i30 Owners Club

GD Front windows died

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Well, both front windows died (GD).  One just inside the warranty period which was sorted without any sort of explanation as to what failed/was fixed. And then the other one about 12 months later after a weekend in the country with some driving on dirt roads and cattle grids.

I mention this since I wonder if something has come loose inside the door and its as simple as sorting out a loose connector. One window failing is bad luck. Both is a bit suspicious.

I'm yet to take it the dealer nearly 12 months later, since who uses the window anyway... and they wanted a couple of hundred bucks to look at it.

Anyone know what might be going on here and is it worth pulling apart myself to take a look?? I suck at removing interior trim so I'd want to be fairly confident there is a case for doping so before I get started.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:36:52 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Pretty sure there are how to videos for  hyundai door trims on you tube. Although most brands work the same. A couple of screws near the door handle then just some clips to carefully pop and then unhook the top from the window valley.

@tw2005 has done lots with FD windows but not sure if GD are the same?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Little Mick

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE NSW
GD windows are a pain. They made the window actuator mechanism attached and part of the door dust protector.
I had a similar issue with both front windows, $280 per door to be looked at so ripped it apart myself.
Eventually found the cable had fallen off the guiding drum, a large white pulley round as a coffee cup located on the other side of the window winding motor. 20mins stuffing around per door had it sorted.
It is a similar design to this 2013-16 Santa-Fe.

• Oct-2012 GD 6 speed manual Diesel 4 door hatch i30 Elite

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
You would have to explain with some more detail. FD is similar, whole inner panel is the window mech assembly just that it appears GD became plastic contruction on the panel and FD were steel.

Clips snapped in the FD that attach to the glass, likely similar failure points in the GD.

What we don't know is if this is mechanical or electrical failure. When it failed did the motor operate at all? Is the window jammed closed and can't be pushed down?

What was on the last repair invoice for parts? The inner assembly?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
You would have to explain with some more detail. FD is similar, whole inner panel is the window mech assembly just that it appears GD became plastic contruction on the panel and FD were steel.

Clips snapped in the FD that attach to the glass, likely similar failure points in the GD.

What we don't know is if this is mechanical or electrical failure. When it failed did the motor operate at all? Is the window jammed closed and can't be pushed down?

What was on the last repair invoice for parts? The inner assembly?

I'm almost certain mine is the cable or the clips and am considering taking the cover off to see if i can tell what the problem is or if i can raise it into position somehow and wedge it closed. Also I can't find a video for front driver's side door cover removal but everyone seems to be saying it should be similar to most others.

Is it worth taking the cover off if i dont plan to remove the whole regulator mount?

thanks

rooster
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If it does turn out to be the (carriage) clips, I can print these for the FD but I would need blueprints to check any difference in the GD:
:link: Hyundai i30 2009 Window Regulator Clip by geckoslayer - Thingiverse
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal