i30 Owners Club

Install Air Lift 1000 air bag suspension

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Today I installed the Air Lift 1000 air bag to my FD.
Due to the nature of my workplace, I do delivery occasionally with around 200kg in the cargo. Plus my own weight and my passengers it will be over 350kg. The car sits quite low and the handling isn’t great.

The cheap solution I can find is installing the air bag suspension. I ordered this kit $150 (tax included) + free shipping on Amazon.

Air Lift 1000 series 60900

Zipped it and slide it in from the bottom hole

Video how I run the air hose: :link: Air Lift 60900 1000 Universal Air Spring Kit - Hyundai i30 FD - YouTube

Will let you guys know how the performance in the next loading I do.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:17:28 by quankino »
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's and interesting and economical solution! Be interested to hear the feedback!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yep, I'm looking forward to your next few posts. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@quankino
How's the upgrade going buddy?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
@quankino
How's the upgrade going buddy?

Forgot to leave the feedback here.
After a month, I could say I'm happy with the mod though.

Pros:
- No more sagged/bottomed out on heavy loads or accelerating hard
- Slightly improved understeer when corning.
- Slightly improved stabilisation on the highway.

Cons:
- It's a universal kit so it doesn't fit perfectly. There's a 1cm gap between the airbag and the stopping rubber. I might get customed spacers soon.
- Noticeable noise. Airbags are rubbing against the coil springs.
- Body flexibility reduced. Not sure if it's a disadvantage. When I drive to a high driveway from a <90* angle, I can feel one of the rear wheel off the ground.

• 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers for the feedback. Interesting.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@quankino
Thanks for that   :goodjob:
Saggy arse fixed  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
I just read this post about airbags with a good amount of interest!

Our 2013 GD wagon has the typical soft rear suspension - springs that bottom out too easily.

I contacted 2 of the better known airbag companies in Australia - neither supplies anything that will fit,
One recommended having custom springs made, however, as a cheap fix he said to try putting tennis balls inside the rear springs - it will not raise the height or be adjustable, but it will stop the sagging and bottoming out!!

I mentioned this at my local tyre shop - and the counter bloke smiled and said "seen it before - several times, and yep - it works"
  • 2013 gd wagon, petrol /auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I just read this post about airbags with a good amount of interest!

Our 2013 GD wagon has the typical soft rear suspension - springs that bottom out too easily.

I contacted 2 of the better known airbag companies in Australia - neither supplies anything that will fit,
One recommended having custom springs made, however, as a cheap fix he said to try putting tennis balls inside the rear springs - it will not raise the height or be adjustable, but it will stop the sagging and bottoming out!!

I mentioned this at my local tyre shop - and the counter bloke smiled and said "seen it before - several times, and yep - it works"
What are you carrying in the back to make it bottom out? mines lowered and I've never hit the bottom.

If I had to I'd either get a stiffer spring if you're carrying to much weight causing it to sag in the rear, or maybe lifted springs if you want it slightly higher :link: ONF Lifting Rear Springs - Various Applications - Shark Racing

Putting tennis balls in the springs has to be one of the most stupid things I've heard a business recommend  :whistler: a tennis ball wouldn't last long once the vehicle went over a decent sized bump, and in the event of an accident you'd likely be liable once cash investigations found tennis balls inside the springs.

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
I know that I sure as heck will not be stuffing tennis balls into my springs!!

I was gobsmacked when the airbag bloke told me to try it, and I should clarify that the tyre shop bloke in no way encouraged me to try the tennis ball trick either.

We had 3 of these January 2013 GD petrol/auto wagons in our fleet at work.
All 3 suffered the same either saggy or too-soft springs, with the worst being the one with a towbar fitted, although towing was a rarity - and never excessive amounts of weight and never for very long.
I purchased our car from the company fleet when it was due for trade-in. 
None had what could be considered a hard life - on the contrary - they are well cared for, if anything they are over-serviced!
Heaviest load would be driver [me] and 3 little old ladies being driven between Perth and Shoalwater, 3 or 4 times a year.
Normal driving [95% of the time] would be driver [me] plus one and rarely 2 passengers with at most 15kg of shopping or luggage.
If we had been doing a significantly more amount of 4-5 people on board, or heavier loads, or towing, I would have had a good chance of having uprated and lifted springs fitted by the boss, but the boss being a beancounter was hard to convince.

As I understand it, these wagons were built in Europe - and never had the "Aussie uprated suspension" that was developed for the sedans, they were left with the soft eurospec suspension.

My preference would be a lift of no more than 25mm front and rear, with the springs also being a bit stiffer as the wagon feels a bit "soft" for my liking.
If I find a stiffer rear swaybar that is a straight swap, that might be on the cards too.
When the tyres are due for replacement I plan on going upsize as well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 16:22:47 by sn »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Lovells in Osbourne Park would also be able to make up a better pair of rear springs for you.

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
My original intention was to buy a set of springs and shocks and swap them over myself, then head to Diffens for an alignment. Installing springs isn't rocket science - done it many times over the last 40 years.
I hit a brick wall - no one lists wagon suspension in their catalogues! [that I could track down]

I did a ring-a-round of a bunch of suspension crews around Perth, as well as Kings and a couple of others based on the wrong side of the border.
None were able to supply springs "off the shelf" for an I-30 wagon, none knew of alternatives that would fit.

The best offer was to leave the wagon at one of the workshops where they would do a bunch of measuring of loaded/unloaded heights, drop the springs out measure them, do some calculations then send the details to one of the factories t'otherside, and with a bit of luck we would have our wagon back after 10ish days.
Only problem is we are a one car family - and need to be kept on the road.

I-30 sedans - no problem, anything can be found, but wagon suspension seems to be an unknown quantity.

If I had the time, I would trawl through the local wrecking yards and see if I-30 wagon springs are much different to other Hyundai and KIA vehicles, with a bit of luck, some may be based on the same platform - sharing similar [but uprated] components.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Eibach have springs to suit the Tourer/Estate http://web2.carparts-cat.com/default.aspx?14=4&32=56800&1230=9997&1231=&10=E1336374E1C54DBAA89DF552625F94E7279004&12=110

They're a 20mm drop in height but are much firmer, I've had the rear of my hatch loaded with heavy suitcases plus a car full of passengers and it barely drops height.

Wilkinson Suspensions in Bayswater can order for you or go through Eibach Australia direct :link: - Eibach Springs only problem with dropped springs is you would need front and rear.

Another option would be coil spring spacers for the rear :link: Rear coil spacers 30mm for Hyundai AZERA ELANTRA CRETA GRANDEUR I30 I40 KONA | eBay
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 16:29:52 by CraigB »

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
Hi Craig,
Cant go for lowered springs - as it is the wagon scrapes getting into the driveway at work!

well - it did until I hooked in a set of the Ruski spacers front and rear!

Those Russians certainly know their stuff - after hitting the local brick wall, I contacted the Ruski's, gave them the vin no. and in about a week I had the whole kit.

Took about 2 hours to do the whole job in the driveway.

It will do until I can sort out a proper lifted spring job.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Craig,
Cant go for lowered springs - as it is the wagon scrapes getting into the driveway at work!

well - it did until I hooked in a set of the Ruski spacers front and rear!

Those Russians certainly know their stuff - after hitting the local brick wall, I contacted the Ruski's, gave them the vin no. and in about a week I had the whole kit.

Took about 2 hours to do the whole job in the driveway.

It will do until I can sort out a proper lifted spring job.
I'd have probably done the spring spacers as well for your requirements :goodjob:

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
The spacers were very easy to fit, and do the job nicely.
Hi Craig,

I didn't go overboard - ordered the 20mm kit, which actually lifted the wagon by a bit over 25mm.
The lift has solved all the ground clearance hassles, It's just that the springs [front and rear] are too soft for the job.

The Ruskis were great to deal with - answered all my questions, sorted it all out and as I said before - the spacers are well made, the longer bolts and studs look first rate - only mod I had to do was very slightly open up the stud holes in the front strut towers with a slightly larger drill bit to suit the wider splines on the new studs.

Tyres will be replaced in a few months with next size up which our Diffens tyre shop reckon will give me another 1/2" ground clearance and at the same time correct the speedo. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal