i30 Owners Club

i30 Brake problem - front right caliper?

steeko · 14 · 5511

Offline steeko

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Highland
Hi folks,

I've had a problem with the front right brake for quite some time, it is intermittent, but recently it's happening more often. The wheel gets red hot, with a grinding noise. I suspect it's a caliper problem but just wondered if anyone else has had this? I think it is an issue on these cars - have already had to replace the rear calipers. I have a 2013 1.4 Petrol.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen
  • 2013 i30 1.4

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi folks,

I've had a problem with the front right brake for quite some time, it is intermittent, but recently it's happening more often. The wheel gets red hot, with a grinding noise. I suspect it's a caliper problem but just wondered if anyone else has had this? I think it is an issue on these cars - have already had to replace the rear calipers. I have a 2013 1.4 Petrol.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen
Have you run out of brake pads? Seized Caliper slide pins?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Most importantly,  don't keep driving it like that.
Whatever is sticking and causing the overheating will eventually lead  to brake failure.
Does the car pull when you brake while this is happening?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Seems to be much more of a problem in Europe with your salted roads. Very few brake issues reported on here from Australia where salting isn't necessary.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline steeko

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Highland

[/quote]Have you run out of brake pads? Seized Caliper slide pins?
[/quote]

Hi there,

Thanks for replying, the pads are fine but not sure about the slide pins, will get it checked out! Ty
  • 2013 i30 1.4

Offline steeko

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Highland
Most importantly,  don't keep driving it like that.
Whatever is sticking and causing the overheating will eventually lead  to brake failure.
Does the car pull when you brake while this is happening?

Thanks for the message, the car doesn't pull, the wheel gets hot and then drives fine when it cools and can be perfect for a week or so.
  • 2013 i30 1.4

Offline steeko

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Highland
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

If moving to Australia is the fix - I'd be fine with that :)

Seems to much more of a problem in Europe with your salted roads. Very few brake issues reported on here from Australia where salting isn't necessary.  :cool:
  • 2013 i30 1.4

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have you run out of brake pads? Seized Caliper slide pins?

Hi there,

Thanks for replying, the pads are fine but not sure about the slide pins, will get it checked out! Ty

The caliper needs to be able to free float so it can self adjust

:link: HOW TO: Brake service - Glide pins and cleaning
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 17:01:29 by The Gonz »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Cutting through all the above haze... no !!!  the problem is Boris's roads.

In Australia, GD brakes do not give trouble.

The UK salting of roads caused the calibers to bind up. Service them regularly.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I find specs help clear the haze.

Offline steeko

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Highland

I agree that salting could well be the problem - however this is the only car I've owned that has had caliper issues, and also know of someone who had serious caliper problems on her i30 when it was brand new.
  • 2013 i30 1.4

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I've had this problem on 2011 FD, front and rear calipers, and it's the glide pins that seize up due to corrosion. I replaced them with parts from Frentech UK. They include a sachet of special grease to lubricate the pins. It can be a real pain to extract a badly corroded pin from the caliper body. When it is out, try and scrape out as much of the rust from the hole as possible. They're not expensive, especially when the consequences of having them stick is premature wear of pads and discs, and if the caliper overheats it could damage the seals, leading to loss of braking effort.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I agree that salting could well be the problem - however this is the only car I've owned that has had caliper issues, and also know of someone who had serious caliper problems on her i30 when it was brand new.

Don't think its endemic or you'd see the evidence here.  Avoid jet washing the calipers as that can dislodge the rubber caps on the glide bolts and grease them every 24 months or so, just like a dealer WOULDNT do during a service. When I replaced the pads on my PD after 4 years the grease on the glide bolts was no longer effective.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Don't think its endemic or you'd see the evidence here.  Avoid jet washing the calipers as that can dislodge the rubber caps on the glide bolts and grease them every 24 months or so, just like a dealer WOULDNT do during a service. When I replaced the pads on my FD after 4 years the grease on the glide bolts was no longer effective.

Fixed it for you...  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal