i30 Owners Club

My new ride

CraigB · 19 · 2488

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ordered my xmas prezzie today, a Mearth X Pro scooter...whoever thought I'd resort back to my childhood at almost 50 :whistler:  :D :link: Mearth | The Best E-Scooter and E-Bike in Australia

Planning on getting down the foreshore more often and wherever else I can make use of it as it will fold up and fit in the boot easily, it'll definitely make my trips to the shops much more convenient and keeps the car out of those bloody shopping centre car parks :crazy1:

I was tempted to get the Turbo Lightning but knew I'd probably kill myself :eek: :)

:link: Review: Turbowheel Lightning 40 mph electric scooter - YouTube

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :eek:
well, that's  different and disappointing,  :disapp: thought you'd bought a bike !.
You'll need almost as much gear   :D Got the band aids yet ?  :lol: :lol:
Should have went all out and got the 40mph one-nice disc brake   :cool:
Never had those small wheel girly scooters when I was a kid.
Enjoy !
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@mickd  I thought the the title might tempt and fool some :)

No band aids hopefully, that's why I restricted myself to one that can only do 25kph, electric scooters and skateboards are restricted to 10kph in WA by law so I'll be breaking that in the first 5 minutes anyway :D Don't really need any extra gear, I've got a back pack and wont bother with helmet...I don't wear one for the bike.

8" wheels with front and rear suspension should hopefully smooth out any pathway and road bumps.

Another reason to not get the Turbo Lightning was the $2200 price tag :faint: there's another one that does 50mph with 100km range for $3800 :Shocked:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All fun and games! . Enjoy  :goodjob:
Meant -motorbike  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! Amazing how compact they can make the motor and battery these days!  :Shocked: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll just put this here, seems appropriate. .  :snigger:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Part 1

My scooter experience so far :whistler: to say I didn't end up having much luck with Mearth scooters is an understatement :disapp:

1st one didn't work so they organised a 2nd one to come out which turned up a week later and wouldn't ya know it...it didn't work either :head_knock: a day later and another scooter turns up :confused: realised they had wrongly sent back the 1st scooter that didn't work including the promised 2nd scooter.

Now the 2nd scooter I tested for one day and I couldn't get more than 3km's of the expected 25km range and the stem was also quite loose and rattling so I contacted Mearth again this time requesting they pick up both scooters and if they would kindly give me a refund as I obviously wasn't happy with the quality ( piece of shit would be putting it nicely :D ), Jay from Mearth said he'd have to speak with their manager whom decided they weren't happy with my experience and denied my refund request on the grounds that they have the option to replace or refund and they choose to replace which unfortunately I had to accept according to Consumer Protection  :'(

I wasn't to happy at this stage and just wanted my money back so had to suck it up and accept another scooter but this time I had their agreement in writing that if this 3rd scooter stuffs up they'll guarantee a refund.

So another week goes by and the 3rd scooter turns up, apparently with an updated controller unit :neutral: turns on, great :) take it out for a ride and managed to get 11km's out of it before I melted the rear axle bush causing the rear wheel to shake and rattle all over the place  :head_butt:

Contacted Mearth again for another pick up and reminding them of the written refund agreement, they still tried to weasel their way out of it saying it has to be a major problem...as you can imagine I just about hit the fxxxin roof :censored:  anyway I had all the fault details and other require information which was forwarded to Consumer Protection who were straight on to them and after an enduring 4 months I finally got my money back :yahoo:

Part 2

Being the gluten for punishment that I am :whistler: I've now gone out and bought another scooter, the one I should have bought in the first place rather than being a cheap skate and ending up with a piece of crap, so picked up a Kaabo Mantis dual motor and boy is this thing nuts, I initially didn't want one of these things as I thought I might kill myself and today I just about did exactly that.

I thought I'd set everything to eco mode on single motor till I got used to it but while fiddling around with the settings I'd turned everything to max :eek: I started from the drive way and squeezed the accelerator in the way I'd gotten used to over the last few days and she took off doing a wheelie across the road :Shocked: managed to jump off and keep a hold of it running alongside but was heading straight for the neighbours front window, in my panic instead of hitting the one brake I could just reach I'd pulled the accelerator again :crazy2: thankfully that 2nd squeeze of the accelerator turned me left and I ended up in the neighbours small olive tree in front of their window without a scratch and scooter unscathed  :sweating:

If I'd only had someone filming to put me on youtube, I reckon it would have gone viral :crazy3:

Here's a review on the new and "scary" beast anyway, wish me luck :Prayer: :D

:link: Review: 40 MPH Mantis electric scooter from FluidFreeRide - YouTube

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Congrats Craig. Sounds great! Glad you finally got a refund and a better scooter.  :victory:

What's the story with riding them on the roads in Perth. There are big fines in some states which has meant some importers are being left with big stockpiles.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What's the story with riding them on the roads in Perth. There are big fines in some states which has meant some importers are being left with big stockpiles.
Yeah not exactly legal :whistler: Currently WA laws state not allowed to do more than 10kph with a maximum size 280w scooter which is bloody stupid since a child on a push scooter or skateboard can go faster than that as can any bicycle.

Stores can’t keep up with the sales here, I’ve noticed several large models getting around in just my area alone and as long as you’re not being an idiot on them when out riding the police seem to be turning a blind eye knowing there is soon to be a change in the laws for them as the ACT has just done...probably only get the speed bumped to 25kph though and retain the 10kph when around pedestrians.

There are plenty of the smaller commuter scooters getting around in the city now as well since they can leave their vehicles at home and just scoot into work which is an excellent idea to save on vehicle costs and reduce traffic congestion and emissions.

I’ll be taking mine for it’s first big ride today out around Rocky and out to the Point so if I’m not on the forum later I maybe resting at the cop shop :snigger:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I’ll be taking mine for it’s first big ride today out around Rocky and out to the Point so if I’m not on the forum later I maybe resting at the cop shop :snigger:

Or at the base of a tree.... :whistler:    :P
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Or at the base of a tree.... :whistler:    :P

:snigger:   :sweating:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hey Craig they look like fun!
I been enjoying my e mountain bike for a few years now , what sort of distance do you get on one battery charge?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I been enjoying my e mountain bike for a few years now , what sort of distance do you get on one battery charge?

It depends whether or not he hits anything, eh @CraigB?   :rofl:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Lakes If I remain in eco mode which reduces torque and speed to 32kph I’ll get 80kms, dual motor turbo mode will drop it down to 40 or 50 kms if I sit on the max 67kph the whole journey.

I have also been contemplating converting my Giant MTB into an electric with one of the Bafang motors :link: Mid Drive Kits | Bafang Mid Drive Australia Wide   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:01:41 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hopefully not :fingers: I learnt a lesson yesterday that this thing will do me in if not careful :Drive: :Ouch: :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Graig , sounds like high speeds, I don't know how fast I go on my e MTB, but I do know motor set to cut out at 25kph 7 they are all limited to 250w, & when you peddle over 25kph you are not using any power at all. the system works greater what we do. the e MTB just blend in nicely with the full peddle MTB's. I would think about 36kph going down hill, but the tracks are rough & some single track. so it seems a lot faster. I don't have a speedo on mine but some of the group do and that's about what they say we get up to. my battery's ( I have 2 but never had to carry the second one ) are 503wh I think some of the other bikes have 460wh some have 350wh & others 700wh. personally I think 460wh or 350wh are good as they are lighter, the 700wh makes the bike heavier.
cheers

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unfortunately when you buy these electric scooters/bikes they are all speed restricted to 25kph due to stupid nanny society laws :disapp: usually a few key presses in the right order resolves that problem  :whistler:  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal