i30 Owners Club

Malfunction indicator light

steplay · 31 · 13277

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hi all,
was driving into work this morning and when nearly there I noticed that a yellow light I never seen before came on.i checked what it was and it turned out to be the malfunction indicator light.i was told that it had something to do with the emission. What I want to know is it safe to drive as I cant get it seen until next friday.between now and then I need to do 300 miles.light comes on steady and does not flash.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
i was told that it had something to do with the emission.

Hey.

Who told you that and what did they use to determine the cause... a code reader? If so, what was the code?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Sorry for confusion,it was a guy at work who said it could be the emission,said he read it on hyundai forums somewhere.

Tbh I have no idea at all about it.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This is where you need a code reader to give you the exact cause.

The M.I.L gets lit under many circumstances - your guy at work is playing best guess and could be miles out.

:link: Hyundai OBD-II Trouble Codes

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
This is where you need a code reader to give you the exact cause.

The M.I.L gets lit under many circumstances - your guy at work is playing best guess and could be miles out.

:link: Hyundai OBD-II Trouble Codes

Excellent reply mate, and with self control, Im usually ready to do a   :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: at this point.   :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@steplay
Hi, any chance of a pic ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hi all,
Got in car this morning to drive to work and the mil light did not turn on.drove to work 20miles and it still had not come on.will see if it stays off when driving home.only thing I done last night was to pump up the tyres.back right was 26psi and the rest 30psi.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi all,
Got in car this morning to drive to work and the mil light did not turn on.drove to work 20miles and it still had not come on.will see if it stays off when driving home.only thing I done last night was to pump up the tyres.back right was 26psi and the rest 30psi.

:rolleyes:

Mate like your friend, you still dont appreciate the MIL ( yellow light). Yes your ageing O2 sensors may be causing the MIL signal. But one of the other 100 possible codes may be telling you your car is about to die or kill you if you dont attend to the fault.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi all,

:rolleyes:

Mate like your friend, you still dont appreciate the MIL ( yellow light). Yes your ageing O2 sensors may be causing the MIL signal. But one of the other 100 possible codes may be telling you your car is about to die or kill you if you dont attend to the fault.

From Op's last post it sounds a bit like it was just a TPMS warning.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
I bought my UK PD manual 5 door new in February 2018. It now has 76,000 miles on the clock. The MIL illuminated within weeks and would stay on for quite some time before either going out by itself or being reset by the supplying dealer. It's booked in for an o2 sensor change (again). I think there might be a service campaign regarding this issue. I've been told by the dealer that the car can be driven but that emissions might be affected. I've always been disappointed by the car's fuel consumption and have hoped (in vain) that with every new o2 sensor that this would improve. As I understand it the feedback from the o2 sensor to the ECU is too slow for efficient fuelling (the wiring on my car has been checked but no fault found). It seems to me that when the light is on the fuel economy improves (but is still disappointing) and that minor glitches at 1,250 and 1,750 rpm disappear.
Regarding the fuel consumption: the overall average is 63.5 mpg which is only slightly better than the 63.2 mpg returned by my first i30 (2009 FD u2 6 gear manual). According to the published figures there should be a difference of about 10 mpg. Going by the figures on the Drive Info screen for no obvious reason the current PD does seem to have good days and bad days regarding fuel consumption which perhaps suggests an intermittent fault. By the way: I've had over a million miles experience of brimming tanks, noting mileages and doing the arithmetic.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

From Op's last post it sounds a bit like it was just a TPMS warning.  :undecided:

On a 2007 FD ?    :scared: model not stated.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

On a 2007 FD ?    :scared: model not stated.

It is possible. I think @Shambles  first i30 (2008 FD) had it?

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It sure did.

And the M.I.L light and TPMS warning light are very different.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It sure did.

And the M.I.L light and TPMS warning light are very different.

:goodjob:

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hi guys,
Instead of starting a new post I 4hought I would post this here and someone could let me know if this is related to the above problem.was driving down the motorway when the car all of a sudden lost power ie:acceleration just died.pulled over to the side and turned of engine.then turned car back on and she started.put car into gear and it died.tried it a few times same result. Turned it off left for a few minutes, hey presto it went.drove home no problems.any idea what is wrong?

I filled the car up last nite and the tank was nearly empty.have it booked in for a service on Friday,will try and see if he takes me tomorrow.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi guys,
Instead of starting a new post I 4hought I would post this here and someone could let me know if this is related to the above problem.was driving down the motorway when the car all of a sudden lost power ie:acceleration just died.pulled over to the side and turned of engine.then turned car back on and she started.put car into gear and it died.tried it a few times same result. Turned it off left for a few minutes, hey presto it went.drove home no problems.any idea what is wrong?

I filled the car up last nite and the tank was nearly empty.have it booked in for a service on Friday,will try and see if he takes me tomorrow.
Some extra information in your signature about year and fuel type would be beneficial...since you've not mentioned a warning light on dash I'm suspecting fuel filter :undecided:

While your modifying your signature! it's "Hyundai" :wink:

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
The car is a 2010 cdri hyundai i30.no warning light or anything just lost power.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The car is a 2010 cdri hyundai i30.no warning light or anything just lost power.

filter is possible, but it suddenly lives and he can drive home. ?????????????????? usually dead is dead.  :disapp:

OP originally mentioned the MIL. OP has not come back with codes, just speculation by 'some guy at work'.

Suggest OP does it properly this time and we, or his mechanic, may have some useful information to help resolve his problem(s)

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
In for service monday,so hopefully all can be answered then.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :goodjob2: :goodjob2: way to go.

Hopefully simple fix. Cheers.

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Just a quick update.brought the car down to the garage this morning and he done a diagnostic check what threw up a lot of errors.he said nothing showed up about emissions but alot of errors were low voltage and power steering.he said they could be old ones or recent but not entirely sure.

He checked the battery and said that it needed replaced and that oil was congealed. He is replacing the battery and doing an oil change and new filter.

He cleared the errors and said they have not coming back.thats all I know at the moment.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
How long since it's last service? must be some time if oil has congealed :eek:

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
I bought the car last October and the garage I bought it from claimed it was fully serviced before I bought it.so in other words I have no idea.

An oil change is every year or 10,000 miles is that correct?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 13:28:27 by steplay »
  • Hyundia i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Did you get the service history?

next time always write down the codes before they are cleared. plenty of folk can tell you more when hard facts are presented...

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
The guy in the garage said he made a file of the errors and saved it  on their computer. I will ask him for a print out and post it here if ok.wont be till friday though.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
15,000km is the interval although I do them every 10k = filter and full synthetic oil .  A few $s spent on oil is insignificant against cost of engine wear.

90% that Power steer codes are from a low or dead battery. That causes ESP to come into play until you drive a bit more.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Which warning light is for the DPF - I've forgotten and no longer have a diesel i30 handbook to check?

I can't even recall when they started fitting DPF's to i30's.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline steplay

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
Hi all,

Got all the error codes of the garage as he made a backup.he said  some could be old or recent.he wiped the codes so when I bring car back to garage on Friday  he can see if they are repeated

C1259   c1617
P250c   c1205
P1186   c1283
P250c   c1513
C1503   b1102
C1208   c1102
C1260

That's all the codes that were recorded in no particular order.
  • Hyundia i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Don't have my old file of codes to hand, but something like:

P1186  Fuel Rail Pressure
Possibly the cause of the motorway issue  check/replace diesel filter at least.

c1617 Invalid Engine Speed
c1205 Wheel speed sensor FR
c1283  Yaw Rate Signal
b1102 airbag battery voltage low
C1208  wheel speed sensor RL
c1102  battery low
New battery and hope they dont come back.

C1259 Steering Angle Sensor malfunction
C1260 steering angle sensor signal
C1503  ESP Switch Failure
possibly battery related. New battery and hope they dont come back, bit of a safety issue if steering fails. I assume the steering doesnt exhibit any faults or noises? there was a TSB for steering but I don't recall if it applied to 2010 models.

P250c Engine Oil Level Low
As already mentioned - replace oil and filter.

c1513 Brake Light Switch
Possibly battery related but check you brake lights are working relaibily - hyundai brake switches have a reputation for unreliability.

Given the issues doesn't sound like its been services very well recently.

I'd be checking my disc thickness and pad thickness on the front brakes for sure.

And the colour and level of the brake fluid (should not be dark).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal