i30 Owners Club

PD high beam(HB3's) upgrade query

Guest · 16 · 3487

guest12451
Folks

Leaning towards wanting to upgrade/change the HB3 high beam bulbs that are in my 2017 PD. Firstly, they're pretty poor - so thinking replacing the halogen bulbs in them with one of the cheapo-ish LED ones. We live rural, my wife does a lot of night drives home in winter and well I think the high beams aren't up to the task .

I had been considering adding a LED light bar - as there's a superb thread in here where a member mounted one behind the grille - but I thought as this is much simpler I'd try it first and then go to the LED bar if it didn't prove adequate.

I know these are technically illegal (as non-ADR approved) - but IMHO you run the main risk with unapproved LEDs in your low beams (where they're very clearly far more powerful than they should be and usually have messy light spill and are too white, thus easy to spot) - you'll be dipping your high beams anyway (which you can't do with your lowbeams), so far less likely you'll draw attention to yourself.  Plus I'd be looking for something looking more normal e.g 4300K-5000K colour range. 

On a sidenote - I have to say I find it really stupid that I could potentially get in trouble for putting LED bulbs in my high beams and yet I can mount a massive LED light bar or spotlights on my car and apparently use those completely legall!   Haha what is the difference really between them in terms of why one isn't acceptable yet the other is fine?

I don't know if anyone has found any cheapies they were reasonably happy with?

Also wondering if the PD needs CANBUS capable LEDs for it's high beams? I am suspecting yes.

The low beams seem okay enough for now and so I don't see a huge benefit in upgrade/changing those.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

guest12451
Ok, just incase anyone else walks this path - after DYOR it seems that LED bulbs into reflector headlight housings is a big no-no. The PD has projector low beams but reflector high beams.  LED bulbs in those tend to not work very well as unlike halogens, which evenly emit their light 360degrees - an LED bulb will have emitters on only either side of them.  So could you use them, yes but it might not work very well at all as the light pattern that comes out might be unusable i.e only lighting the sides of the road and not the middle or just be a mess.

Seems the safest path is to use upgraded halogens e.g Osram Nightbreakers - though there is some question over how much better they are than the stock Sylvania ones inthe PB - as Osram's 150% etc  better claims are often against questionable base numbers. Very short lifespan on these too.

So back to the drawing board as really can't fit a lightbar as the adaptive cruise control module is mounted there and you can't put one on any numberplate ones as that'd be in the road of that.  We'll see anyway. :-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ok, just incase anyone else walks this path - after DYOR it seems that LED bulbs into reflector headlight housings is a big no-no. The PD has projector low beams but reflector high beams.  LED bulbs in those tend to not work very well as unlike halogens, which evenly emit their light 360degrees - an LED bulb will have emitters on only either side of them.  So could you use them, yes but it might not work very well at all as the light pattern that comes out might be unusable i.e only lighting the sides of the road and not the middle or just be a mess.

Seems the safest path is to use upgraded halogens e.g Osram Nightbreakers - though there is some question over how much better they are than the stock Sylvania ones inthe PB - as Osram's 150% etc  better claims are often against questionable base numbers. Very short lifespan on these too.

So back to the drawing board as really can't fit a lightbar as the adaptive cruise control module is mounted there and you can't put one on any numberplate ones as that'd be in the road of that.  We'll see anyway. :-)

I think there may be some LED globes which are suitable (mentioned somewhere on here!)  :crazy1:

I tried to find a thread the other day where there was a big discussion about these and the better Halogen options. But couldn't seem to narrow the search down.

I used some upgraded halogens like nightbreakers or philips (can't remember what without pulling them out or finding the thread) I am aware they have maybe half the life span but certainly made the adequate lights in my SR excellent and I got a full set of 4 (high and low beams) for only around $80 delivered I think. They have lasted over 12 month I reckon and hopefully will last another 3 weeks or so until my new car arrives.  :evil:

I was going to investigate LED's for longevity but now she's traded and my new car has LED as OEM there is obviously no point.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Apparently a mate of a mate has tried these in his Honda and he's raving about them! $35 delivered for a set!

:link: Nighteye 9005 HB3 LED Headlight Light Bulbs Replace Lamp White 72W 9000LM/Set AU | eBay

Edit: Strange they are HB3 but when I put in your exact model Nikko it says not compatible!  :Pout:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This might be some help re options... My mate (a non member!) found it for me. I didn't go back far enough!

:link: 2017 PD i30 SR head light bulbs!?

guest12451
Apparently a mate of a mate has tried these in his Honda and he's raving about them! $35 delivered for a set!

:link: Nighteye 9005 HB3 LED Headlight Light Bulbs Replace Lamp White 72W 9000LM/Set AU | eBay

Edit: Strange they are HB3 but when I put in your exact model Nikko it says not compatible!  :Pout:
Hi Darren,
Thank you - I appreciate the effort - FWIW do you know what Honda he has &/or if he runs in reflector or projector fitting?  And as his high or low beams? Worth a shot at such a low price, but I suspect in the reflector fitting it might look a mess and while bring in some parts it'll be very dark in others. The info online about LEDs in reflectors is very consistant in saying 'just don't' - but if he's using in something similar maybe it's worth a shot.

I think those auto- compatibility wizards are often pretty flawed, a HB3 fitting is a HB3 and so would fit - it's just a matter of if they'd work well or otherwise.

This might be some help re options... My mate (a non member!) found it for me. I didn't go back far enough!

:link: 2017 PD i30 SR head light bulbs!?

