i30 Owners Club

2018 PD Fastback misfires ?

Nico30 · 21 · 8292

Offline Nico30

• 1st Gear

• fr France
Hello everybody,

I'm a proud owner or a 2018 i30 Fastback. I really love this car, but I've got a ton of issues.
At 12.000kms, the car had misfires. One ignition coil changed, and the problem is gone.

But at 14.000km/s, after a long trip, same problem, misfires. The car can reach high speeds (more than 150km/h), but it's very difficult to accelerate when going uphill. No dashboard lights.

After a diagnostic from Hyundai, it appear that 2 spark plugs are "burned" (the ceramic part outside of the cylinder have a dark mark.).

Spark plugs and ignition coils changed, but the problem persist.

At ~3000 rpms, when the engine is running hot, the car start to run badly like misfires.

I looked at the oil level and it's very high (2cms after the MAX level), is it the issue ?

Anyone have ideas ?

Thanks a lot.

Nicolas

• 2018 PD FASTBACK, Petrol 1.4 T-GDi, Auto, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wlcome01: Nicolas. Sorry to hear this. Not nice with a near new car.

Two centimetres past the max mark is a fair bit.  Certainly far from ideal but hard to know if it could have caused these issues. I wouldn't think so.

Are they 10,000 service intervals on this model or 15,000? In other words has your car had an oil change since initial delivery?

Is this the first time you've checked the oil. Have you spoken to Hyundai about the oil level.  Does the oil look normal?

Just brainstorming a bit. I'm no mechanic...  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Nico30

• 1st Gear

• fr France
Hi Dazzler,

Oil changed at ~13000km, one month before the problems happened. The oil looks normal, not black.

I'm Lost...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting,  let's see what others have to say.. (not much so far)  :confused:

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

I looked at the oil level and it's very high (2cms after the MAX level), is it the issue ?

Like Dazzler, I'm no mechanic but I would not have first thought that the oil level was the problem.

Out of interest, when you looked at the oil level, was that [almost] immediately after you turned the engine off and was the car on reasonably level ground?  If so, what does the oil level read when the engine is cold and the car is on level ground.

Re your 2cms above the Max level.  If you didn't know, oil is subject to thermal expansion when hot...more hotter, more expansion...due to the Co-efficient of Friction for Fluids (or whatever).  For example, if a car's sump holds 5 litres (cold), when the oil temps reach say, 85C the oil expands to 5.33 litres...if I've understood the formula correctly. 

I have seen club racers who had filled their sump to the Full mark go out for some hard laps and their oil level has afterwards read say, 1cm above Full.  But, even after a spirited drive around the suburbs, a "hot" oil level 2cms above the Max is not good imo and I would be hoping that most of that was from overfilling at your last oil change.   

You mentioned that the "oil looks normal, not black" which suggests that the oil in the sump has not been contaminated with condensation or engine coolant, which would raise the "oil" level on the dipstick.  At least that's good.

Sorry I cannot help you with your immediate problem but some of the above may be of general interest.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:32:03 by TerryT »
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Nico30

• 1st Gear

• fr France
The oil level was read when the engine is cold, in a flat surface.

It may be more than 2cms as the oil level is higher than the plastic indicator.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

So, the oil was checked with the engine cold and car level, and the oil looks normal in colour and, presumably, consistency?  To my mind, that rules out any increase in oil sump volume due to thermal expansion, coolant leak, fuel blow-by etc as being the cause of your oil level 'problem'. 

Again, I can only think it is from a big overfill at your last oil change.  I'm assuming the last oil change at 13,000km was done at a dealership/workshop.  Did their invoice perhaps itemise how much oil was used?  A long shot I know, but it's all I've got,  sorry.

In the meantime, I hope our more knowledgeable and experienced technical members here will get on-board and help you with your primary problem (misfires, power loss); that's out of my league.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Bonjour Nico,

I am assuming that the 2cm oil rise is from normal level ( checked at last oil change) to the current excess amount.

The other symptoms you mention lead me to guess that you have petrol mixing with the oil.

a ton of issues.

misfires. One ignition coil changed, and the problem is gone.

Later, same problem, misfires.

very difficult to accelerate when going uphill.

2 spark plugs are "burned" .

Spark plugs and ignition coils changed, but the problem persist.

Given all of the above I would be very suspicious of your injectors or associated software.
The motor is being flooded with fuel.
Injector failure has plagued the PD i30, ( mainly because of Hyundai and its dealer's ham-fisted public relations)

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ NZ, I like your explanation, makes sense.  I should've waited for Nicolas to reply to my comment about the consistency of his oil before discounting a fuel issue (though I was thinking worn rings unlikely on a 2018 model...and not from faulty fuel injection).

@ NZ, purely for my own education, I would appreciate your comments (or anyone else's who wants to join in) on the following: 

I thought Nicolas should've got at least a small whiff of a petrol smell from the sump through the dipstick tube when he checked the oil level— and possibly a whiff from the dipstick itself—if the dilution was bad.  And, an oil level at 2+ cms above Max line on a cold engine sounds bad to me. 

I can remember years ago smelling petrol in the oil dropped out of a tired old engine...but that was a pan-full, so maybe different.

Also, shouldn't Nicolas' exhaust have be blowing some white(ish) smoke?

Cheers,

TT 

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks  :goodjob2:

I have seen this rise from petrol in oil before, not always about odour but a lighted match usually gives an indication. :twisted: :twisted:

There are a lot of symptoms here ; initially, common sense dictates that they are connected.

Thats all we have to play with from this side of the world.  WE await.  :cool: Cheers
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Nico30

• 1st Gear

• fr France
I didn't performed a oil level check after the oil change. So I don't know if the oil is mixed with fuel. I don't know if the oil smells like oil, or fuel...

Yesterday, I took my car and ran a few kilometers. No issues when accelerating, but I had misfires at ~120km/h in Sport mode.

Except from those misfires at high speeds, the car can accelerate very quickly to 70km/h (my girlfriend almost puked...).

But today, I had misfires after accelerating to ~70km/h while exiting a busy highway (very slow trafic, 20km/h).

I will leave my car at my Hyundai workshop, but they are sceptical about my issues...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Oil and petrol mixes and dilutes the oil.  We used to have that happening with cars with mechanical fuel pumps attached to the engine block.

It will be more flammable than oil only. You can test that. :twisted:

" they are sceptical about my issues..."   ah so French !    :snigger:  Our dealers just say 'cannot replicate'. :head_butt:

Both terms equate to incompetence and or laziness.
 Good luck, stay in touch.  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid: Thanks for your input on this one Gary.

So frustrating and disappointing in a near new car. Certainly takes the shine off the experience. I only took delivery of a new car on Monday.

Like Gary says. No fault found is common even when there are serious things amiss.

Keep at them. Good luck!  :Good_luck:

Offline Nico30

• 1st Gear

• fr France
Hi guys,

Update on my issue.
I took my car to the Hyundai workshop, they looked at the oil, and said that the level is good.
They also said that if I still had misfires, it may be the catalytic converter that needs to be purged.
They said that I can go to the highway and run my car at high rpms (3500-4500).

I ran a few hours at ~4000 rpms, and I tried to cause misfires.

It seems that I have many misfires, when quickly accelerating to 110 - 140 km/s, at about 3200-3800 rpms only.

After reaching 4000 rpms, no issues.

At 130 km/h, on 5th gear, sport mode, I can accelerate and reach high speeds without issues.

Any ideas ? A timing issue ? Catalytic converter issue ? Injectors ? Software ?

Thanks a lot.

Nicolas.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The story seems to change here. Why is the oil level suddenly ok?

Lets put it down to someone's brain fade and move on.  :head_butt:

Best guess from the South is timing or air or fuel starvation = software.

At a mere 14,000km I cannot see why the cat needs to be purged. Anyway, it seems you have previously been running the car hard.

Get HY to plug in their diagnostic  scanner and take the car for a run through the 3000 rpm range.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The story seems to change here. Why is the oil level suddenly ok?

Lets put it down to someone's brain fade and move on.  :head_butt:

Best guess from the South is timing or air or fuel starvation = software.

At a mere 14,000km I cannot see why the cat needs to be purged. Anyway, it seems you have previously been running the car hard.

Get HY to plug in their diagnostic  scanner and take the car for a run through the 3000 rpm range.

Maybe it was my brain fade....re "cat needs to be purged".
@Nico30

Is your car fitted with a GPF?  (Gasoline Particulate Filter)?

I have seen similar reports of a rise in oil level on some diesel powered cars. This is because they are fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and extra fuel is injected toward the exhaust when a purge/burn off is required.
 However after checking that you had a petrol motor, I discounted this as a reason for your rise.

These filters have not been a priority on Australian cars; so here I rely upon past discussions with European members.

However, a Google search reveals that Peugeot in France has fitted cars with GPF . The i30N appears to also have it, or is getting it.

If you are doing a lot of city driving the timed purges do not occur, therefore, It seems the extra fuel ends up in the oil.

@Dazzler

@TerryT

Offline Nico30

• 1st Gear

• fr France
Hi nzenigma !

Yea, I heard about GPF in France. However I don't know if my car has one. Any ideas to see if I have one ?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@nzenigma That's above my pay scale  :snigger:

But good thinking.  It is certainly a possibility.  I have heard about them being gradually introduced particularly in Europe but hadn't specifically heard any reference to Hyundai or the i30.  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi nzenigma !

Yea, I heard about GPF in France. However I don't know if my car has one. Any ideas to see if I have one ?

Problem at this end is we thankfully dont have them.

Best option is to ask your Hyundai mechanic what he was talking about.

I have never heard of the need to 'purge' a catalytic converter. A cat and GPF (or DPF) have a different design and function.

As said, the rise in oil level is common to a DPF.

I watch with interest. Cheers.

Offline komos

• 1st Gear

• gr Greece
      athens
witch petrol engine has your i30 ?
1.0 or 1.4 turbo ?
1.4 no turbo
i believe you have auto gearbox ?
what kind of petrol do you use ? (rons)
does the problem remains when using 100ron gas ?
  • hyundai i 30 fastback

Offline Nico30

• 1st Gear

• fr France
Hi !

The engine is a 1.4 Turbo with an automatic gearbox.
In France we have E5 98 RON. The problem seems random though, when I accelerate sometimes it misfires, sometimes not...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal