i30 2010 classic to something with a lot more power and brightness which leads me to believe LED would be the best option or perhaps Philips.

I was wondering if anybody has any brand ideas or links to LEDs that would fit this car.

Thank you!

Low beam bulbs were one of the first upgrades when I got my i30. I bought Osram Silvar Star 2.0 and have been happy with them.

I've also been looking at upgrading again to LEDs and one of the main points to note (as has been mentioned already) is that the headlight design expects the light source to be in a particular point (ie height) along the bulb.

There is this brand that I've been looking which had answered some of my queries. I had a quick look but not sure if they ship overseas. I don't think they create the bulbs in-house as I have seen similar designs on ebay, amazon etc but they might do the design/specs and of course provide support (with the sale price to match).

:link: HYUNDAI GETZ i30 ELANTRA SANTE FE SONATA iLOAD iMAX iX35 LED Light Upgrade Conversion Kit

Let us know how you go with your bulb search.
  • 2014 Hyundai i30 GD Trophy CRDi

• au Australia
    Perth
« Reply #19 : May 17, 2019, 11:11:47 »
@pug20g the zes chips on those are good and the end cap is correct for beam pattern match but they are a high/low beam design which don't match the GD system, GD's have high and low as separate bulbs.

The cooling straps on them are also early technology, they're quite messy and don't work as well as more modern designs, the dust caps still wont fit over them either on the GD.

No matter what LED you choose you'll need the rubber extension boots on a GD model.

• au Australia
    Perth
« Reply #20 : May 17, 2019, 12:01:25 »
The version pictured there might differ from what's written in the specs on further reading, 6 LED chips per bulb - 3 per side which would be correct for a GD, the one's pictured are obviously incorrect.

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #21 : May 17, 2019, 17:53:20 »
The version pictured there might differ from what's written in the specs on further reading, 6 LED chips per bulb - 3 per side which would be correct for a GD, the one's pictured are obviously incorrect.

Thanks for shedding some light on this Craig...  :D