Much thanks again for your legwork on this but I had been a good little newbie and tracked this thread down myself - a lil different as it was on low beams, which are in a projector fitting, which works well with quality LEDs - bu tit was handy to read none the less.

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black
actually i use LEDs in my 2017 PD for highbeams, and they are plenty bright and projects far although the LED diodes are only on the left and right of the bulb.

H1s on my PD from europe though, not HB3s.

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I changed mine too the Phillips Diamond Vision. They are a lot brighter.  I would probably go the White Vision bulbs next or the ones Craigb recommended  Narva Sapphire Plus 50. I didn't go the nightbreakers because of the reduced lifespan of the bulbs. I know you are after LED bulbs and these aren't LED but they are a straight swap and work great
  • 2018 I30 Active

guest12451
actually i use LEDs in my 2017 PD for highbeams, and they are plenty bright and projects far although the LED diodes are only on the left and right of the bulb.
Just curious are the housings for the high beams reflector or projector?  Funny how they fit different bulb type - you'd think standardising such a bit would be logical.

I assume you retro-fit them , they didn't come factory fitted?

I know you are after LED bulbs and these aren't LED but they are a straight swap and work great
Ah well I was just initially after LEDs, but as mentioned it seems there's very poor feedback on putting LEDs into reflector housings, so I tend to think it's a questionable move.

guest12451
Found this superb website in hunting for info on different bulbs - I think pretty clearly the bulb makers often take liberties in rating how well their products work e.g +150% light - so this website is excellent as it compares both in projector and reflector housings most of the notable halogen bulbs on the market.
Bulb Facts Comparison Chart

They've also got some great comparisons on LEDs - and apparently certain models are ok in reflector housings, so nothing like inconsistent info - anyway is a handy site to review.

FWIW I believe the i30's have the basic Sylvania bulbs in their HBs, Biolight's are their LBs, my PD does anyway (H7 for LB and 9005/HB3 for HB) - interesting how many of the 'upgrade' bulbs that are either only very marginally superior or sometimes even go backwards!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great find Nikko. Obviously we don't know if they have any affiliations or vested interests but I'll save a link to that site as a sticky in the appropriate section (with a rider)

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

Just curious are the housings for the high beams reflector or projector?  Funny how they fit different bulb type - you'd think standardising such a bit would be logical.

I assume you retro-fit them , they didn't come factory fitted?

I know you are after LED bulbs and these aren't LED but they are a straight swap and work great

yes i retrofitted them, came with factory halogens, i swapped for LEDs, and apologies i remembered wrongly, my highbeams are H7s, not H1s. H1 was for my previous Kia forte cerato.

the US, Korean, Czech cars all come with different bulb types from what i see in the manuals haha.... so i guess there is localisation as play as well.
Ah well I was just initially after LEDs, but as mentioned it seems there's very poor feedback on putting LEDs into reflector housings, so I tend to think it's a questionable move.

guest12451
Look at you reaping the kudos from my hard grafted find over in a fancy new sticky. ;-)

Well anyone could fudge results but FWIW they do say this regarding their testing:
All tests are:

[UNBIASED and true. We do not allow paid sponsors or endorsements
performed in a 0 lumens environment (pitch black)
 tested in various headlight, foglight, etc. housings, and will vary depending on bulb type
verified peak brightness after specific warm-up times, as well as ambient brightness for certain bulbs types where it is important
 taken using genuine and brand new products to ensure the most accurate results

High quality test equipment is used to ensure the most accurate and fair measurement possible. OE/factory equipment is utilized. We keep our test details updated and are subject to change (as we continue to enhance our processes). Please see below for all specifics.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Look at you reaping the kudos from my hard grafted find over in a fancy new sticky. ;-)

Well anyone could fudge results but FWIW they do say this regarding their testing:
All tests are:

[UNBIASED and true. We do not allow paid sponsors or endorsements
performed in a 0 lumens environment (pitch black)
 tested in various headlight, foglight, etc. housings, and will vary depending on bulb type
verified peak brightness after specific warm-up times, as well as ambient brightness for certain bulbs types where it is important
 taken using genuine and brand new products to ensure the most accurate results

High quality test equipment is used to ensure the most accurate and fair measurement possible. OE/factory equipment is utilized. We keep our test details updated and are subject to change (as we continue to enhance our processes). Please see below for all specifics.

I assume that was a tongue in cheek comment... I actually tagged you and acknowledged you once someone thanked me before I read this!

I did the original sticky in a hurry before going out to an appointment this morning so I wouldn't forget. :cool:

guest12451
I assume that was a tongue in cheek comment... I actually tagged you and acknowledged you once someone thanked me before I read this!

I did the original sticky in a hurry before going out to an appointment this morning so I wouldn't forget
C'mon Darren, I put a wink emoji right after it so you'd be certain I was just taking the mickey out of you  -  ;-)  Haha don't go all old fella on me just yet.

I'm the type of person that if I'm having a dig it's not subtle at all - so I am sure you'll never need to know but rest assured the aforementioned comment was clearly me just making a playful dig at you and nothing more - thats why I put ;-)  straight after it. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I did the original sticky in a hurry before going out to an appointment this morning so I wouldn't forget
C'mon Darren, I put a wink emoji right after it so you'd be certain I was just taking the mickey out of you  -  ;-)  Haha don't go all old fella on me just yet.

I'm the type of person that if I'm having a dig it's not subtle at all - so I am sure you'll never need to know but rest assured the aforementioned comment was clearly me just making a playful dig at you and nothing more - thats why I put ;-)  straight after it.

It's all good (except that you keep calling me Darren  :evil: ) I'm actually a Darryl although 99% call me Dazz  :D :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal