i30 Owners Club

GD rear discs & pads - which ones are right?

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My 2015 UK spec diesel hatchback has now done about 54000 miles, and I can see the rear pads are getting pretty thin. Does anyone know the part numbers for the genuine Hyundai discs and pads? The discs are 262mm diameter, and my car has 15" wheels. I understand that around 2015 Hyundai started fitting bigger 284mm discs with 16" wheels, and stopped offering 15" wheels because they were too small to fit around the larger brakes.  There are also options for cars with or without 'electronic handbrake'. My car has the hill start assist, which only works on really steep slopes, is that what they mean as 'electronic handbrake, or is that something different?

I'd like to get genuine Hyundai parts as the car is still in warranty
  • i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
if you don't have access to the parts system, and you don't like to talk to your dealer (for obvious reasons) try messaging sgpetch on Ebay with your VIN and they should tell you the part number and their price.

In my experience if you are happy to wait a little while you can often find the genuine parts for maybe half price on ebay.

The discs do have the part number stamped in to them - wheel off to check.

Don't forget to lube the glide bolts while doing it (ceramic grease)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Looking at recent dealer health checks, the pads were pretty healthy not so long ago, they've got very thin quite quickly, so I suspect the caliper or glide pins have seized up. I don't know if this would be covered under the warranty. I phoned the dealer and they said it would if the original parts were faulty, but if a glide pin corrodes and seizes up, isn't that because the original seals and lubrication are inadequate?

When I phoned the dealer about a price for replacing the rear pads, they asked if I wanted prices for using genuine hyundai parts or non-genuine. I asked if using non-genuine parts invalidated the warranty and they said no, it wouldn't.

Dealer quote for replacing rear pads with hyundai pads is £140, for non-hyundai parts it's £124. Seems a lot when I can get Bendix discs and pads - which I think are pretty good - from my local motor factors for about £65.
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
As suggested, I tried SG Petch and whilst they gave me prices, they wouldn't give me the part numbers. Company policy, I guess they've got wise to people using them to get part numbers and then buying cheaper elsewhere. You're right about the brake disc part number stamped on the disc, it was illegible on the right-hand side, but when I looked on the other side, the disc is a lot cleaner.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
58302A6A31 for non EPB,  std hand brake applications, right through the GD range to 2017

ROTOR
58411A6300, again 2012-17 262mm

(click to show/hide)
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Splendid, thanks a lot. The Bendix parts I have are 521600 for the brake discs, and 510870 for the pads. One thing I've noticed though is that on the Hyundai pad, there is a pip in the middle of the back of the pad, is this intended to fit it in a hole in the face of the caliper piston, to stop it from rotating?

The Bendix pad doesn't have that pip.
  • i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Splendid, thanks a lot. The Bendix parts I have are 521600 for the brake discs, and 510870 for the pads. One thing I've noticed though is that on the Hyundai pad, there is a pip in the middle of the back of the pad, is this intended to fit it in a hole in the face of the caliper piston, to stop it from rotating?

The Bendix pad doesn't have that pip.
Yes otherwise the handbrake won't work which will need resetting anyway. Was that number in that absurd list I put up?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
58302A6A31 for non EPB,  std hand brake applications, right through the GD range to 2017

(click to show/hide)

:Juggler: :Juggler: :Juggler: :Juggler: :Juggler:

Splendid, thanks a lot. The Bendix parts I have are 521600 for the brake discs, and 510870 for the pads.

Splendid?

:Dunno:

Was that number in that absurd list I put up?

:rolleyes:  Gets worse  :faint:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I see those are for Grandeur

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
(click to show/hide)

:Juggler: :Juggler: :Juggler: :Juggler: :Juggler:

Splendid, thanks a lot. The Bendix parts I have are 521600 for the brake discs, and 510870 for the pads.

Splendid?

:Dunno:
Hope you memorised all these.  :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Gerard, now I know why this site crashed ( thankfully) yesterday.  :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Gerard, now I know why this site crashed ( thankfully) yesterday.  :mrgreen:
Would you like me to quote it just one more time :mrgreen: I can't believe we end up with a part not in that list :snigger: :crazy2:
The list was meant to be in contrast to the "we don't supply numbers policy" :goodjob2:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

In the UK it seems much harder now to get information and part numbers (without paying) than it was 10 years ago. They charge for HMAService access now. Many ads from dealers don't detail part numbers.

My local dealer is also now the bland corporate money making machine, not the helpful individuals it was then either, having been taken over by a chain.

if you ask them to look at a warranty repair you need to sign up to being charged £100 (187 AUD) or so if they cant find the fault.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting Lorian.. no wonder you seldom hear the word progress being used these days... :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The plot thickens. I took the Bendix pads back to the motor factors, who checked and confirmed the pads were the ones for my car. They went and fetched a box of Brembo pads and some budget pads, neither of these had the correct pip on the backplate. I got a refund but still trying to find the right pad from somewhere.
  • i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The plot thickens. I took the Bendix pads back to the motor factors, who checked and confirmed the pads were the ones for my car. They went and fetched a box of Brembo pads and some budget pads, neither of these had the correct pip on the backplate. I got a refund but still trying to find the right pad from somewhere.
I guess you've noticed that lug is only on one  pad in each pair

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Yes I did, on the inner pad that bears against the piston. I think I should be able to get Pagid or Brembo pads, which if the photos on the website are correct, should include the liner plates that clip into the brake yoke. That's a bonus.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal