i30 Owners Club

Service interval confusion

Downham · 10 · 2334

Offline Downham

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Uk
My family has an i30 and i30 tourer both 2017 1.6 diesels. Dealership has one at service every 20k miles or annually whichever is sooner, and the other is just every 20k miles plus free annual checkover. The tourer has just had it's  40k miles service, and in 2 years just clicked over 30k miles. A reason for buying a Hyundai was economy of driving, but a full service every year seems excessive. I  used to drives Skoda and 20k miles was the rule.
  • I30 tourer diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Comment from Australia. We have been informed by members that HY service in Britain is excellent.   :undecided:

Here, service intervals are 15,000 km ( 9300 miles)

Longevity of the Hyundai Diesel  IS your "economy of driving".

From my  Australian context , what is the problem with paying for some extra servicing  so that you can achieve 500,000 miles.... plus?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Downham

We are often amazed over here in OZ at your long service intervals over there. My wife only does 6 or 7 thousand kms a year in our 2nd car. She has had two i30 wagons both with 15,000 or 12 month servicing whichever comes first. I'm tight, but can't really see an issue with having her car serviced every 12 months.

My Turbo i30 SR which I just traded was every 10,000 kms or 12 months whichever came 1st. Because I did 30,000 kilometres per year for the 2 years I owned it I ended up doing 6 services (fortunately the 1st 2 were free) but still a bit steep.  :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Our  16-GD  was 15k km or annually.   :goodjob: 15k km was up in first 6 months,  serviced &all good 👍. By the first year , 25k km was on it.  Got it serviced again, picked up the Road Assist as well.  Sold it earlier this year and were 1 service in front.
No service - good chance no warranty, better over serviced than under serviced.
Our Santa is almost due for 30k km, 17months old. Will be getting diesel filter changed, (not due till 60k km but I want it done ) Dealer wants additional $330 to that and cabin filter,  in discussion as 60k km will cost only $200 additional.

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I  used to drives Skoda and 20k miles was the rule.

Surely it was every 20K or 2 years which ever comes sooner. a quick google confirms that, and only recommended for cars that don't just do lots of short journeys.

I think all Hyundai's have a time limit too.....

Offline Downham

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Uk
Thank you for your reply, my main concern is that there seems to be two different schedules for almost identical cars and  just wanted to understand why?
  • I30 tourer diesel

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I don't think there will be. What do both service log books say for interval?

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The service book for my 2016 diesel states 2-years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. There is also an intermediate service between services, but this is just an oil and filter change. I do this myself. Based on the mileage I've done so far, my next service should be about 15 months after the last one. However, it doesn't stop my local Hyundai dealer bombarding me with texts inviting me to book it in for a service.

What I'm not sure about is the annual health check. Normally it's done when it goes in for a service, but does it matter if that's over a year? I don't want to take the car in for a health check and then take it back 3 months later for a service, nor do I want a service done before time just to coincide with a health check.

The schedule for my previous 2011 i30 was 20,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, even though it's the same engine. I think long service intervals in UK are driven by trying to please company car buyers on 3 to 4 year leases. All they care about is bringing down the cost of servicing during the lease. After that, they don't care about costs for subsequent owners arising from skimping on servicing in the early years.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Whats the paint peforation check say in your book - I dont recall but I suspect that's every 12 months. Presumably on a 2016 car you get the free breakdown cover without 12 monthly servicing....?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thank you for your reply, my main concern is that there seems to be two different schedules

Actually there are three. ...= DIY   :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal