i30 Owners Club

i30 1.6 diesel cdri 2014 I went through a giant puddle!

Offline Chris hotham

• 1st Gear

• england England
      East Riding of Yorkshire
 :-[ :-[  went through a giant rain pool on the road, engine chugged and stopped.  I have taken injectors out and purged engine a few times to get rid of any water, done this a couple of times,  when i put injectors back and start engine, it runs for 2 or 3 seconds then stops again. think it may have more water in inter cooler pipe under engine.  Any ideas how to get this water out of the engine, or  is it a new engine.. please help.. :undecided: :undecided: :undecided: :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 20:29:59 by Chris hotham »
  • 2014 5door Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:-[ :-[  went through a giant rain pool on the road, engine chugged and stopped.  I have taken injectors out and purged engine a few times to get rid of any water, done this a couple of times,  when i put injectors back and start engine, it runs for 2 or 3 seconds then stops again. think it may have more water in inter cooler pipe under engine.  Any ideas how to get this water out of the engine, or  is it a new engine.. please help.. :undecided: :undecided: :undecided: :-[ :-[ :-[
I think if you had water in the engine it would be damaged as water won't compress. If you suspect you have water through the intake system I'd be disassembling it to check or clear out.

You pulled the injectors out, have they been refitted with new sealing washers? And then torqued down .

Does it sound normal when it runs?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Not sure how to estimate your giant pool.  :scared:
 eg was it a mere puddle that seemed apocalyptic after your rousing Sunday mass; or was it attached to an unnoticed river after Friday prayer meeting at the pub?

Normally a diesel is unperturbed by a drenching, unless the intake has swallowed water.  Will address this below.

If you are "purging" the fuel system, make sure that you have not created air leaks, especially in the filter housing.

The lower hose of the inter cooler can be pulled off to drain any water; but, I have to question why you need to chase both these and the injectors.

If you have sucked that much water in through the air filter , you may have buggered the motor.
Water cannot be compressed, therefore pistons and con rods are damaged.
Given what you have said... :undecided: :undecided: :undecided: I would be doing a compression test on each cylinder.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Chris hotham

• 1st Gear

• england England
      East Riding of Yorkshire
🙄🙄Hi the size of the puddle was around 60 ft long and 12 ft wide around 2 - 3 ft deep and increasing due to the heavy rain we had all day Thursday.  It was a dark unlit road and the road just looked wet as I drove up and into it before realizing it was deeper than expected,, a car came the other way causing a lot of water and a bow wave into my car which then chugged coughed and stopped.  We pushed it to the side of the road where it sat all day Friday and Saturday morning till I started doing what I explained earlier.  So I was thinking that there may be water sat in the lower intercooler pipe under the engine. Could I take the intercooler out and put it in a warm oven to dry ?? Just trying to make sure that I'm going to have a fighting chance of saving my car.  Thanks ..🤔🤔

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
No just take the lower pipe off the intercooler and let it drain. However, the damage has probably been done. Your description makes me think internal damage. You may be lucky, but as said the diesel  can take everything except water into the intake. If its knocking , uneven or has rattle, confirm with a compression test and check heights of pistons.

Good luck, we await your findings. Cheers G.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
🙄🙄Hi the size of the puddle was around 60 ft long and 12 ft wide around 2 - 3 ft deep and increasing due to the heavy rain we had all day Thursday.  It was a dark unlit road and the road just looked wet as I drove up and into it before realizing it was deeper than expected,, a car came the other way causing a lot of water and a bow wave into my car which then chugged coughed and stopped.  We pushed it to the side of the road where it sat all day Friday and Saturday morning till I started doing what I explained earlier.  So I was thinking that there may be water sat in the lower intercooler pipe under the engine. Could I take the intercooler out and put it in a warm oven to dry ?? Just trying to make sure that I'm going to have a fighting chance of saving my car.  Thanks ..🤔🤔

Wow! Sorry to hear that... Giant puddle is a slight understatement! Small river might be more accurate! Double check all piping and such for fish and small children!  :crazy1:

Hope you can resurrect her, but like the others are saying, now we know the size of the puddle the odds aren't good!  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Insurance?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hopefully it's not internal damage.
The fact that it fired up and turned over at all would suggest no bent rods.
I hit a creek crossing in my rally car once at full noise, about 5000 rpm in 2nd gear. 
The K&N air filters on my side draught Webbers let a lot of water in.
Bent rods, scored bores, damaged pistons.
Pretty much threw everything away. I couldn't be sure the block wasn't compromised. 🤬
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Chris hotham

• 1st Gear

• england England
      East Riding of Yorkshire
 :crazy1: :crazy1: :goodjob2:car all fixed. Dropped bottom intercooler pipe off and about a cup full of water came out, took top cooler  pipe off wiped both ends dry , took injectors back out,  spun engine in small bursts to displace any leftover water,  mopped up water that was spurted out, cleaned and dried injectors, refitted them and started engine.  Ran for a few minutes,  it was smoking a little bit,  but was ok even on tick over.  So refitted intercooler pipes,  put in new air filter  turned engine and Running great. Took it down road, gently until on dual carriageway and gently opened it up  80mph it sound great, just like before. So easy cheap fix, this time  :crazy1:  maybe not so lucky next, if there is a next !!!. So if it happens to you you know what to do.  Thanks every one.. :P :P

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:crazy1: :crazy1: :goodjob2:car all fixed. Dropped bottom intercooler pipe off and about a cup full of water came out, took top cooler  pipe off wiped both ends dry , took injectors back out,  spun engine in small bursts to displace any leftover water,  mopped up water that was spurted out, cleaned and dried injectors, refitted them and started engine.  Ran for a few minutes,  it was smoking a little bit,  but was ok even on tick over.  So refitted intercooler pipes,  put in new air filter  turned engine and Running great. Took it down road, gently until on dual carriageway and gently opened it up  80mph it sound great, just like before. So easy cheap fix, this time  :crazy1:  maybe not so lucky next, if there is a next !!!. So if it happens to you you know what to do.  Thanks every one.. :P :P
Did you use new washers?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:goodjob2: Great outcome! :goodjob:

:wss:

However, given his river tour and his lack of mechanical knowledge, I dont think Chris really understands how lucky he is.

Another attempt to kill an i30 diesel fails.

:girlpower1:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Excellent feedback, well done.  There are many dangers to driving through water not least of which is the risk of dropping down a giant pothole....  keep well away for giant puddles  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Great result !  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Chris hotham buy a lottery ticket you are a very lucky person. Fingers crossed it keeps running!  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal