i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 2008 CRDi - Wanting to buy but concerns about health.

sngrit · 4 · 1606

Offline sngrit

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi all!

This is my first post, so please forgive me if I am breaking any forum rules. Today I test drove a 2008 i30 CRDi. To be frank, I loved the car. The Diesel engine offered the lower end torque I love and it handled beautifully. My only concerns are regarding Diesel engines themselves.

I have never owned a Diesel car as I had always been told they were bad for health. This fear was recently alleviated though when I saw how advanced modern DPF's are. However, just as Im about to commit to buying this car, I realise the 2008 i30 doesn't have a filter?

I guess my question comes down to this, are the health concerns about Diesel cars overstated? Am I exposing myself and my family to more toxins by owning this car, or is the concern more of a general one with large amounts of diesel cars on the roads in the cities? (basically am I ok providing Im inside the car and not outside  :lol: )

Also does anyone know if I can buy and install a DPF aftermarket? Thanks alot!!!

Snag

EDIT: one last thing. I noticed the exhaust smelled quite a bit whilst test driving the car, is this normal for the deisel model?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:40:53 by sngrit »
  • i30 2008 Diesel

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
All good questions snag.
There are plenty of diesel aficionados on here and I'm sure they'll give you the answers you need.

Meanwhile, welcome.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Snag,

To be honest, our 1st and only ever diesel was a 2008 Manual i30 CRDi which we bought new and loved. We did something like 70,000 kilometres in the 30 odd months we owned it. I never gave the diesel fumes a thought. It didn't seem to do us any harm.. ok i'm now riddled with health issues but none of them are breathing related or likely to be linked with breathing bad fumes. My wife is pretty healthy for a 65 y/o touch wood!

It would not be feasible to add a DPF and even if it were it wouldn't be cheap.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I have never owned a Diesel car as I had always been told they were bad for health.

It's not really worse for the people INSIDE the car. Just LOTS of diesel cars emit particulates into the air that is not good for walkers/cyclists and people who live near congested roads.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal