i30 Owners Club

i30 GD Central Locking issue

wbm00 · 30 · 15060

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Hi all - i30 has just turned 5 years old and conveniently the central locking has started to play up.

Upon unlocking the car, occasionally the boot and rear right passenger doors won't unlock. The lock button on the central console blinks, the same way it does if a rear passenger tries to open the door when locked. Pressing the button locks the doors, but pressing a second time leads it to blink again (and still not unlock the rear right door or boot).

I'm hoping this is something simple that can be fixed via a reset or similar... has anyone come across this?
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that mate! Murphy's law!  :fum:

You could try the disconnect negative terminal of the battery for at least 30 minutes trick. Might be worth putting a new battery in the remote. for a couple of bucks it's worth a try. Weirder things have happened.

Being two locks not working it is hopefully not an actuator failure which is a right pain and can get expensive unless you can swap them yourself.

Fingers crossed for a simple fix.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The way wbm has written, it seems that both fail, or both open in unison.

One would hope that it is just coincidence and that some WD40 in each actuator will resolve the problem. Also check the the metal catches are moving freely
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Thanks both. Has only happened three times so far. I'll disconnect the negative terminal for 30 mins sometime and see if that helps. Tried with the alternative fob and both batteries are fairly new.

A remedy is to start the engine, then switch off and remove the key from ignition which correctly unlocks all doors as it should do. Dealership service desk guy is checking with a technician as to the symptoms.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
I have recently noticed a similar problem, only tested on drivers side door but a single press on the unlock button doesn’t unlock the door, once pressed again it unlocks fine. I can hear the central locking working and the interior lights up on a single press.
I have recently changed the car battery a month ago and I left it disconnected from power for at least 30 minutes before connecting the new one.
I will try a new fob battery and test all the doors later
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline atw

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Devon, UK
I am having the exact same problem as wbm00. Boot and rear right passenger door will not unlock with the key fob or the unlock console buton. Have tried the spare key fob, no difference. The rear passenger door will not open from the inside either. If I keep the boot unlock button pressed on the key fob and pull on the boot latch, it will open. Car is a 2013 i30 Style, bought new.
  • i30 Style

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That tells me it's neither battery nor fobs, but the specific actuators involved, are failing. Perhaps a bit of refurbishment - dry lube and resetting of connectors.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline atw

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Devon, UK
I contacted another member who had the same problem. They told me that it self rectified in a couple of weeks. I'm not keen on removing door panels so have a mechanic who is coming to look at the car. Certaunly not going to take it to the dealership. I find it strange that both the rear passenger door and boot are affected, all others doors operate fine.
  • i30 Style

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The way wbm has written, it seems that both fail, or both open in unison.

One would hope that it is just coincidence and that some WD40 in each actuator will resolve the problem. Also check the the metal catches are moving freely

:whistler:   :whsaid:   and Gonz
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Obren1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
I also have this problem with the rear driver side door and boot. If I turn on the engine and unlock using the internal central locking button all doors open normally. Any ideas?
  • Hyundai i30 Style mk2 5 door (1.4 petrol) manual 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If I turn on the engine and unlock using the internal central locking button all doors open normally.
The engine running will give you a higher available voltage (notwithstanding quality of regulation), which would again suggest the actuators are mechanically or electrically sluggish. Go with lubrication and connection checking in the first instance. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :thanx: :agreed: :Agoodpost: :wss:

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
My central locking is doing the same thing now with my driver side door and the boot not unlocking. If I press the unlock button and then put the key into the drivers door and unlock it, the boot will also unlock.
Is this just a case of the mechanism needing a bit of oiling?
If so where do you start on taking the door panel off?
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline Ausi30CRDi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Hello All,

Is there any actual reason why this is happening?  I have the EXACT same problem.  This means it's an electrical fault or similar.  Yesterday I unlocked my car using the fob and my rear right door wouldn't unlock as well as the rear hatch.

My car is a 2013 GD diesel 6sp manual.

The door wouldn't unlock from the inside either.

The hatch would only unlock if I held down the button of kept pressing it while trying to open it at the same time.

There are other times this trick simply didn't work.

The central locking light would flash if I tried to unlock using the button.

After several attempts to open the door it randomly started working in the evening and I sprayed the lock with WD-40, same with the hatch lock.

Yesterday afternoon I tried to unlock the car at the lights and the central locking light blinked and the doors wouldn't unlock at all.

Is there a central locking module / brain / computer that controls all this?

There is nothing in the handbook about the flashing light but I assume it's a warning indication for a system fault indicator.

The fact that it all appears to be the same 2 doors in all above comments means it's not the lock actuator but the electronic signal that tells them what to do.

Hope to have this solved as I have 2 infant children and putting them in their booster chairs and trying to carry their pram has obviously become very hard.

Thanks heaps!
  • 2013 i30 CRDi CW

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Ausi30CRDi

Sorry to hear of your problem. Such a great car (especially the diesel) but when this sort of thing happens after the warranty expires it is very inconvenient and frustrating.

I still suspect it is mechanical (movement within the actuator) rather than electronic. Can't explain why several have had the same two actuators fail at the same time though.  :crazy1:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
I've received some private messages asking if I found a solution. The answer is no - the problem has not repeated itself and hopefully it'll stay that way until I swap the i30 for a proper brand of vehicle  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've received some private messages asking if I found a solution. The answer is no - the problem has not repeated itself and hopefully it'll stay that way until I swap the i30 for a proper brand of vehicle  :goodjob:
Proper brand!  :evil: Check out BMW and Audi/VW or Mercedes forums.. their problems would far outweigh ours...

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Proper brand!  :evil: Check out BMW and Audi/VW or Mercedes forums.. their problems would far outweigh ours...
I'm thinking Toyota, Honda. Wouldn't touch the German brands unless a company/leased vehicle.

Looking at the issues I've had with this i30, hopefully you'll understand why I feel this way.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm thinking Toyota, Honda. Wouldn't touch the German brands unless a company/leased vehicle.

Looking at the issues I've had with this i30, hopefully you'll understand why I feel this way.

Yeah ok fair call.. Don't think I've had one warranty claim in any of my 3 Toyota Hybrids so far...

Glad you didn't say Mazda, Subaru or Nissan.. Those three aren't as reliable these days from what i've seen and heard.  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Oh Darling, we do, we do! Poor you.   :HuggsNKisses:

:countsheep: Sometimes a door wont open; am I missing something here?   :stoned:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK

:countsheep: Sometimes a door wont open; am I missing something here?   :stoned:
How about you review my topics and confirm whether in your view, those faults and issues (all of which were verified by Hyundai) are a good enough reason to be disappointed. Or whether you feel that this is normal build quality and I just have unreasonably high standards... 

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
How about you review my topics and confirm whether in your view, those faults and issues (all of which were verified by Hyundai) are a good enough reason to be disappointed. Or whether you feel that this is normal build quality and I just have unreasonably high standards...

Mate I'm sure you have a list of lists that you want us to see.  :scared:

Sorry, I'm neither an accountant nor a public servant, so as per usual I found a review of posts rather mind numbing and needless; however, a quick look revealed that you have twice been baffled by the installation of your number plate lights.   :wacko:

Given that this is far from rocket science, I wonder what actual expertise you bring to the table regarding the quality of Hyundai and German vehicles.

Irrespective,  I remain truly sympathetic.  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A quick scroll back through wbms recent posts shows an oil leak requiring a new clutch, central locking issues etc...  :whistler:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK

A quick scroll back through wbms recent posts shows an oil leak requiring a new clutch, central locking issues etc...  :whistler:

I suspect your colleague has some issues in his or her personal life which they feel the need to take out on this forum. Unprofessional for someone with the title of global moderator.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I suspect your colleague has some issues in his or her personal life which they (sic) feel the need to take out on this forum. Unprofessional for someone with the title of global moderator.

per my former post - mind numbing discourse.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

@Dazzler  Without statistical proof, this is where the often vacuous rant of a car critic will fall down.  For instance, oil seals are not made by the manufacturer of the car.
 Timkin, Kelpro, Vitron, Victor Reinz etc, make seals and supply a wide range of manufacturers including Hyundai.
The same can be said about bearings and various electronic components.

The same fail rate may occur in a wide range of makes.

I would support any other moderator who defends his or her favoured make or model on the same basis.

Edit: Only with the reputation of the i30 in mind, I call time on this 'discussion'.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 01:13:34 by nzenigma »

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
per my former post - mind numbing discourse.

It seems your aim is to chase me off the forum by continuing to make personal attacks and exhibiting your unprofessional attitude for all to see. However, I'm not going anywhere and will not hesitate to make sure prospective Hyundai buyers see the list of verified warranty claims on this i30:

2 x faulty brake calipers replaced (with discs and pads)
1 x clutch due to faulty oil seal
2 x corroded seat mountings replaced
1 x rear seat retaining bolt replaced to eliminate creaking noise

Perhaps @Dazzler and @Shambles might review whether your title of "global moderator" is appropriate given your conduct. Possibly you're embarrassed that your darling Hyundai brand isn't being shown in the best light but these are facts, verified by Hyundai technicians. To behave in this way is only going to be to this forum's detriment - how many newbies would sign up based on seeing your responses to me?

Most members have been very helpful. You have been the exception. @AlanHo was the main reason I joined this forum after I saw his i30 GD review and he went on to provide excellent advice leading to the purchase of my i30.

I realise all vehicles and brands have issues but you have to accept that the problems I've had with this i30 have been excessive and would quite reasonably lead to a loss of faith in the brand.

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :whsaid: I don’t comment much on this forum but occasionally look at topics and comments. usually comments are of a respectful nature, unlike many other forums. Unfortunately nzenigma’s comments are not always respectful and his comments to wbm00 about his issue are not the first time I have cringed and been embarrassed by his comments.
Consequently, he has caused me to re-think my membership, so please cancel my membership.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I do agree on that point Gary, the i30 is generally one of the most reliable cars on the road.  :goodjob:

With a the few recent hiccups with the PD I think they may be behind Toyota (not sure about Honda)

Yes, I think we've all made our point.

Offline atw

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Devon, UK
Have now had this fault repaired. This was done by an independent mechanic, not the dealership.

Diagnostics did not show any faults. Except, the rear door was showing as constantly open and closed. As it was not possible to open the rear OS passenger door to access the lock, the rear seat, door seals and various trims had to be removed. This took some time and is not something I would have attempted myself. Eventually the door panel was removed, the lock exposed and the door opened by pulling on the lock cable. The actuator was cleaned and lubricated and the door could then be opened and closed using the key fob. The boot also opened and closed correctly, so there is obviously a connection here. Annoyingly, the next day, the problem returned, Unable to open the rear passenger door or boot. Fortunately the mechanic had suggested not replacing everything, just in case. He was correct. A new lock was then ordered. Part number: 81420-A6110 HC1. He was able to get one from a salvaged 2015 i30. A new one would have been expensive. The last three digits were different but the lock was identical.  The lock is not easy to remove and even more difficult to replace. I would not recommend trying to do this repair yourself, unless you know what you are doing.

Rear door and boot now working correctly... fingers crossed.
  • i30 Style

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal