Author Topic: i30 GD Central Locking issue  (Read 1510 times)

• gb United Kingdom
    Birmingham, UK
i30 GD Central Locking issue
« October 09, 2019, 14:27:38 »
Hi all - i30 has just turned 5 years old and conveniently the central locking has started to play up.

Upon unlocking the car, occasionally the boot and rear right passenger doors won't unlock. The lock button on the central console blinks, the same way it does if a rear passenger tries to open the door when locked. Pressing the button locks the doors, but pressing a second time leads it to blink again (and still not unlock the rear right door or boot).

I'm hoping this is something simple that can be fixed via a reset or similar... has anyone come across this?

• 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
Re: i30 GD Central Locking issue
« Reply #1 : October 09, 2019, 17:31:34 »
Sorry to hear that mate! Murphy's law!  :fum:

You could try the disconnect negative terminal of the battery for at least 30 minutes trick. Might be worth putting a new battery in the remote. for a couple of bucks it's worth a try. Weirder things have happened.

Being two locks not working it is hopefully not an actuator failure which is a right pain and can get expensive unless you can swap them yourself.

Fingers crossed for a simple fix.
  • MY18 PD SR & 2019 Kona Active 1.6T  (prev owned 3 other 130's incl a diesel)

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #2 : October 09, 2019, 18:00:55 »
The way wbm has written, it seems that both fail, or both open in unison.

One would hope that it is just coincidence and that some WD40 in each actuator will resolve the problem. Also check the the metal catches are moving freely
  • Every FD model; BMW Z3 M; Mitzi Magna(mobile office)

• Author
  • gb United Kingdom
    Birmingham, UK
« Reply #3 : October 14, 2019, 10:07:39 »
Thanks both. Has only happened three times so far. I'll disconnect the negative terminal for 30 mins sometime and see if that helps. Tried with the alternative fob and both batteries are fairly new.

A remedy is to start the engine, then switch off and remove the key from ignition which correctly unlocks all doors as it should do. Dealership service desk guy is checking with a technician as to the symptoms.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

• gb United Kingdom
    Stoke on Trent United kingdom
« Reply #4 : November 08, 2019, 12:24:25 »
I have recently noticed a similar problem, only tested on drivers side door but a single press on the unlock button doesn’t unlock the door, once pressed again it unlocks fine. I can hear the central locking working and the interior lights up on a single press.
I have recently changed the car battery a month ago and I left it disconnected from power for at least 30 minutes before connecting the new one.
I will try a new fob battery and test all the doors later
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

• gb United Kingdom
    South Devon, UK
« Reply #5 : November 11, 2019, 08:42:14 »
I am having the exact same problem as wbm00. Boot and rear right passenger door will not unlock with the key fob or the unlock console buton. Have tried the spare key fob, no difference. The rear passenger door will not open from the inside either. If I keep the boot unlock button pressed on the key fob and pull on the boot latch, it will open. Car is a 2013 i30 Style, bought new.
  • i30 Style

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Adelaide
  • Callsign GUNZ
« Reply #6 : November 15, 2019, 04:30:00 »
That tells me it's neither battery nor fobs, but the specific actuators involved, are failing. Perhaps a bit of refurbishment - dry lube and resetting of connectors.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG's PDSRPremAuto

• gb United Kingdom
    South Devon, UK
« Reply #7 : November 15, 2019, 06:55:37 »
I contacted another member who had the same problem. They told me that it self rectified in a couple of weeks. I'm not keen on removing door panels so have a mechanic who is coming to look at the car. Certaunly not going to take it to the dealership. I find it strange that both the rear passenger door and boot are affected, all others doors operate fine.
  • i30 Style

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #8 : November 15, 2019, 15:44:49 »
The way wbm has written, it seems that both fail, or both open in unison.

One would hope that it is just coincidence and that some WD40 in each actuator will resolve the problem. Also check the the metal catches are moving freely

:whistler:   :whsaid:   and Gonz

• gb United Kingdom
    London
« Reply #9 : November 22, 2019, 06:11:39 »
I also have this problem with the rear driver side door and boot. If I turn on the engine and unlock using the internal central locking button all doors open normally. Any ideas?
  • Hyundai i30 Style mk2  5 door (1.4 petrol) manual  2013

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Adelaide
  • Callsign GUNZ
« Reply #10 : November 22, 2019, 06:41:48 »
If I turn on the engine and unlock using the internal central locking button all doors open normally.
The engine running will give you a higher available voltage (notwithstanding quality of regulation), which would again suggest the actuators are mechanically or electrically sluggish. Go with lubrication and connection checking in the first instance. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG's PDSRPremAuto

• au Australia
    Samford Valley
« Reply #11 : November 22, 2019, 15:13:14 »
 :thanx: :agreed: :Agoodpost: :wss:

• gb United Kingdom
    Stoke on Trent United kingdom
« Reply #12 : December 09, 2019, 05:13:04 »
My central locking is doing the same thing now with my driver side door and the boot not unlocking. If I press the unlock button and then put the key into the drivers door and unlock it, the boot will also unlock.
Is this just a case of the mechanism needing a bit of oiling?
If so where do you start on taking the door panel off?
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

anything