i30 Owners Club

Low oil level in my 2010 1.6 i30

DarraghR · 52 · 15898

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
What a difference a new day, a 24” computer monitor and computer glasses can make.  Yesterday afternoon I had my home carpets steam cleaned and had to wait until now before I could access the room with my main computer and computer glasses (accidentally left in there). 

I figured my ancient 15” laptop on the kitchen table would be good enough to temporarily handle the day’s important stuff (like emails) and interesting stuff (like forum post about oil levels).  Well, the smaller screen with its average resolution coupled with my less-than-good vision caused me to mistake a “shadow” on DarraghR’s dipstick as oil!  D’oh!!

Now back on my big computer screen I can clearly see that the oil level on the dipstick is at the Green arrow, not at the Red arrow where I thought is was. See photo below. D’oh!, again,  (I wondered why no-one else was seeing the same issue I was seeing 😊).  Sorry, DarraghR, for misleading you.  As others have said, that level over the F mark is ok and just check levels say, weekly.

@DarraghR - But I’m still a bit confused by the final sentence in your last post: “Current level is on F mark when cold and about 85% after engine was running hot.”  I assumed the “85%” refers to the distance along the dipstick from Low to Full, i.e. the level is about 15% below the Full mark.  If so, I don’t understand how the same oil when checked hot can be lower on the dipstick than when checked cold UNLESS you didn't wait the 5 minutes after turning off the engine and you checked it straightaway.  But, I thought you were checking oil levels according to the owners manual?

What have I missed (apart from taking my meds)?  Anyone? 😊

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:58:56 by TerryT »
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
My head hurts! but thanks anyway Terry!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Dazzler,

I've deleted two paragraphs from my original post which, on reflection, weren't necessary and make the post slightly more reader-friendly (just "slightly" :)).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Dazzler,

I've deleted two paragraphs from my original post which, on reflection, weren't necessary and make the post slightly more reader-friendly (just "slightly" :)).

You didn't have to do that mate! I have a medical condition (Parkinson's ) which seems to make me less able to absorb complicated written scenarios and the like. I can no longer read complicated books or follow complicated story lines on TV shows either!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Dazzler,

You didn't have to do that mate! I have a medical condition (Parkinson's ) which seems to make me less able to absorb complicated written scenarios and the like. I can no longer read complicated books or follow complicated story lines on TV shows either!  :crazy1:

Nah, mate, I think it needed it :D.  I'm a chatty person when something interests me and that can be reflected in forum posts.  I'm just a bit embarrassed that through a sequence of events I 'misread' a photo and gave DarraghR some poor advice. 

I am aware of your Parkinson's; I've seen your "I've-been-probed-by-aliens" headpiece; and I'm impressed by your determination to soldier on. :goodjob2:   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:48:25 by TerryT »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers Terry, you may have noticed I'm naturally chatty too...  :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm stuck on the waffles, Hmmmm. :lol:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Co. Dublin
It might be hard to tell but it is reading at F. When I pull the dipstick out sometimes it collects excess oil along the edges past the F level.

@TerryT - "But I’m still a bit confused by the final sentence in your last post: “Current level is on F mark when cold and about 85% after engine was running hot.”  I assumed the “85%” refers to the distance along the dipstick from Low to Full, i.e. the level is about 15% below the Full mark.  If so, I don’t understand how the same oil when checked hot can be lower on the dipstick than when checked cold UNLESS you didn't wait the 5 minutes after turning off the engine and you checked it straightaway.  But, I thought you were checking oil levels according to the owners manual?"

This may be some misinformation on my end due to taking the readings in different spots and the car may not have been on completely flat ground. Also I may have mixed up my hot and cold readings.

Right here are the readings I took after my 150k+ drive.

This was taken after the car was running for over an hour.

Taken 5 minutes later

And the next day

I found that I had to put the dipstick in quite a few times to get a reading today. As you can see on the last picture there is some excess oil past the F mark. Would this be an indication that I have a little bit too much in there? Really do not want to f**k up the engine with overfilling.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 14:54:53 by DarraghR »
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Going by the last two pictures it's perfect, check again in a couple of weeks and it should still be the same if all good :goodjob2:

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ DarraghR.

Photo #2 (after 5 minutes) is the money shot, that's what you want, imo.  All good, just drive it.

Photo #3 with the two oil steaks above the Full mark is nothing to worry about, just one of the 'vagaries' that sometimes happens when dip-sticking.

You said: "...Also I may have mixed up my hot and cold readings."  Now that would explain things. :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Nowt wrong.

Put dip stick back in and just drive normally.

Check in a week then wekly thereafter.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
Ok thanks a lot guys and sorry for the confusion on my end ;)
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@DarraghR
Hello,  sorry ,  totally missed this thread.
Thanks for sensor update  .
How's the oil going ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
Hello :D The oil level is still sitting at the F or full level after 5 minutes after driving
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hello :D The oil level is still sitting at the F or full level after 5 minutes after driving
@DarraghR
 :goodjob: :goodjob2:

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
Back again  :D

So about 3 and a half months later the level is sitting in the middle so the oil is going somewhere.

It is due an oil change soon and probably same for the filter. Can a dirty filter cause the oil to burn? Still no sign of any leaks.

Also I can see in the manual that this type of oil should be used  -  API Service SL or SM, ACEA A3 or above
The last batch of oil that went in is  -  API SN, ACEA C3

So by the looks it is a much lower grade oil than what is recommended for my car.

The new oil I picked up today is API SN/CF, ACEA C2/C3 so will more than likely be bringing that back ...

• Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hello again,
So thats about 200ml in 3 months, not bad. Engines usually use a little. 
How many kms- roughly? Definitely change filter  :victory:

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
Did 2,300 mil or 3,700 km. But as previous people have mentioned should the car be using or burning oil at all?
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Another age old question.
Oil is to lubricate the system, sometimes some gets through all the bits that are supposed to stop it "disappearing ".
250 ml in 3700 km, roughly, 1 ml per 15km.
Do that oil & filter change, check "once a week or when filling tank"- sure it in the book ,,and keep driving  :victory:

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
Ok and finally what about the different types of oil. Based on the manual I should be returning the oil I bought and get a more higher standard 
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ok and finally what about the different types of oil. Based on the manual I should be returning the oil I bought and get a more higher standard

Sorry ,   :phone1:  That was before Brexit.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
According to 3 different motor factors the oil I bought is what they would usually provide. So I guess the manual isnt worth jack shit ;D
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
According to 3 different motor factors the oil I bought is what they would usually provide. So I guess the manual isnt worth jack shit ;D

:snow: :coolingoff: :workitout: :shakehands1:

Jack Shit (1987) said: "Any thread may reach biblical proportions" !

:sleeping:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal