i30 Owners Club

Car Window Trim(?) Damaged

929349 · 12 · 2487

Offline 929349

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Recently had my driver's window smashed and there was some damage done to the plastic around it. Trying to figure out what it's called and if it's covered by my window glass claim.
Otherwise, does anyone have info. on:
  • How I can find and install a new one?
  • Fix the damage?
  • Approx. how much it would cost to pay someone to do it?

• 2017 Elantra AD Sedan, Petrol 2.0L, Auto, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The torn black plastic on the window frame is just black wrap/contact which you'll see folded over the back edge of the door when opened.

Looks like the rubber window trim also need replacing.

Offline 929349

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Yeah the rubber is definitely covered by my insurance so that's no issue.
Any idea how I can repair the plastic wrap?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ask a panel & paint shop to order the exact wrap/contact for you, insurance should cover that also so you shouldn't have to track it down yourself.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Ask a panel & paint shop to order the exact wrap/contact for you, insurance should cover that also so you shouldn't have to track it down yourself.

Black Vinyl part can be ordered from dealer too ($$)

Offline 929349

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Sorry, to clarify, I'm only using the window repair excess which only covers:

"When your car’s windscreen, sunroof or window glass is broken in an incident, we will, at our option, either replace or repair the broken glass (including tinted glass, window seals and mouldings)."

Will the black wrap still be covered? I've been getting mixed answers from the glass shop and RAC so I'm just trying to make sure I understand what exactly is damaged.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Okay,  insurance co is paying, so contact them,  in person preferably and write it down and the persons name. If on phone- "calls are recorded for training bullshit etc", again state name, policy number and get exact details on file and  reference number. Hopefully all is good as all of part of damage same instance.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

86391G3000

about $4 USD + freight from Korea
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Our tw's pretty quick with the vital info. :victory:
Good luck with the insurance claim. It sounds like it's all covered. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline 929349

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA

86391G3000

Oh great, how exactly do I order from here?

Okay,  insurance co is paying, so contact them,  in person preferably and write it down and the persons name. If on phone- "calls are recorded for training bullshit etc", again state name, policy number and get exact details on file and  reference number. Hopefully all is good as all of part of damage same instance.
As far as I know, only the rubber is covered. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the term "window moulding" means, and whether the black vinyl wrap is part of that. Can anyone clarify?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

86391G3000

Oh great, how exactly do I order from here?

As far as I know, only the rubber is covered. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the term "window moulding" means, and whether the black vinyl wrap is part of that. Can anyone clarify?
I would first price it from  local dealer, it may be priced ok.

I would also see if you can get the part number and confirm I have the right one.

Then in this instance you will need to get a price from Koraps including freight as it's not stocked.

Then decide.

Your insurance company should be able to tell you the definition of "window moulding" it may even be defined in their PDS.

I'm thinking the decal is not a moulding, it would be viewed as part of the door and and being similar to a painted section.

The rubber channel  I'd expect would be replaced

:link: Auto Part Item View : 86391G3000 (86391-G3000) for HYUNDAI / KIA
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline 929349

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
That's really helpful, thanks. I'll speak to my insurance again on Monday to clarify.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal