i30 Owners Club

Kayaks - thoughts please.

mickd · 22 · 3985

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Yesterday and today we've been having a crack at kayaking.
Tried a sit-in type yesterday, and a sit-on type today.
Both found :
SO type easier for  entry and exit, very stable but found slightly harder to steer with slower response.
SI type excellent turning and less effort required to move through the water.

The SI was only 11kg with a normal looking hull,  the SO was 20kg with a catamaran style hull thus explaining above -we think  :lol:
Not interested in a peddle type  set up.
Any thoughts /experience would be appreciated .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My daughter and I have  sit in type kayaks.
Mine's close to 16' and hers marginally shorter.
Yes they're a little harder to get into but you get used to it.
Much easier to paddle for any distance.
You can see ours on the roof of my i30 in my posts.
Heavier than what you're talking about though.  Maybe you've had the shorter ones.
Greatly enjoyable on the waterways.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Keen to help mate. I was going to say make sure you get one without a hole in it... But I guess they need one hole!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The Seak Hybrids from Anaconda I thought were well balanced, I've used the brothers ones before which are similar to what I used when Kayaking some of the rivers in counties I've visited, suitable for rivers and light surf.

They're a sit in type with a larger opening for easier access and they track well for a short Kayak, the resin hulls make them slightly heavier than the glass types but the resin hull is more resilient when you hit rocks :)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My daughter and I have  sit in type kayaks.
Mine's close to 16' and hers marginally shorter.
Yes they're a little harder to get into but you get used to it.
Much easier to paddle for any distance.
You can see ours on the roof of my i30 in my posts.
Heavier than what you're talking about though.  Maybe you've had the shorter ones.
Greatly enjoyable on the waterways.
Thanks mate.
SI was 10'2  Riot Intrigue  ultra light -$1550. SO was elcheapo plastic job.
Actually pushing up and out is compromised by my restricted movement and strength in both arms, so I  found SO easier,  till I planted my arse too quick and too far to the  side, flat on my back & legs in the air  stuck. Anita, her friend Lynda & me all pissing our selves laughing   :rofl: :rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The Seak Hybrids from Anaconda I thought were well balanced, I've used the brothers ones before which are similar to what I used when Kayaking some of the rivers in counties I've visited, suitable for rivers and light surf.

They're a sit in type with a larger opening for easier access and they track well for a short Kayak, the resin hulls make them slightly heavier than the glass types but the resin hull is more resilient when you hit rocks :)

Thanks  mate , sounds good , will investigate.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

:goodjob2: this is the Hybrid pictured

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Go the "hybrid" Mick!  :happydance:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Go the "hybrid" Mick!  :happydance:
Little did you know that I was thinking of going "hybrid"   :winker:
:link: 25lb Thurst Kayak Canoe Inflatable Boat Trolling Electric 12V Motor 60cm Shaft | eBay
With  lithium motor bkie battery!   :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory:

Offline HAPPY FESTIVUS

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I've been looking at Kayak's for a while. Took one of these for a spin as you can carry a big load on them as I go away on weekends and need camping gear and supplies. Handled well so I will be purchasing next week and they are local to me. Much better than anything from Anaconda/BCF etc. IMHO.

:link: Dream Catcher 4 Kayak | Gold Coast
  • i30 Diesel Wagon or i40 Premium Diesel Wagon

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've been looking at Kayak's for a while. Took one of these for a spin as you can carry a big load on them as I go away on weekends and need camping gear and supplies. Handled well so I will be purchasing next week and they are local to me. Much better than anything from Anaconda/BCF etc. IMHO.

They are no different to the fishing kayaks at Anaconda, still resin hulls though more expensive and 27kg’s if ya feel like lugging that around :crazy1:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Both found :
SO type easier for  entry and exit, very stable but found slightly harder to steer with slower response.

The SI was only 11kg with a normal looking hull,  the SO was 20kg with a catamaran style hull thus explaining above -we think  :lol:

Great Mick! I liked Kayaking, I had a 10kg SI type & loved it but took up room got in my way. so sold it , I was talking to a guy who has a ocean going kayak its skinny & long. was talking about my SI h said only problem with SI if you go outside is, get a big wave go over, they can fill up with water & your in trouble. I like the Hobbit peddle Kayaks but they are heavy.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Both found :

Great Mick! I liked Kayaking, I had a 10kg SI type & loved it but took up room got in my way. so sold it , I was talking to a guy who has a ocean going kayak its skinny & long. was talking about my SI h said only problem with SI if you go outside is, get a big wave go over, they can fill up with water & your in trouble. I like the Hobbit peddle Kayaks but they are heavy.
Hi Lakes,
Thanks for the info,  no chance in hell I'll be going outside   :Shocked:  :eek: wsy too scary for me.  Juat a paddle around a few of the  lakes around here.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Thanks but too heavy us two. Glad it works for you,  looks like a good product,  but I've go two r-ted shoulders.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@mickd I've been reading up on that Riot Intrigue you've been looking at, very nice little Kayak that is :goodjob2: Cant beat the weight and I think the entry is even larger than the Seak.

Price is up there but it's a quality Kayak :link: Riot Intrigue TX Recreational Kayak

Hopefully I'm not tempting myself into getting one :whistler: :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Whatever floats your boat...  :whistler: :evil:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@mickd I've been reading up on that Riot Intrigue you've been looking at, very nice little Kayak that is :goodjob2: Cant beat the weight and I think the entry is even larger than the Seak.

Price is up there but it's a quality Kayak :link: Riot Intrigue TX Recreational Kayak

@CraigB
Looked a good  build quality,  very,  very smooth finish internally and externally.
Weight is a critical factor. The owner one arm injury / damage that restricts her lifting. Her bad arm is equal to my good arm thus getting out problems   :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:.
 Anita won't have any problems on her own.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Okay its been a while, but,
The Activity vehicle with a main activity.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Great looking Kona Mick, really looks the part with the Kayak on top :goodjob2:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Great looking Kona Mick, really looks the part with the Kayak on top :goodjob2:
@CraigB
This boss/owner/paddler says " Thank You "

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks great!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal