i30 Owners Club

Oil usage and worn tact chain

DKB · 7 · 5621

Offline DKB

• 1st Gear
Hi all experts!

I have a Hyundai I30 1.4 petrol (motor code G4FA) from 2007. I has done 140,000 km. I have experienced some strange issues with it, which I would like to have your inputs on…
I bought the car a couple of years ago (when it had done around 110,000 km). It has always been using oil but I am more uncertain if the usage has increased since it is not until recently I have started measuring it. I have measured it over the last 5,000 km and it has been using around 400 ml per 1,000 km. In my opinion, this seems a bit high. I found out it started using oil one day the oil pressure lamp turned on (!). Luckily, it went off just after again and I was able to top up with oil.

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly experienced new issues with a very rough running motor that could not idle. With the help of a friend who is a former mechanic we found out that, the timing chain had jumped about three teeth! When looking at the timing chain we could see that the tensioner was almost all the way out (if not all the way). The timing chain has been replaced and it is running good again.

Do any of you have any explanation to why the timing chain already needs replacing? It seems way too early and I have a hard time understanding it should have anything to do with the oil consumption since I think bearings would have given up before the timing chain…

Appreciate you input!

• I30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome DKB,

Nice clear post. Fingers crossed the brains trust will be able to help.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Can't help with oil consumption, seems like a weak point for the chains/tensioner. across other models with G4FA. Your mechanic saved you from an engine rebuild, others have had the valves smash into the pistons.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline DKB

• 1st Gear
Can't help with oil consumption, seems like a weak point for the chains/tensioner. across other models with G4FA. Your mechanic saved you from an engine rebuild, others have had the valves smash into the pistons.
Yeah, I am pretty happy and also a bit supriced that it did not wreck valves and pistons!

Do you have any documentation regarding the issues with G4FA motors? Sounds interresting...
  • I30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yeah, I am pretty happy and also a bit supriced that it did not wreck valves and pistons!

Do you have any documentation regarding the issues with G4FA motors? Sounds interresting...
No, just an observation having seen a couple of posts and with similar mileage which suggest a pattern of wear. I believe the Golfs have a similar issue with tensioners failing and the design is very similar.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline DKB

• 1st Gear

No, just an observation having seen a couple of posts and with similar mileage which suggest a pattern of wear. I believe the Golfs have a similar issue with tensioners failing and the design is very similar.
Thanks.

As mentioned the tensioner was almost all the way out - maybe stuck at one of the last step out of the about total ten steps the tensioner has. When comparing the two chains it was visible that the old chain was longer than the new one. Maybe about half to one chain pitch.
  • I30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Taking a punt that you live in Denmark ?????

We had one Scando member with the 1.4L motor. Had the same issue. 1.6L go for ever. Also some VWs have problems if jump starting or rolling backwards when engine not running, therefore tensioner receives no oil pressure.
 It comes down to the maker of the chains,--independent to  HY or VW etc. Some fail early. The replacement,( different maker) may outlive the car.

You are using too much oil.
Check for leaks.
Smoke at idle or normal acceleration = piston rings.
Get up to 80kph, foot off accelerator and brake and roll down to 40kph. The accelerate hard. Smoke out the back indicates bad valve stem seals.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal