i30 Owners Club

I 30 FD diesel wont start.

artrix · 56 · 14833

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Hi I have an FD I30 diesel 2012 model that just cranks but wont start. The day before I replaced the fuel filter as I was going to drive it to Canberra from Brisbane for a good friends funeral and thought it would be a good thing to do before a long drive.
Before changing it I was having an issue with dying slightly at low revs when driving off from be stationary. I recently had water contamination in the fuel tank which I drained and fitted a new filter. All was good but a couple of months ago I got a water warning light and as it was a weekend I just pulled the filter off upended it to drain any water that may have been in it.
I realize I should had fitted a new one asap but life has been difficult this year and I forgot. Car ran ok but developed this slight stumble on take off which I put down to a restricted filter. After fitting new filter all was good car drove as before and I figured it sorted. I drove it around for hours and no problem. Then...... I parked it  and no start! it cranks but wont fire....I pumped the primer no joy, if air leak I would at least be able to pump it up enough for it to at least fire up but nothing ....I sampled the diesel from the filter and it looks fine no sign of water. I have refitted the original filter no change I have looked for any obvious loose wires...none.  Put scan tool on and no obvious issues have come up but I am a pumpkin head regards the scan tool but it all looks ok. I cracked the fuel line at the injectors and cranked it and fuel is being delivered. I am wondering if the injectors are firing but I dont know how to check that ....any tips ? I assume that if the injectors where the issue it would show up on the scan.     wondering about key but as I dont have a spare I cant test that.....wondering if any of you have any experience with something like this. I believe I can rule out air leaks as I have said earlier i have taken it off and refitted it a few times and all is normal......should I get a priest?   Any opinions would be very gratefully received.   cheers
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
The filter in it is an oem one as is the replacement
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
wont be key.
 Fresh water, or water and mud?
Possible rail or HP pump pressure sensor has been contaminated. Remove and check. Clear by pumping fuel through rail with sensor removed.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Thanks for all the input I have been away and have not been able to look into the car until this morning. Had a mobile mechanic I know drop by with his scan tool to check for codes and he found c1260 and c1611. Could either of these faults immobilise the car from starting.
Power steering issues wondering if the cars computer stops it from starting as a safety measure.
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for all the input I have been away and have not been able to look into the car until this morning. Had a mobile mechanic I know drop by with his scan tool to check for codes and he found c1260 and c1611. Could either of these faults immobilise the car from starting.
Power steering issues wondering if the cars computer stops it from starting as a safety measure.
C1611 is comms between the EPS and ECM. Failsafe is vehicle speed set to 40KPH. Possible cuases it suggests bad harness, open or short cct or bad ECM. I guess a bad ECM  could mean no engine management.

C1260  steering angle sensor cct, not going to stop the car ESP lamp would be on.

were these codes current or history

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
C1611 is comms between the EPS and ECM. Failsafe is vehicle speed set to 40KPH. Possible cuases it suggests bad harness, open or short cct or bad ECM. I guess a bad ECM  could mean no engine management.

C1260  steering angle sensor cct, not going to stop the car ESP lamp would be on.

were these codes current or history

I believe he cleared the codes then ran a test again and they where what remained. The car just cranks and doesn't fire , clutching at straws at the moment. I thought key immobiliser but he said it would leave a code. Fuel is good , crank angle sensor is working ....we tried to test the leads to the injectors with a test light and it seems there is no pulse going thru but he admitted that he hadn't had a lot of experience with Hyundai's apart from general services. His time was free as he was going to a job around the corner.   Giving me the s***ts tho apart from now its been reliable.
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I dont see any clear relationship between the fuel problems and later non performance...

The steering codes occur if you get battery failure or 12v line dropout.

ESP etc is not going to stop the engine starting.

I tend to think bad connection from  or around the ECU

The ECU and Battery are  near the fuel filter. So that is a starting point.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:03:35 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
I dont see any clear relationship between the fuel problems and later non performance...

The ECU and Battery are  near the fuel filter. So that is a stating point.

Yeah i figured it was a long shot the codes might show a reason why i only cranks. Afew weeks ago I had to replace the battery    so that may account for them. The fuel filter has 3 plugs into it one being the water contaminate alert. what are the other two.....im just wondering as you have to disturb them when changing filter...???
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

The ECU and Battery are  near the fuel filter. So that is a stating point.

Yeah i figured it was a long shot the codes might show a reason why i only cranks. Afew weeks ago I had to replace the battery    so that may account for them. The fuel filter has 3 plugs into it one being the water contaminate alert. what are the other two.....im just wondering as you have to disturb them when changing filter...???
Heat and fuel filter sensor

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane

Cheers didnt think it would be a cause ...thanks.

Anyone know a good mobile mechanic with Hyundai experience?.....Im in Everton Park and have run out of ideas
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
check your messages inbox

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Revision for C1611, There appears to be the same code  for 2 different systems. Both are being reported

C1611 ABS ESP (stability program)= CAN timeout EMS

C1611 EPS(steering) = CAN timeout EMS

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 12:46:26 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
EPS datalink connector M49

photo uploader

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
And that means >>>>>>>????? lol
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Dont forget I need Hyundai's for dummies
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Dont forget I need Hyundai's for dummies
The CAN is the communications link from other modules. Both the aBS and steering units are not reporting to the ECU. So you may have to confirm connectivity as per the fault finding . If the harness is ok, then it suggests swapping a known good ECU. Of course it's  not going to start like that but if the comms fault cleared(C1611) then that would mean the fault was the ECU. that may also lead to fixing the no start?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
E47

can High data link ABS. That connector is in the vicinity of the fuel filter too. could that harness be damaged / shorted?

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
Ok I guess locating a good ecu is on the cards...starting to get to the point beyond my skill level
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline artrix

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane
I will check the condition of the harness tomorrow .... thanks for the research
  • I30 turbo diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok I guess locating a good ecu is on the cards...starting to get to the point beyond my skill level
Only need to borrow one to see if that C1611 clears, I don't think @nzenigma would have one from that late?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Only need to borrow one to see if that C1611 clears, I don't think @nzenigma would have one from that late?

Not for the diesel only petrol.

Thinking on this over night, Im reluctant to ignore the water in fuel issue. Twice.!!!! 
Where did you get it? Could it be still there, or there again?
If it was a crap supplier did he also supply diesel bug?
In that case fuel sensors on rail and HP pump could be contaminated. = car will not start.
Also pick up in tank will be clogged

The codes related to steering  could simply be related to long periods of cranking. Have had that happen occasionally.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Thinking on this over night, Im reluctant to ignore the water in fuel issue. Twice.!!!! 
In that case fuel sensors on rail and HP pump could be contaminated. = car will not start.

The codes related to steering  could simply be related to long periods of cranking. Have had that happen occasionally.
@nzenigma  I was just thinking , would there be any point removing the supply and return lines at the motor end and hooking up some clear tubing and then run diesel straight from a container? I have run diesel purge like that through one of mine.

WHich sensors are we talking about specifically?

Rail pressure is showing normal  25 - 30 Mpa so I think that sensor is ok, not sure about the pump.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@nzenigma

This is a snapshot, O2 sensor temp caught my attention as weird

Glow is receiving voltage, and there is 0.3 ohms showing at the harness so that's looking fine

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 23:03:41 by tw2005 »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

@nzenigma  I was just thinking , would there be any point removing the supply and return lines at the motor end and hooking up some clear tubing and then run diesel straight from a container? I have run diesel purge like that through one of mine.

WHich sensors are we talking about specifically?

Rail pressure is showing normal  25 - 30 Mpa so I think that sensor is ok, not sure about the pump.

Sensor on the end of the rail. That should be the detection pressure which appears to be correct.
The other one is on to of the  pump.  Overall it seems you have pressure. If no fuel , no pressure, that is as long as all air is purged.

Assume you are dicking around with OP,s car.
I have Wils diesel in the workshop this morning if you want to get  comparative data.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
O2 system has 'interesting' values that I would have to read up on again. But cant explain that, unless it is some generic value.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sorry, just went back to original post, its an FD!!!!  :crazy1:

May have an ECU.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Sorry, just went back to original post, its an FD!!!!  :crazy1:

May have an ECU.

2009 and 2010 are somewhere in shed 2

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal