Dash Illumination

PaulM · 7 · 1761

Offline PaulM

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Arte Et Marte
Hi All,
First post on here and I am just looking to overcome a small gripe with my 2007 Diesel. I have noticed the dash instruments are very hard to see without the lights on to turn dash illumination on. I dont really want to turn parkers on all the time as I usually forget to turn them off. Yes, I know they turn off automatically when the key is removed, but I would prefer not to rely on that. My question is, is there a hack I can use to make the dash lights come on with the ignition regardless of light switch, or am I missing something blindingly obvious like a switch.

Thanks, Paul M
  • 2007 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, 5Speed Manual, Silver

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Interesting. You're not missing anything, there is no neglected switch. There's certainly scope for a hack where you can locate the line that feeds the dash lighting and interrupt it with an inline switch to ignition feed. FD wiring diagram, anyone?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Paul,

Yes, that was a crazy aftersight by Hyundai. The next model had permanent back lighting.  I always turned the lights on when we had ours but a hack would be good. An auto electrician could soon sort it out. Ring around for a few quotes.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Auto electrician?  :spitty:
Let @nzenigma see this and I'm pretty sure he'll post a schematic of the relevant wiring. Then I'll be happy to talk you through it. :goodjob:

Offline PaulM

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Arte Et Marte
I am guessing there is a 12V feed to the dimmer control, my thought would be to remove that and connect an ignition controlled 12 V to the dimmer via a switch. My auto electrics is limited to old stuff like morris,  wolseleys and EJ Holdens.

Thanks for all the input guys, Paul M
  • 2007 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, 5Speed Manual, Silver

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Seeing how we're both in Adelaide (except right now I'm at Canberra airport) let's plan the work and then plan to meet up on a weekend to get it done. :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Seeing how we're both in Adelaide (except right now I'm at Canberra airport) let's plan the work and then plan to meet up on a weekend to get it done. :victory:

@PaulM

Having met Gonz a couple of times I can confirm that he is a great guy and this is a genuine offer.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal