i30 Owners Club

Steering bush chat with my mechanic

Paolo5 · 5 · 1739

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I had an interesting chat with my local mechanic this morning.
He asked if my i30 had a knock in the steering? I said "No...are you talking about a chewed steering bush?"

(I had asked him a couple of years ago and he wasn't aware of the problem then.)

He went on to say that he has replaced this bush in about 10 Hyundais now.

What was most interesting is that he said he does them in about an hour now with minimal dismantling and removal.

He also said that he was told by a Hyundai mechanic that the bush gets chewed out due to driving technique...namely putting the steering wheel onto full lock and keeping on increasing the pressure whilst turning.

This might explain why (from my reading threads here) that some vehicles have done enormous kms without changing the bush...and others have done the bush less than 100K.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I had an interesting chat with my local mechanic this morning.
He asked if my i30 had a knock in the steering? I said "No...are you talking about a chewed steering bush?"

(I had asked him a couple of years ago and he wasn't aware of the problem then.)

He went on to say that he has replaced this bush in about 10 Hyundais now.

What was most interesting is that he said he does them in about an hour now with minimal dismantling and removal.

He also said that he was told by a Hyundai mechanic that the bush gets chewed out due to driving technique...namely putting the steering wheel onto full lock and keeping on increasing the pressure whilst turning.

This might explain why (from my reading threads here) that some vehicles have done enormous kms without changing the bush...and others have done the bush less than 100K.
In my opinion they simply degrade and go soft. I just had to swap out a complete unit as the Mrs car kept randomly faulting and losing EPS at which point she said she could barely steer. Anyway, almost left the existing bush in but did the righty and put a fresh one in. The bush was intact but very spongy, would have been not long and it would have fallen apart.
Overloading it would not help but there's a distinct difference between the old and new in rigidity. Also I always see a bit of grease escape from the column into this area and wonder if there is also a chemical reaction with the bush.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Anyone who's had a bit to do with power steering (hydraulic type) over the years would be unlikely to hold the steering on full lock for any length of time..
Guaranteed to screw the seals.
So that's definitely not why my bush chewed out in about 80,000 Kim's.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty:

Hyundai mechanics, within and outside this forum, never resolved the failed bush problem.
They simply continued to screw their clients for $1500 to $2000+ for a column change.
It was independents who seriously investigated and found the ($5 bush) deterioration that tw2005 describes.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty: :spitty:

Hyundai mechanics, within and outside this forum, never resolved the failed bush problem.
They simply continued to screw their clients for $1500 to $2000+ for a column change.
It was independents who seriously investigated and found the ($5 bush) deterioration that tw2005 describes.

AND, The US market were aware of it back in Sep 2008 with a TSB outlining the his coupler and the replacement of it  on the Elantra. The TSB now covers Sonata, Elantra, Veloster, Santa Fe

So we were very slow to catch on it appears but then who knows if the Europe market released a similar TSB. Does not say much for the dealerships or tech reporting in general because it's only been recent years they've started replacing the bush instead of quoting whole assemblies .

I don't think this part came up in the parts catalog either. Also interesting that for FD if the controller failed you had to get the whole column. But with GD they made that part a replaceable item too
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal