i30 Owners Club

i30 GD - Difficulty Selecting Reverse Gear

wbm00 · 20 · 6471

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
This seems to have come about rather suddenly. One evening I attempted to reverse the vehicle and found it would not go into reverse. Upon edging forwards and then trying, it eventually engaged reverse.

This has continued to occur seemingly at random. Occasionally there is a slight resistance when trying to engage first gear.

What can be done to self diagnose what may be happening here, before the dealership gets involved?

Vehicle is in warranty until end of August. It's done less than 40k miles.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that. So it doesn't seem to be related to outside temperature/ oil temperature?

Does the clutch feel any different? The point at which it engages?

I'd be getting it to the dealer ASAP so they can get a couple of shots at it (if required) before the warranty runs out.

Try and get some acknowledgement of the fault in writing and keep it safe in case it reoccurs again shortly after warranty expiry (assuming they manage to fix it successfully)

Hopefully it's an easy fix.  :Good_luck:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Thanks Dazzler. I don't feel anything is different about the clutch or the point where it engages.

Since you mentioned, it does seem to occur more often when the vehicle is cold or hasn't been driven. This week the UK has seen warmer temperatures and it has not happened in the past couple of days. What would cold mean in context of this issue?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazzler. I don't feel anything is different about the clutch or the point where it engages.

Since you mentioned, it does seem to occur more often when the vehicle is cold or hasn't been driven. This week the UK has seen warmer temperatures and it has not happened in the past couple of days. What would cold mean in context of this issue?

JUst the oil being thicker in the transmission. I wonder how long since the transmission oil has been changed. There are friction modifier additives than can be added to manual transmission fluid (preferably at the same time as the oil is replaced) which will improve shift change. However in your case, you wouldn't want to mask any other issue that might be happening.

Hopefully it is nothing sinister but it definitely needs investigating ASAP. Fingers crossed it's just a linkage issue (I think these can be adjusted)?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Linkage can be adjusted at the gearbox. I think that will solve your problem..... if clutch travel is ok.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Thanks both. The dealership said they'll need the vehicle for a whole day to investigate. Booked in and will advise what happens. They have a compulsory charge for loan car insurance now... shame as I would have liked to try the Ioniq!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks both. The dealership said they'll need the vehicle for a whole day to investigate. Booked in and will advise what happens. They have a compulsory charge for loan car insurance now... shame as I would have liked to try the Ioniq!

Glad they don't have that here yet. I enjoy my test drive/loans...  :evil:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Glad they don't have that here yet. I enjoy my test drive/loans...  :evil:

Hmmm. :disapp:. the Poms were always plunderers rather than market creators.

Go to the USA, they give you a brand new car to use for a week. The neighbours are impressed. :cool: After it's been in your carport for 7 days, you have to buy it, just to keep your affluent image alive.  :victory:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
The vehicle went into the dealership this morning. They took apart the gearbox and have found an oil leak, but say they can't identify where it's coming from. So they're keeping it in the workshop until tomorrow.

Back to public transport... :faint:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 16:02:59 by wbm00 »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The vehicle went into the dealership this morning. They took apart the gearbox and have found an oil leak, but say they can't identify where it's coming from. So they're keeping it in the workshop until tomorrow.

@tw2005  please read the above nonsense and , if you still have the stomach, please comment.

I shall refrain, fearing  that Dazz will interpret my comments as further bias intended to reduce Hyundai Dealer reputation to gutter level.  :whistler:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Not understanding what is nonsense? Should they have diagnosed and fixed an oil leak within one day?

If so, I will take this delay up with the service manager and will make a complaint to Hyundai UK. But at this stage I feel I should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not understanding what is nonsense? Should they have diagnosed and fixed an oil leak within one day?

If so, I will take this delay up with the service manager and will make a complaint to Hyundai UK. But at this stage I feel I should give them the benefit of the doubt.

It does seem odd, even to a non-mechanic person like me, that they can take a gearbox apart and can't see where it is leaking from! However, you really have no choice but to give them the benefit of the doubt on this occasion.  :undecided:

Being a warranty issue hopefully, it's worth giving them time to get it sorted. The wife's 2014 Manual Tourer was dropping small amounts of oil (few drops a week) on our garage floor. That was eventually diagnosed as a seal between the Engine and gearbox. They then identified that some oil had also leaked on to the clutch plate! So after having her car for almost two weeks (I think it was) the seal and clutch were replaced. We did get a no cost loan of a newish i30 hatch though.

The delay was due to waiting for clutch replacement authority under warranty and ordering/arrival of parts etc..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

@tw2005  please read the above nonsense and , if you still have the stomach, please comment.

I shall refrain, fearing  that Dazz will interpret my comments as further bias intended to reduce Hyundai Dealer reputation to gutter level.  :whistler:
Does sound unusual.  maybe there's 2 things happening here, they found a leak, then pulled it apart for something else.

or Maybe it started leaking after it was pulled apart, I'd find it difficult to find the leak then it that case.

There's only so many places it could leak. between the casing faces, driveshaft seals or around the input shaft, drain plugs.

But if it had been leaking for a while that could make it hard to find the source, you'd have to clean it up and monitor.

Or maybe the leak has gone on the clutch surfaces.

Poor translation of what was done at the counter? Found a leak and pulled  the box out?

@nzenigma

Didn't Dazz have an internal leak on one of his trans in the bell housing :rolleyes: @Dazzler
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Didn't Dazz have an internal leak on one of his trans in the bell housing :rolleyes: @Dazzler

Mentioned in my previous post.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Mentioned in my previous post.
  :rofl: skimmed past that one  :goodjob2:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Diagnosed as an oil input shaft leak, so replacing seal and clutch assembly under warranty.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Diagnosed as an oil input shaft leak, so replacing seal and clutch assembly under warranty.
Nice, now that makes sense. So sounds like the clutch surface is contaminated and sticky clutch plate not releasing

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good result (Hopefully) Not bad getting a new clutch for nix on an almost 5 year old car (almost worth the inconvenience)

Trish's wagon was good as new (or better) after her seal and clutch were replaced.  :victory:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK

Good result (Hopefully) Not bad getting a new clutch for nix on an almost 5 year old car (almost worth the inconvenience)

Trish's wagon was good as new (or better) after her seal and clutch were replaced.  :victory:

My thoughts exactly, car has done 40k miles.

Thanks everyone for the replies and guidance :goodjob:

Update: the clutch pedal feels lighter to press and the vehicle feels great to drive. Despite the communication issues from the dealership, I consider it lucky that this happened when it did and not a few months down the line after expiry of the warranty. Thanks again folks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 18:35:19 by wbm00 »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal