i30 Owners Club

Problems after MDPS coupling replaced.

lee-57 · 17 · 7824

Offline lee-57

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Auto electrician took 11/2 days to replace MDPS coupling on my 2011 Hyundai  cw wagon. Said the computer wouldn't recognize the new part. Picked up car yesterday. Now the Malfunction Indicator lamp is on all the time and air con is not working and heater won't turn off either when switched over. Don't know what's happening .
  • 2011 hyundai cw diesel wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome.

Scary stuff! I feel your pain. Hopefully we can offer some helpful suggestions.

I personally don't know where to start! I'll have to have a good think about it.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Auto electrician took 11/2 days to replace MDPS coupling on my 2011 Hyundai  cw wagon. Said the computer wouldn't recognize the new part. Picked up car yesterday. Now the Malfunction Indicator lamp is on all the time and air con is not working and heater won't turn off either when switched over. Don't know what's happening .
Sounds like his problem to fix, but then maybe best he does not. Was the cost reduced due to his inability to do the job?
Do you know what parts of the car were dismantled? Standard A/C or Climate control/

Computer won't recognise what? The plastic coupler?

What light is lit exactly in the Cluster?

Sometimes the steering Angle sensor needs to be calibrated . Sounds like he does not have the diagnostic tool to do this.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
sounds like something may have been disturbed for the A/C controls. The blend doors are operated by stepper motors, so seems to me likely a controls issue whether a harness has been disturbed, bad fuse maybe. assuming this all coincided upon completion of this work.

What part of QLD are you located?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Changing the coupling is a 2.5 HOUR job. Cost around $220 total.

As tw said, its just a bit of plastic, nothing  for ECU to recognise.

How did he attack the job? Does it look like he removed the dash?  Sounds like an idiot, that may explain the other malfunctions.

You need to get a refund and find a good mechanic.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline lee-57

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

After he replaced the coupling he said the steering computer wouldn't read it so he replaced the computer. The next day the engine light came on and the gears were clunking and I lost power when taking off.  Really rough running. I took it back and he said his diagnostic tool said it was the transmission. I had the harness and the solenoid replaced. No difference to the car. Took it back to the auto electrician.  He said it was the transmission computer. He put a second hand one in. The transmission guy said his diagnostic tool said there was nothing wrong with the harness or solenoid but when he looked he had to replace the parts.  After that, his diagnostic tool went crazy and he was the one who took the car back to the auto electrician.  I fi
nally got the car back yesterday. Now the dash lights aren't working when I put the head lights on. A $300 job is now $2,000.  I fed up. I had no car for 7 days as neither person could work out the problem.
  • 2011 hyundai cw diesel wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

After he replaced the coupling he said the steering computer wouldn't read it so he replaced the computer. The next day the engine light came on and the gears were clunking and I lost power when taking off.  Really rough running. I took it back and he said his diagnostic tool said it was the transmission. I had the harness and the solenoid replaced. No difference to the car. Took it back to the auto electrician.  He said it was the transmission computer. He put a second hand one in. The transmission guy said his diagnostic tool said there was nothing wrong with the harness or solenoid but when he looked he had to replace the parts.  After that, his diagnostic tool went crazy and he was the one who took the car back to the auto electrician.  I fi
nally got the car back yesterday. Now the dash lights aren't working when I put the head lights on. A $300 job is now $2,000.  I fed up. I had no car for 7 days as neither person could work out the problem.
I probably already asked  where you are
 As I have a factory level tool
 Anyway sounds like a lot of parts swapping potentially in error.
A shorted   sensor on the trans can take out the cluster I just don't remember  now what part. If you're in SE Q I'm happy to have a look .

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

jeeeez mate, sorry this sux. I hope you havent paid this dick head.

A major part of these two guys incompetence is their inability to think logically.

Everything was fine until the so called electrician touched the steering column.

Tw and I have had mystery faults many times.
 If I replace a component and the unit suddenly fails to work, I ask  what did I do wrong; or has the new component failed?
I then back track over the work I have done  and eventually find the fault.
I do NOT dive down some rabbit hole and replace parts that have no association  with the original work.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Jeepers! What a nightmare!   :sweating:
You shouldn't have to pay for all that incompetence!  :disapp:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

The MIL would have been an error code logged, important information not given here or to yourself by the sounds. I'm quite happy jumping to conclusions but I have little confidence in what's happening here.

Do you have all the old parts as well? I hope so, you own them and I'm betting there's nothing wrong with the computer either.

There are 2 speed sensors on the box that I've had fail, one burning out and shorting on the box. This will also take a fuse out although I think for me I lost the centre display in the cluster. Either of those will trip the MIL and put the box in failsafe ( clunks, 2, 3 avaliable only manually)  hence loss of power at the wheels. Imagine trying to take off in 2nd or 3rd in a manual.

How do they get to $2000 though! :crazy1:

Have not read of any TCU failures yet, could be wrong but seems more likely poor diagnostics

Also see if you can get the tech to explain or quantify a diagnostic tool going crazy

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :wss:

diagnostic tool going crazy ,  :wacko: me thinks the operator needs to read the manual, if he can read.

This all so bizarre, all I can suggest is that the guy did some major electrical damage when he was removing or refitting the steering column. It must start at that point.

simple scenario. As we know, with an ESP fault, the power steer can remain hot with ignition off. Did they leave battery connected and try 'an in car' bush change , therefore  zapped the controller etc. ?

or did battery go flat and apprentice connected jumpers in reverse polarity, and has kept his mouth shut ever since?

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Likely causes NZenigma.
Either way a faulty bush being replaced has nothing to do with other 'problems' that have manifested unless mis-management was involved.

It will be interesting to see if the 'technician' admits faulty practices and covers the bill...or....holds his hand out for the money and admits nothing.

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
Sounds like one of the computers is loosing ground or power. Possibly on the first one he replaced. Did electrician put back all connectors back correctly (push till click and in correct places)?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Sounds like one of the computers is loosing ground or power. Possibly on the first one he replaced. Did electrician put back all connectors back correctly (push till click and in correct places)?
You just got to wonder what went pear shaped here or it's a bunch of coincidences. The TCU is located up high left in drivers footwell.

The column removal is messy with cabling but straight forward, lack of knowledge or prior prep reading up on what the procedure was potentially triggered this mess with inadequate diagnostic tooling.

Sure went south real fast to $2000 from a $5 plastic bush .  :crazy2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm feeling better after some of these disasters in spending thousands to change my cars while they are still in warranty.  :sweating:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'm feeling better after some of these disasters in spending thousands to change my cars while they are still in warranty.  :sweating:

We invent disasters to keep Tasmanians happy......and at home :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We invent disasters to keep Tasmanians happy......and at home :mrgreen:

I'm happy, but I'm not home much..  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal