i30 Owners Club

CVT transmission familiarity and grinding sounds?

pidim · 14 · 9618

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all, does anyone here have any experience with CVT transmissions, especially the one in the RB Accent 1.4 litre MY2015 onwards, but general is okay.

The Accent is my other Hyundai of the household (brand loyal hey?). It’s an okay car and certainly not in the same league as an i30 but it does the job. This is the first car I have ever owned with a CVT so I’m not familiar with the sounds these things can make and whether they are a normal part of living with a CVT.

I never thought to ask about it here but the car is now 4 years old but only on 32,000 kms. Since new, I have noticed that when placed in drive and on a flat surface, once I release the brake pedal and the car begins to edge forward, there is a grinding sound  emanating while the car does that, which i assume is due to the characteristics of a CVT. As soon as I brake, it stops. It will also do this while gently accelerating up to 2000 rpm, once I release the accelerator the sound stops when coasting. If I accelerate normally and car is over 2000 rpm everything is fine.

Everything else about the CVT and drivability is normal.  It accelerates normally and cruises effortlessly on the freeways etc. I’m only guessing that it is the CVT and not the engine so was wondering if this characteristic is ‘normal’ at this end of the market for a car with CVT built to a price point.

Interested to hear your thoughts, if possible.
Thank you.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi mate, I've driven quite a few rentals (including Corollas) and my 3 x Hybrids have all had some form of CVT. The only common noise I've ever noticed which varies between brands and has reduced in intensity in newer models is the transmission/engine roar on hard acceleration /deceleration.   :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 @pidim  The CVT topic came up yesterday.

A mate with car 'know how' has a SUZUKI all wheel drive with the CVT. He pulled a car out of a ditch and killed the transmission. They are not rugged enough for that sort of work, even a minor one off  such as this tow was.

It still drives but in crap state. Apparently the belt strips and debris blocks the  fluid filter.

Checked the Suzuki site to find they are moving away from CVT probably to DCT.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

A mate with car 'know how' has a SUZUKI all wheel drive with the CVT. He pulled a car out of a ditch and killed the transmission. They are not rugged enough for that sort of work, even a minor one off  such as this tow was.

It still drives but in crap state. Apparently the belt strips and debris blocks the  fluid filter.

Thanks.  I don't think mine is any broken state but interesting what you say. I'm not sure DCT is much better for durability either, however.   :)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Thanks.  I don't think mine is any broken state but interesting what you say. I'm not sure DCT is much better for durability either, however.   :)

Tend to agree, a 'domestic use' transmission that comes with all the do and don't s does not sound very rugged.
While not as sporty we get good service from the slush box auto, but I still enjoy using a clutch and flipping through the gears. Funny how the ancient designed manual gearbox always seems to get me home.  :cool:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 19:51:28 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Manual gearchange FTW!
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I like being part of the 15%.  :goodjob: :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Manual gearchange FTW!
wush I could under stand the unternet.... a greeny term ?.....FTW = full/ flying/flaying tits in wilderness?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Manual gearchange FTW!
wush I could under stand the unternet.... a greeny term ?.....FTW = full/ flying/flaying tits in wilderness?
For The Win!

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Manual gearchange FTW!

Ahhhhhh! in that case   :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:  :mrgreen:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Suzuki said the transmission is designed to haul a reasonably heavy trailer. They replaced the transmission.
No charge.
 :goodjob2:  :goodjob2: :goodjob2: Suzuki

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all, does anyone here have any experience with CVT transmissions, especially the one in the RB Accent 1.4 litre MY2015 onwards, but general is okay.

The Accent is my other Hyundai of the household (brand loyal hey?). It’s an okay car and certainly not in the same league as an i30 but it does the job. This is the first car I have ever owned with a CVT so I’m not familiar with the sounds these things can make and whether they are a normal part of living with a CVT.

I never thought to ask about it here but the car is now 4 years old but only on 32,000 kms. Since new, I have noticed that when placed in drive and on a flat surface, once I release the brake pedal and the car begins to edge forward, there is a grinding sound  emanating while the car does that, which i assume is due to the characteristics of a CVT. As soon as I brake, it stops. It will also do this while gently accelerating up to 2000 rpm, once I release the accelerator the sound stops when coasting. If I accelerate normally and car is over 2000 rpm everything is fine.

Everything else about the CVT and drivability is normal.  It accelerates normally and cruises effortlessly on the freeways etc. I’m only guessing that it is the CVT and not the engine so was wondering if this characteristic is ‘normal’ at this end of the market for a car with CVT built to a price point.

Thank you.

Hey @pidim are you completely convinced the noise is emanating from your gearbox? Reason I ask is about two years ago I struggled for a whole year with a droning noise in our i30 at around 50km/h which turned out to be out-of-round tyres - I'm nowhere near suggesting that could be your case, but I just think the general unfounded concerns about CVT's in general can  cause us all to question it naturally ... we have a Suzuki Kizashi with a CVT that's now over 100k kms (like our i30 with the 6sp planetary gearbox) and it has never missed a beat. I got the tranny fluid flushed out for both vehicles recently and especially in the case of the Kizashi CVT, the fluid was still in very good shape with very little metal wear particles in the sump magnet. I've done a lot of research on CVT's - while they're nowhere near as robust as a manual gearbox, but hey neither is a DCT and a standard planetary transmission for that matter - under normal use (as in making sure the gearbox isn't getting too hot from prolonged rigorous or heavy towing use), being an auto box you should expect it to last up to 150k km and beyond with no overhauls required - this is probably no different from a planetary gearbox, which I expect to require some sort of overhaul (solenoids, valves) at around this age - my 2009 Sonata which I sold to my in laws, starting to have its 5spd planetary box play up (erratic first/second gear change) at around 179k km. I suspect Nissan's specific issues with a batch of their Jatco CVT's in the States (namely Altima and Pathfinder I believe) has clouded general perceptions of CVT reliability.

Most of all, if your car is only 4yrs old, it should still be under the Hyundai warranty? Even if it's older than 5 years and under 160k km and all services done to the book, the Aust Consumer Law entitles you to expect major components like the transmission to have a reasonable lifespan so there is recourse there should the CVT become an issue. Therefore personally I'd get Hyundai to check out this noise as a starting point ... but my point is the CVT might have nothing to do with it ....

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Thank you.

Hey @pidim are you completely convinced the noise is emanating from your gearbox? Reason I ask is about two years ago I struggled for a whole year with a droning noise in our i30 at around 50km/h which turned out to be out-of-round tyres - I'm nowhere near suggesting that could be your case, but I just think the general unfounded concerns about CVT's in general can  cause us all to question it naturally ... we have a Suzuki Kizashi with a CVT that's now over 100k kms (like our i30 with the 6sp planetary gearbox) and it has never missed a beat. I got the tranny fluid flushed out for both vehicles recently and especially in the case of the Kizashi CVT, the fluid was still in very good shape with very little metal wear particles in the sump magnet. I've done a lot of research on CVT's - while they're nowhere near as robust as a manual gearbox, but hey neither is a DCT and a standard planetary transmission for that matter - under normal use (as in making sure the gearbox isn't getting too hot from prolonged rigorous or heavy towing use), being an auto box you should expect it to last up to 150k km and beyond with no overhauls required - this is probably no different from a planetary gearbox, which I expect to require some sort of overhaul (solenoids, valves) at around this age - my 2009 Sonata which I sold to my in laws, starting to have its 5spd planetary box play up (erratic first/second gear change) at around 179k km. I suspect Nissan's specific issues with a batch of their Jatco CVT's in the States (namely Altima and Pathfinder I believe) has clouded general perceptions of CVT reliability.

Most of all, if your car is only 4yrs old, it should still be under the Hyundai warranty? Even if it's older than 5 years and under 160k km and all services done to the book, the Aust Consumer Law entitles you to expect major components like the transmission to have a reasonable lifespan so there is recourse there should the CVT become an issue. Therefore personally I'd get Hyundai to check out this noise as a starting point ... but my point is the CVT might have nothing to do with it ....

Thanks for the suggestion.  Since then I have replaced the tyres (the Kumhos wore out - SH17 are crappy tyres).  I will take a wait and see on this and see what happens.  It probably isn't a sinister issue about to happen as these sounds have been there since new. Nothing has changed or got worse... just the way it is under those conditions I mentioned.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal