i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 clutch

Offline Matty123

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Monaghan
Hi everyone I have a quick question it keeps puzzling me here, I have a Hyundai i30 2015 I’m only after replacing engine and gearbox as she slipped the timing chain and drove the piston up the head and bent the con rod! Tell me this I put new clutch master cylinder and I have bled the clutch several times but I can’t get a clutch she bleeds perfect ignition is on, when I close the bleeding screw the pedal drops to the floor and I have to lift by hand and then I have no clutch I have used two wee drums or clutch fluid, I was hoping to see if anyone here has the same problem or would know how to resolve this thanks

Matty
  • Hyundai i30

Offline electroman5000

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester, UK
Hi, Matty,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Can't really help much with the clutch thing, hopefully there are people of this forum with more mechanical knowledge .But I'd like to ask you about your trouble with the timing chain failure, which required engine and gearbox? replacement? On what milage did it happen? How was the car driven and serviced? Are you the only owner of the car? Petrol or diesel? Did you notice any strange noise or behaviour of the engine prior to that?

I've got a 2014 i30 diesel, now already 93k miles, and the timing chain fact always keeps me slightly worried. How long will it last? Should I change it at 100/150/200k miles? Some say it lasts forever, but your example shows - it doesn't. I plan to keep the car running for many many more years to come - want to get at least 300k miles on it.

Cheers!
  • 2014 1.6 CRDi 128hp Style "Cream"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Matty123,

Wow! Fortunately what happened to your engine seem an isolated case. Was it fixed under warranty or don't you get 5 years over there?

Are you saying that after the engine repair the clutch is now malfunctioning and you can't get it to "take up". Your post is a little confusing?  :undecided:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
Correct me, if I am wrong. The new HY require ABS pump priming/bleeding too in your case.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
clutch several times but I can’t get a clutch she bleeds perfect ignition is on, when I close the bleeding screw the pedal drops to the floor and I have to lift by hand and then I have no clutch
Matty

:wacko: to cut to the chase, you need to " reverse bleed ". You need to pump brake fluid from the bleed nipple up to the brake/clutch reservoir. Put a hose from a wheel brake nipple to clutch nipple and pump brake.

she slipped the timing chain and drove the piston up the head and bent the con rod!

Im also curious about the mileage . Timing chains  reported to last for 300K miles or more.

More curious is the bent con rod. If the timing fails, valves get bent. Its just a head repair.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline kennethmcdonald01

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Had the same issue with my clutch. 2007 diesel i30.
turned out to be the slave cylinder passing and letting air into the circuit.
Easy to replace the salve cylinder, careful though the shaft and piston come in varied sizes (lengths) measure carefully length of  shaft and depth of piston before swapping them over.
  • I30 diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal