Author Topic: i30 GD - Difficulty Selecting Reverse Gear  (Read 237 times)

• england England
    Birmingham, UK
i30 GD - Difficulty Selecting Reverse Gear
« May 14, 2019, 16:19:20 »
This seems to have come about rather suddenly. One evening I attempted to reverse the vehicle and found it would not go into reverse. Upon edging forwards and then trying, it eventually engaged reverse.

This has continued to occur seemingly at random. Occasionally there is a slight resistance when trying to engage first gear.

What can be done to self diagnose what may be happening here, before the dealership gets involved?

Vehicle is in warranty until end of August. It's done less than 40k miles.

• 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
Re: i30 GD - Difficulty Selecting Reverse Gear
« Reply #1 : May 14, 2019, 17:47:27 »
Sorry to hear that. So it doesn't seem to be related to outside temperature/ oil temperature?

Does the clutch feel any different? The point at which it engages?

I'd be getting it to the dealer ASAP so they can get a couple of shots at it (if required) before the warranty runs out.

Try and get some acknowledgement of the fault in writing and keep it safe in case it reoccurs again shortly after warranty expiry (assuming they manage to fix it successfully)

Hopefully it's an easy fix.  :Good_luck:

• MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

• Author
  • england England
    Birmingham, UK
« Reply #2 : May 14, 2019, 18:13:45 »
Thanks Dazzler. I don't feel anything is different about the clutch or the point where it engages.

Since you mentioned, it does seem to occur more often when the vehicle is cold or hasn't been driven. This week the UK has seen warmer temperatures and it has not happened in the past couple of days. What would cold mean in context of this issue?

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #3 : May 14, 2019, 18:38:03 »
Thanks Dazzler. I don't feel anything is different about the clutch or the point where it engages.

Since you mentioned, it does seem to occur more often when the vehicle is cold or hasn't been driven. This week the UK has seen warmer temperatures and it has not happened in the past couple of days. What would cold mean in context of this issue?

JUst the oil being thicker in the transmission. I wonder how long since the transmission oil has been changed. There are friction modifier additives than can be added to manual transmission fluid (preferably at the same time as the oil is replaced) which will improve shift change. However in your case, you wouldn't want to mask any other issue that might be happening.

Hopefully it is nothing sinister but it definitely needs investigating ASAP. Fingers crossed it's just a linkage issue (I think these can be adjusted)?

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #4 : May 15, 2019, 01:12:37 »
Linkage can be adjusted at the gearbox. I think that will solve your problem..... if clutch travel is ok.
  • Every FD model; BMW Z3 M; Mitzi Magna(mobile office)

• Author
  • england England
    Birmingham, UK
« Reply #5 : May 15, 2019, 10:05:26 »
Thanks both. The dealership said they'll need the vehicle for a whole day to investigate. Booked in and will advise what happens. They have a compulsory charge for loan car insurance now... shame as I would have liked to try the Ioniq!

• au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
« Reply #6 : May 15, 2019, 17:41:50 »
Thanks both. The dealership said they'll need the vehicle for a whole day to investigate. Booked in and will advise what happens. They have a compulsory charge for loan car insurance now... shame as I would have liked to try the Ioniq!

Glad they don't have that here yet. I enjoy my test drive/loans...  :evil:

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #7 : May 16, 2019, 02:08:11 »

Glad they don't have that here yet. I enjoy my test drive/loans...  :evil:

Hmmm. :disapp:. the Poms were always plunderers rather than market creators.

Go to the USA, they give you a brand new car to use for a week. The neighbours are impressed. :cool: After it's been in your carport for 7 days, you have to buy it, just to keep your affluent image alive.  :victory:
  • Every FD model; BMW Z3 M; Mitzi Magna(mobile office)