i30 Owners Club

Coffs Harbour calling, 2017 PD Elite Diesel

Guest · 11 · 2111

guest12451
Hi All,

Have just a few days ago purchased a low mileage 2017 i30 PD (MY18) Diesel DCT, in the dark blue. Was a private sale via a QLD seller, first time driving both a Hyundai and diesel back from Brisbane CBD and was a sensory overload as I'm a bit Aspy and am coming from a 2004 Corolla. But was very impressed and it aligned with my expectations.

Live a tad outside Coffs Harbour, mid coast of NSW - car isn't registered yet so have been detailing (annoying that it seems every seller I buy from never bother to even clean car prior to me buying!) and need to read that crazy thick (nearly 1") user manual.....the poor old '04 Corolla's one was like a pamphlet in comparison.

Seems a lot of car in most ways - no gripes with it at all - alas I only found out at last minute the seller only had one Smart Key for it (I presume these were sold with 1 x Key Remote (flip key +buttons on fob) and 1 x Smart Key (pure 3 button fob)) ?
So just one of these:
:link: Google Image Result for https://www.mk3.com/thumbnail/crop/600/600/products/huandai/photo/6194.jpg

So my first project is trying to find the best value way to get atleast one more Smart Key and/or Key Remote.  I know I can go to dealer ($$$) or auto locksmith for clone but open to buying the EBD2 device or similar (which I think is $200-300) and doing.  Anyway thats part of why I'm here.

Have heard great things about this forum and have already found it the leading source of i30 info - so look forward to reading more of the excellent info shared by generous members.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
GDay Nikko,
 :i30:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Nikko,

You live in a great part of the world. We do lots of road trips in our i30 SR and only recently stayed 2 nights near Coff's Harbour and look forward to getting up that way again soon. Haven't driven a PD Diesel but they are a brilliant little motor (had a 2008 i30 diesel) so well done. Yes, they are delivered with two smart keys (wonder what happened to the spare!)

There are various ways to save on a replacement key. There are threads and helpful members that know the tricks to do it.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

guest12451
Much thanks to everyone for their kind words.

You live in a great part of the world. We do lots of road trips in our i30 SR and only recently stayed 2 nights near Coff's Harbour and look forward to getting up that way again soon
Thanks Dazzler, yes when we were considering where to move to (from SYD) it occurred why not go to to a place where we'd otherwise holiday/retreat. As with anywhere it is what you make of it - town isn't all that it seems, thankfully we're on an acre ~20mins drive out (hence the extra appeal of the diesel, even with the DPF).

Haven't driven a PD Diesel but they are a brilliant little motor (had a 2008 i30 diesel) so well done
Well I'm only 1 drive in them ahead of you - though it was a long one back from BNE's CBD on zero sleep from a hellish rushed trip up on the XPT the previous night at 1130pm.....honestly THAT is cruel and usual punishment.

Our family had a lot of small diesels growing up - all Peugeots - we're in a very hilly area now, 25km drive into town - so had thought the diesel might suit well. Got the usual generalising arguments back from folks i.e higher servicing costs, CRD disaster costs etc - and did flipflop back to petrol being better a few times.  But in the end was swayed by Hyundai both having a strong rep with diesel engines and a pretty well established engine in this one. The wife was very sus on it - but in other breaking news just in,'Grass is green!'

There are various ways to save on a replacement key. There are threads and helpful members that know the tricks to do it.
Oh look thats something that'd take a huge weight off my mind - I'm active on a bunch of other forums so know the commonsense stuff i.e search for existing posts, info rather than thinking I'm so special I need to be told again 1 on 1.  So as an old salt in these here parts, is there a best way you'd approach finding such info/members?

I've done a few searches but it seems to uncover too much info or stuff thats applicable to the older FD/GD's.  So any poke in the right direction (or kick up the pants) is welcomed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Post a topic asking for help with the key. If you don't get any result I'll do some searching for you... :cool:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

guest12451
Post a topic asking for help with the key. If you don't get any result I'll do some searching for you...
Dazzler, thats very kind of you - I'll do everything I can to AVOID taking you up on that - but its very nice to know helps there if I prove to be a silly bugger.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Post a topic asking for help with the key. If you don't get any result I'll do some searching for you...
Dazzler, thats very kind of you - I'll do everything I can to AVOID taking you up on that - but its very nice to know helps there if I prove to be a silly bugger.

No problems. There is so much info on here, a search can be a bit of a minefield. It depends on the time of the day whether I have the motivation to search without being asked..  :snigger: :-[

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
My '17 Elite (also dark blue with tan leather) came with two identical fobs, both with pull out keys. I would be asking a dealer if the second fob needs to be cancelled from the ECU, just in case there is some funny ulterior motive playing a part of losing a fob.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

guest12451
My '17 Elite (also dark blue with tan leather) came with two identical fobs, both with pull out keys. I would be asking a dealer if the second fob needs to be cancelled from the ECU, just in case there is some funny ulterior motive playing a part of losing a fob.
Hati, Cheers for the reply - yes funny you say that I only noticed yesterday that the smart key I have does have that hidden pull out cut key blade.  Bit of a less user friendly way to do it than the FD/GD's super simple swivel key design - but I assume they figured the vast majority of users would simply use the remote fob instead.

The manual states only 2 smart keys can be accepted/programmed to the car at any point and I think it's safe to assume that the previous owner didn't go to the trouble of getting the dealer/or similar to remove the lost key from the ECU - hence unless I go to the expense of doing this cloning the existing key is likely only way to resolve (though it was apparently the most cost effective anyway).

I'm actually located a long way (~600kms) from the previous seller so any dubious motivation to have 'lost ' the key is pretty unlikely - I'd no reason to suspect that, and he stated the key was actually lost by the previous owner to him (yes oddly a 33k kms car is on it's 3rd owner - was sold at 18mths with 7k on it, he kept it as a 'temp' car - he'd just bought a new BMW - selling to me at 2yrs with 33k on it).

So should be cool - but thanks - FWIW I know I'm not meant to discuss 'issues' in this thread - so only meant to reply to your kind assistance - but am trying to resolve this matter over in a new thread.

Cheers, Nick

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal